1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Whats the TimeFrame of getting listed

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by twiztedX3, Dec 19, 2009.

1. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    With regard to ODP, nothing at all.

Some volunteer will process your listing suggestion in time but we can't predict who or when that might be. Elapsed times can range from a few days to a few years. There is no need to re-suggest your website and doing so could be counter-productive because a later suggestion overwrites any earlier one.

jimnoble, Jan 14, 2010 IP
  2. PLAYMATE

PLAYMATE Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been waiting almost 4 years and nothing. I have a great site and a pr4 ranking. And its listed everywhere.

PLAYMATE, Jan 27, 2010 IP
  3. grasshopper09

grasshopper09 Peon

Best Answers:
    I even applied to become an editor a month ago to speed up the inclusion. But no lack yet. Never got a response.

grasshopper09, Jan 27, 2010 IP
  4. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In your other post you said you got an auto response. Check your spam filters etc, meanwhile, look at the advice provided in the other thread :)

snooks, Jan 27, 2010 IP
  5. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you even gave the impression that you wanted to join only to speed up your site being listed you are highly likely to be rejected.

But if you want to chase this up you can do so here
    http://www.resource-zone.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Edit to add
    At least you have now had the same answer from two editors because you duplicate posted the question, I see.

Anonymously, Jan 28, 2010 IP
  6. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Great you have done a good deal or work to promote your site well. So why are you worried about one more?

Worth saying that DMOZ is not a listing service, a review for a possible listing can take from a few days to a few years. We are not interested in PR, I don't even know how to find that out and have listed over 20,000 sites, you will not be told the outcome of a review.

A final word, please don't re-submit it will do no good and can delay a review and many re-submissions can get the site banned.

7. PLAYMATE

PLAYMATE Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that their rules should be changed. It's ridiculous.

PLAYMATE, Jan 28, 2010 IP
  8. grasshopper09

grasshopper09 Peon

Best Answers:
    At the same time dmoz says that if you're an expert in your field, you can apply. I guess, the editor will have to review all of the submitted sites in the order they came.

I hope somebody else will review my site soon. But if the only way to speed up the inclusion, is to review everyone before my request, why not help?

grasshopper09, Jan 28, 2010 IP
  9. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Sorry the submissions pool is not a queue. Editors can either use the pool or not use it, their choice and they can cherry pick from the pool sites where submitters have clearly tried to follow DMOZ guidelines on titles and descriptions, select newly suggested sites or clear out all the old ones.

Remember this is our hobby, no one is made to edit in areas they don't want to edit in. We choose to apply to edit in areas and iuf given permission to do so, how much, how often, what we use as a resource is entirely up to teh discretion of the editor. But we do make that abundantly clear here
    http://www.dmoz.org/add.html

But I am sure that you read all those guidelines on suggesting sites before you actually did so, didn't you?

Playmate
    Can I come round and tell you how to run your stamp collection or what ever hobby you have? Can I come round and tell you how to spend your spare time?
    I think you might complain that it is nothing to do with me how you spend your spare time. Well this is the spare time of editors where they enjoy their hobby of collating and collecting web sites. That's why we have no interest in if we give the sites added value or not, neither do we have any interest in if the site has good PR or not. It is only a directory. The fact that Google and others choose to use our dumps is nothing whatever to do with us, so long as people give the correct attribution our material is free to use by anyone.

People are also welcome to apply to be editors, we have no problems if they have their own sites provided that they do not seem to want to join just to get it listed and then go, like some people I could name. But we do have a standard, with such discretion given to us and with such a high quality directory we can't accept any tom, dick or harry.

10. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Absolutely untrue.

Editors build categories; they aren't unpaid clerks running a listing service for website owners.

Suggested websites aren't somehow more deserving of a listing than those that haven't been suggested and there certainly isn't a rigidly enforced queuing system. Indeed, in some spam magnet categories, the pool of listing suggestions is one of the the last places one would look for worthwhile sites.

jimnoble, Jan 28, 2010 IP
  11. izu-mou

izu-mou Active Member

Best Answers:
    Within A week!
    I submitted my first website, it was not listed so I found out the problem.The editor of the category is a competitor to me. I was sad.
    After creating another website ( in a different category, I submitted it, I was reluctant but I did. I came as a surprise when I analyzed my website with yahoo tool, I found out that DMOZ is the no 1 source of my backlink, I check backed and found out my site accept. Thank You DMOZ! You guys are great!

izu-mou, Feb 7, 2010 IP
  12. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What happens if a site offers to pay and then they get permanently banned. Can they take gworld to court for giving paid advice?

Agent000, Feb 7, 2010 IP
  13. moneyfunctions

moneyfunctions Peon

Best Answers:
    lets face it, it wouldn't be hard to produce a disclaimer should any issue regarding litigation arise. I agree its their site and they can do what they want. if you cant get listed just build a bridge and get over it!

moneyfunctions, Feb 7, 2010 IP
  14. RemoteDSL

RemoteDSL Peon

Best Answers:
    I submitted one of my domains over 10 years go! I don't have any ads on the site and always have fresh content so I honestly don't know why some sites are not selected and some are.

RemoteDSL, Feb 9, 2010 IP
  15. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    If it was over 4 years ago, you can submit again we had a famous crash and lost all the suggestions. It was bliss working during that period.;)

If you read the stickie it will tell you something like, editors chose where, when and how long to work in an area which is within their agreed working area. It is also a choice of an editor which resources they use and suggestions is just one resource. We also make selections this paragraph from guidelines, which you must have read already or you would not be in any position to know how we selected sites or comment that you do not understand, explains
    http://www.dmoz.org/add.html

Anonymously, Feb 9, 2010 IP
  16. Hawkthalas

Hawkthalas Peon

Best Answers:
    I have waited for more than 6 months with no luck T.T

Hawkthalas, Feb 9, 2010 IP
  17. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    You don't want to hear this but be prepared for a wait measured in years because it can take from a few days to a few years to get a review for a possible listing. Please remedmber we do not set ourselves as a listing service, we do not promise to review in good time. Suggested sites are only one source we use to build DMOZ directory and we deliberately encourage editors to go and look for sites even when sites sit in the suggestions pool.

Anonymously, Feb 10, 2010 IP