1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

what is nofollow and dofollow links?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by asianbridge, Feb 5, 2010.

hello dears

any body can tell me that what is nofollow and dofollow links, which ( both of them ) link search engine read immediately. and
    what the definition of nofollow & dofollow please tell me in detail

thanks

asianbridge, Feb 5, 2010 IP
  2. coders123

coders123 Peon

Best Answers:
    It is already discussed here many times,
    "No follow" means, in some forum, etc in this forum itself, if you post URL as reply or as profile content, you are not going to get any advantage in terms of SEO.( it wont be a valid back link since there is nofollow)

but once you become a permanent member or paid member you can post the fixed number of URL as your singature, and will get result as back link.

i think i've explained it. may be better answer you will get from google. If you need i can send list of dofollow forums.

coders123, Feb 6, 2010 IP
  3. expertofexperts

expertofexperts Active Member

Best Answers:
    NO-follow = No link juice for your website or blog.

Do-Follow = Link juice for your website or blog and will help in getting higher PR.

Both kind of links are read by search engine and indexing with any kind of link will make no difference.

Still make sure that Quality of link matters. So try to get as good incoming links as possible.

expertofexperts, Feb 6, 2010 IP
  4. forump

forump Peon

Best Answers:
    To tell the spiders to crawl a link, you don’t have to do anything. Simply using the format shown above, the search engine spiders will crawl the link provided.

To tell the spiders to NOT crawl a link, you need to add the following code to the HTML code above:

rel="nofollow"

Basically, there is no true “dofollow”, it is just NOT using the “nofollow” tag. Pretty simple, eh?

forump, Feb 6, 2010 IP
  5. Sammy Nams

Sammy Nams Peon

Best Answers:
    Important addition to this discussion.

nofollow tag is attached to the destination URL and not the link itself. Bruce Clay has said this and seems to have confirmed it with Matt Cutts. This was discussed at PubCon 2009.

Sammy Nams, Feb 6, 2010 IP
  6. leaks100

leaks100 Peon

Best Answers:
    hmmp., do follow its good better than no follow.
    Do Follow – many look on this as the granddaddy of No Follow plug ins – you just switch it on and it works, all no follows are removed from comments and track backs.

No follow – Including this link for historical reasons – Bron-ski plug in doesn’t work with newer versions of Word press, but credit where credit is due.

leaks100, Feb 6, 2010 IP
  7. Dilsad

Dilsad Peon

Best Answers:
    yes do follow its better than no follow.because google give more value do follow

Dilsad

Dilsad, Feb 6, 2010 IP
  8. joesmith

joesmith Peon

Best Answers:
    If its a dofollow link crawler can crawl that link and some link juice can be passed. While it's a no follow link you cannot get the link juice.

joesmith, Feb 6, 2010 IP
  9. meetali

meetali Active Member

Best Answers:
    It is so simple dofollow means crawler follow that links and nofollow crawler will not follow that link..In SEO point of view work on that link which is dofollow

meetali, Feb 6, 2010 IP
  10. Dilsad

Dilsad Peon

Best Answers:
    yes
    i agree with you.

nofollow links are not good for SEO point.

Dilsad, Feb 6, 2010 IP
  11. wizzer

wizzer Peon

Best Answers:
    You can use nofollow links on your own site to strengthen pages by not spreading your PR around in your site too much. For example you might want to boost your maincategories and no follow the subcategories to make the former ones stronger.

wizzer, Feb 6, 2010 IP
  12. Slincon

Slincon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There's a bit of confusion, a lot of people think nofollow links are worthless but they aren't.

Nofollow doesn't pass pr but it can still lead to a site getting indexed. No index is what prevents a site from being indexed. Google mentions that it visits lots of sites, and if it sees a nofollow on a link that it already has in its database, it will simply move on and avoid the nofollowed link. But if the link goes to a site it doesn't know about - it records the url but doesn't follow the link through. Later on, if Googlebot deems it fit, it may actually spider that site.

However experience shows it will spider the site but it won't list the site in the results. The only way to tell that it was spidered is by doing a search for "site:webdomain.org" , which should return that page if it was spidered. There will likely be no cached page for it as well. Once the site gets at least one dofollow backlink it should start being listed in the directory and get cached.

You can also read an exaplanation on What NoFollow Does.

Slincon, Feb 6, 2010 IP
  13. ranenature

ranenature Peon

Best Answers:
    Definition of nofollow is an HTML attribute value used to instruct some search engines that a hyperlink should not influence the link target's ranking in the search engine's index. It is intended to reduce the effectiveness of certain types of search engine spam, thereby improving the quality of search engine results and preventing spamdexing from occurring.
    This is how dofollow is described- DoFollow sites are sites that do not use the nofollow tag. Links from DoFollow sites do get noticed by search engines, thus boosting their value.

ranenature, Feb 6, 2010 IP
  14. biglion

biglion Peon

Best Answers:
    @coders123:
    I would like to get the dofollow forum list.
    Would you share it? It will help us newbie a lot.

Thanks in advance

biglion, Feb 6, 2010 IP
  15. AndersonLandon

AndersonLandon Peon

Best Answers:
    Can you send me some lists of your do follow forums?

Thanks in advance.

AndersonLandon, Feb 6, 2010 IP
  16. expertofexperts

expertofexperts Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know what you have written in your article but i will surely backup your facts about no-follow links.

They are not only helpful for getting website indexed but also helps your website to get Google crawler or any other crawler to visit your website frequently and also you are sure to get visitors if you post some comments which are really good to read.

So don't only concentrate on PR but also look for visitors in this way.

expertofexperts, Feb 7, 2010 IP
  17. Aff Marketer

Aff Marketer Peon

Best Answers:

Dofollow links are links that the search engine bots will follow to your site and index your pages and associate it with anchor text of the link it followed.

With nofollow links the search engine bots will not follow this link to your site and index your pages from this link.

Dofollow links help with your SERP rankings.

Aff Marketer, Feb 8, 2010 IP
  18. seo555

seo555 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you’ve been doing any kind of reading about link building, then you’ve probably seen people mentioning “nofollow” and “dofollow” links. These are very important terms to understand when you are trying to build great links back to your site in order to increase your search engine rankings. But, to the person who is new to all of this, it may be kind of confusing. I am going to help break it down for you.

When creating a link on a webpage using HTML, the standard code for that link is:

Search Engine Optimization

It includes the HTML tag, the URL the link will be going to, the text that will be shown on the webpage for that link, and the closing HTML tag.

You are able to add more HTML to the code above, in order to tell the search engine spiders whether or not you want them to follow the link when crawling your website. You may be thinking… “Why wouldn’t I want the search engine spiders to see all of the links on my site?” This is a very valid concern, which I will address further down. First, I am going to show you how to modify the HTML in order to tell the search engine spiders to crawl a link or not.

To tell the spiders to crawl a link, you don’t have to do anything. Simply using the format shown above, the search engine spiders will crawl the link provided.

To tell the spiders to NOT crawl a link, you need to add the following code to the HTML code above:

rel="nofollow"

It would then look like:

Search Engine Optimization

Basically, there is no true “dofollow”, it is just NOT using the “nofollow” tag. Pretty simple, eh? (No, I am not Canadian… well, kind of.)

Why does this matter?

When you are using different methods (hopefully from this site) in order to build links on other websites (to increase your search engine rankings), you need to determine if the websites you are attempting to get your site listed on use the “nofollow” tag or not. If they do, it may still be a good idea to try to get that link there, but it is generally regarded as not the best use of time since the search engines don’t follow that link and you don’t get any increase in search engine rankings from that link.

So, when you are looking for sites and blogs that you could leave your link on (through reciprocal links, commenting on a blog, directory submissions, buying links, etc) figure out if the links in the particular section of the site you are aiming for uses “nofollow” or not. (A good way to do this is to view the source code, or find some good “dofollow” lists such as Courtney Tuttle’s D-list )

Why wouldn’t I want the search engine spiders to see all of the links on my site? (Or, Why would I use “nofollow”?)

There are many reasons you would want to use the “nofollow” tag, such as:
    1) Paid Links: This is recommended by Google. Essentially, your sites page rank give a small amount of rank juice to the sites you link to (which helps their search engine ranking, which is the purpose of link building, to get that juice from others). If you have a paid link on your site, it’s essentially buying a higher rank in Google. They don’t like that.

2) Maybe in your blog’s comment section (if using most blog software, this is automatic). It is up to you if you want your commentators to get link juice back to their site. It is personal preference.

3) When linking to major, very popular sites. If you are linking to google.com, yahoo.com, digg.com (the front page), cnn.com, or whoever else, they are already popular, so you might as well use “nofollow” since your link won’t make or break them.

I hope this has been helpful. Feel free to comment or use the contact link in the top right of the page if you have any questions about this, or any link building subject.

UPDATE:
    Now that you know what dofollow is, you can easily find dofollow blogs with my DoFollow Blogs Search Engine, DoFollow Diver!

seo555, Feb 8, 2010 IP
  19. Syscraft123

Syscraft123 Peon

Best Answers:
    The most important difference between Nofollow and Do follow links are that no follow links are not crawled by search engine while dofollow links are crawled by the search engine which is considered as very crucial part when you are submitting any directory of website.. Dofollow links are to be followed.

Syscraft123, Feb 9, 2010 IP
  20. holliegibson

holliegibson Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks seo555, I found your post really useful.

holliegibson, Feb 9, 2010 IP