1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Rules The "Cost" of giving red rep... What kinda crap is that !?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by locals, Feb 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Hey ... i will be sure to participate in the REPUTATION PROGRAM !! considering when someone else does something that is not benefitial to the community and i notify you guys I ALSO GET RED REP :mad:

that is the dumbest thing i have came across on the internet... im sorry if this post offended any of the DP mods or whatever. Also, I must say I will NEVER give anyone a bad reputation for hurting the forum.

what a great way to produce forum productivity :confused:

locals, Feb 4, 2010 IP
  2. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    Keeps down rep wars.

Smyrl, Feb 4, 2010 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Dumbest thing you ever heard? Really?

Is it as dumb as other forums not even giving you the option to give red rep even if you wanted to?

If that's really the dumbest thing you've ever heard in your entire life, you really need to get out more my friend. :)

digitalpoint, Feb 4, 2010 IP
    abstroose likes this.
  4. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Okay... maybe, it was just a blow from out of no where... and i dont really know what happens after giving red rep, like if you guys check in to it or what not... but I think that maybe before allowing someone to give red rep it be explained that you will also get it. I personally think there could be a better way, but i do understand the Rep War thing...

also, maybe... just maybe... it is better then not being able to give red rep at all.... BUT that is only if you guys look into the reasons for red rep.

Sorry for any confusion... but I just think that it should be a little more out in the open that there is repercussions for leaving red rep ... also maybe the person who gave red rep... should receive TWICE the red rep if they are falsely giving red rep, but then that is up to the discretion of the mod reviewing the situation at the time. so i dont know if that would work either... i just dont think we should be penalized for notifing the community.

its like calling the cops because you saw some ones car getting broken into ... and since you saw it and decided to interrupt their donut break they arrest you too !

locals, Feb 4, 2010 IP
  5. deluxdon

deluxdon Catch Me If You Can...!!!™ Staff

Best Answers:
    And who decide that ?? BTW just to let you know that Reputation is an unmoderated area.

DON.

deluxdon, Feb 4, 2010 IP
  6. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    no one decided that... it was a simple idea on a way to stop Rep Wars. I have know idea. i dont run forums because it is a very hard task to manage... but i like participating in them :)

locals, Feb 4, 2010 IP
  7. ab420

ab420 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think it's a great system, but I had no idea that it worked that way. I'm actually considering that for my own forum now...

ab420, Feb 4, 2010 IP
  8. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    please read the post... as i also think the SYSTEM is a great one... thats why i participated in it today. but then i found out that there were penalties for participating in the GREAT SYSTEM

locals, Feb 4, 2010 IP
  9. Stroh

Stroh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    and to keep knuckleheads from using it otherwise you'll have Ninte erm I mean crazy people running around red repping for the fun of it :D :D :D :D

Stroh, Feb 4, 2010 IP
    mentos likes this.
  10. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You realize of course there is a red note that tells you beforehand, right?

Go to the rep window and tick "Disapprove" (you don't need to submit it).

We do let you know beforehand, but we can't make you read, sorry.

digitalpoint, Feb 4, 2010 IP
  11. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LOL... well i guess a little bit of attention to detail goes along way :eek:

its pretty much right in your face too...

locals, Feb 4, 2010 IP
  12. zodiac

zodiac Peon

Best Answers:
    isn't there some cut off point where you wont get the red?
    i haven't handed out any in a while,but lately i've given a few and i haven't received any.

zodiac, Feb 5, 2010 IP
    mentos likes this.
  13. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    I do not believe this is the case. DP is very democratic. What is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

Smyrl, Feb 5, 2010 IP
  14. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    People will give rep by seeing your post quality.
    So post up good post.

By the way,how long does a person need to wait before allow to give rep to the same person again?

mentos, Feb 6, 2010 IP
  15. Pros

Pros Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think "to prevent rep wars" basically summed up the answer to this issue beautifully. It seems like a simple modification for a step closer to self-moderation of rep.

You also can't see who repped you, which is another way of preventing rep wars. It's very easy though, for some huge-ego'd individual to get a bad rep and re-rep everyone in the thread negatively because his sense of importance has been hurt. This way, it's "an eye for an eye" which happens to work well in this scenario.

If you have such a grievance that its worth to take from yourself, to let them know (outside of the thread), then go do it. Otherwise, keep to yourself or appropriately comment in the thread. It's at your discretion.

Pros, Feb 6, 2010 IP
  16. CountryBoy

CountryBoy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    A lot of forums let you see who is leaving you red rep.
    If you were able to see then it might reduce the risk of rep wars because patterns would be easier to spot.
    Anyway... I'll scuttle away now.

CountryBoy, Feb 6, 2010 IP
  17. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Or allow premium members to pay for the ability to see who left rep. The idea alone that people could pay to see who left anonymous red rep would stop people from leaving nasty rep messages they wouldn't do otherwise.

Even if I'm completely wrong and it makes a bit more work for the mods you still would gain a minimum $25 a pop in revenue added to the community. Not to mention all the people who would pay for a subscription so anonymous reppers would only give deserved red rep and keep the comments civil.

But we've had a thread on this before and people persistently tried their best to make it about me instead of the issue until they succeeded. :)

GeorgeB., Feb 22, 2010 IP
  18. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Are you trying to start something? How dare you say that. [etc etc etc]

Actually I've mentioned before that having the sender's name show beside the rep on another forum had the effect of decreasing the amount of red rep folks use (people do love that anonymity)... but nobody here believed the experience transfered from forum to forum. Maybe theyre right, I dunno. Anyway if they took my advice it'd spoil all the fun of quietly tormenting the serious trolls, so I'm probably better off that nobody believes me. :p I'd trade it for a button labeled "Make poster's butt grow together", but I dont think that mods been perfected yet.

robjones, Feb 22, 2010 IP
  19. free.man

free.man Member

Best Answers:
    same here,.. never give a rep to other,.. in other forum I have joined, just hit thanks button .... LOL :p

free.man, Feb 23, 2010 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.