1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Organ Donation

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by stOx, Feb 2, 2010.

I have for a long time made it known to my family that when I inevitably die I want for my organs to be donated. I want as much of my body to be used as possible, I want no limitations put on what is taken and no limitations put on what it is used for. After everything of value is taken id quite like what's left to be given to science to do with as they see fit, whether that be to test cleaning products on my skin or throw my skull off a tower to test crash helmets. I don't care.

I can't think of a good reason to not donate organs. I'd go as far as to say not donating your organs, all of them, is almost callous and perverse. why wouldn't you want to save up to 8 lives by giving things you no longer need? Not to mention restoring someone's sight with the donation of your cornea. Why would you prefer that your body be either incinerated or buried to rot away rather than putting it to good use after you no longer need it and saving the lives of up to eight people?

I don't agree that organ donation should be compulsory, if people want to be selfish bastards that's up to them, but i do think the policy should be "opt out". I do think it should be assumed that you want to donate your organs unless you have explicitly and officially made it known that you don't.

stOx, Feb 2, 2010 IP
    sawz likes this.
  2. david.michael

david.michael Active Member

Best Answers:
    man are u committing suicide ?

david.michael, Feb 2, 2010 IP
  3. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    no i'm not, why?

stOx, Feb 2, 2010 IP
  4. Traditione

Traditione Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Organ Donation will cause doctors and those Obama insurance death panels to treat terminally/critically ill patients less aggressively if they have an organ that is needed for a transplant...DUH

...I really don't understand why religions have problems with organ donation/cremation/burial in land that is not deemed properly holy enough

Traditione, Feb 2, 2010 IP
  5. ncz_nate

ncz_nate Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I guess it makes sense to do that. I know I don't want put in a coffin. So it's either cremation or that.

I used to think to myself "someday I will be a rotting carcass with bugs crawling through me." Everything you have will decay into dust with time.. but you are immortal in a way by donating your organs (that is if they're being used as replacements for others).

ncz_nate, Feb 2, 2010 IP
  6. cientificoloco

cientificoloco Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I guess nobody who opposes to organ donation will say anything here as they know their arguments will be embarrassing.

cientificoloco, Feb 2, 2010 IP
  7. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    If you're interested in full body donation, here's an article about Science Care, where they will pay for all transportation and cremation. They use as much of your body as possible, and the unused portion gets cremated and returned to your family in 5-6 weeks.

I like the idea of full body donation because it relieves the family of the financial burden, everything is taken care of, and you're really helping others. If you think of the alternatives, in reality, they are no more respectful than full body donation. I'm seriously considering doing this.

Rebecca, Feb 2, 2010 IP
  8. new

new Peon

Best Answers:
    move to isreal
    they are really good at organ stealing business
    and will take care of your organs very well and you won't have to worry about telling your family and will etc .. the isrealis themselves will take care of everything ;)

new, Feb 2, 2010 IP
  9. dilipsam

dilipsam Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Better still go to Palestine. You don't need to end your life or you don't even need an operation because your organs can be picked up from the street soon after someone blows up!

dilipsam, Feb 2, 2010 IP
  10. new

new Peon

Best Answers:
    truth hurts doesn't it :p
    I can feel your burns, go have a shower ;)

new, Feb 2, 2010 IP
  11. wwws

wwws Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'll want to be cremated and not donate anything, selfish as it maybe, but that's just the way is. If a motherf*cker drinks a gallon of wine and soon it's wanting a liver, I say tough luck, you've had your fun and go away, makes space.

I also have this thinking that if you are a donor, they might not even try to save you, sometimes things can get corrupt and doctors can be bought and there had been in some instances that sh8t do happens, most of all I think it produces fraud.

I think in a moderation when a few do donate is a good thing because it gives those crazy scientist some practice,..ever seen those guys having fun on a video with dead bodies(very disrespectful), makes you want to think about donating.

wwws, Feb 3, 2010 IP
  12. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Most people who need transplants need them through no fault of their own. The idea that you would spite someone in need of an organ to get back at some imaginary alcoholic who you don't even know seems pretty petty.

That doesn't make any sense. I'm pretty sure any doctor willing to essentially kill you to harvest your organs isn't going to care if you consent to donation or not. The idea that they would leave you to die but then give a shit about whether you agreed to donate or not is laughable. Do you not think that if they are willing to let you needlessly die they would also be willing to take your organs without consent? try thinking this stuff through.

stOx, Feb 3, 2010 IP
  13. wwws

wwws Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I actually know someone for a long time and he has drank his life away and is waiting for a transplant, I wont miss him.

This is how it is with me: If I'm sick and can be cured, fine. If not, fine too because that is just the way it is.

Thinking like that is naive, you just don't know what people are capable of , just because a doctor is a doctor, it really means nothing to me, if he does he's job throughout his life as a good doctor, then awesome, but some doctors are being bought for selling or recommending prescriptions by the Meds company that maybe a secondary to what he should have prescribed in the first place.

Imagine that they know your a donor and you got into an accident and you could be saved, but since your a donor they might not do the best for you because there's someone wanting your body parts and is willing to pay a large sum of cash. Those aren't wide spread currently, but it does happen in a certain places in the world (China,India) where you really don't have to die to "donate" organs, for a quick $5,000 or whatever you get for a kidney.

I don't know if your aware that there are a lot of organ traffickers out there. Here's one of a bunch of Rabbi's and another here, Singapore, Iraqi, and much more.

I know what your saying and those links are organ traffickers, but what I'm saying is, things in that nature leads to fraud since there's a lot of money involve, people of wealth will want to have the first priorities and will do what it takes to get it where crooks comes up with many creative ways to commit fraud.

I think it is a good gesture though that people are willing to donate themselves so that others could live longer, but we are all going to die sooner or later, then why not naturally, nature made them to have what they have, so it's a natural thing.

I'll donate my ass so every one can kiss it, anything else can be roasted,..well done.

wwws, Feb 3, 2010 IP
  14. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    yeah some people who are waiting for a transplant are alcoholics. I also know someone, he is a 5 year old boy who is waiting for a heart transplant because he was born with a congenital defect. Fancy telling him he is going to die because you want to spite an alcoholic?

You are failing to address the actual point i made. Do you think a doctor capable of leaving you to die in order to harvest your organs is going to care if you actually agreed to donate or not?

If they are willing to deny you medical treatment in order to speed up your death the fact that you haven't agreed to donate your organs isn't going to concern them is it.

stOx, Feb 3, 2010 IP
  15. wwws

wwws Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Bad for the boy and it is not he's fault, it's he's parents genetics that cause it or whatever it is, that's where his destiny lies. Yea it sounds cold, but it is the way it is, there are millions of them in the world and not just him, what can you do, kill a living so that a "special" someone can live?

I wish that before any couple that wants to bring life in this world, should really consider on many factors first, because life is tough most of the time as we all know it, not all of the times, but most and it would break my heart if that was my boy going through the hard phase in his short life, luckily there's heaven:D

wwws, Feb 3, 2010 IP
  16. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Not cold, hypocritical. I guessing you wouldn't turn down medical treatment, right? I'm guessing you have been vaccinated against diseases. I'm guessing when it comes down to your own well being "destiny" plays no part. I wouldn't mind if you actually stood by what you are saying, but the reality is you don't, which makes it hard for me to take anything you say seriously. it's all just hot air entirely contradicted by your actions.

Nobody is suggesting we kill anyone to harvest organs. Organs will be removed as an alternative to burning them or burying. I am yet to hear a coherent argument against it yet which doesn't involve petty spite.

stOx, Feb 4, 2010 IP
  17. alexispetrov

alexispetrov Peon

Best Answers:
    I get what you are saying and personally I would donate my own organs if I could; however I can't - I've had juvenile (type one) diabetes since I was 10 so by the time I die my organs wont be able to be donated.

Also while I like the notion, I know I couldn't bare the idea of my partner's organs being donated unless he were truly passionate about it - when our ashes are mixed we'll both be "all there". >.<'

Again though, good on you.

alexispetrov, Feb 6, 2010 IP