1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Question: Reseller hosting for multiple websites?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by lor, Jan 23, 2010.

Forgive my stupidity, but if I want to run several of my own websites, is this reseller hosting? Are you expected to sell or can you use the c-panels yourself. I found one with a lot of space and c-panels, (I'm sure there are 1000s) and it seems to be inclusive for $10 per month. I'm assuming that's $10 for any number of websites total?

Otherwise, does anyone know how I can do this all on one host, without paying $10 per website per month? I'd be grateful for your assistance.

lor, Jan 23, 2010 IP
  2. mike8044

mike8044 Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't worry, everyone starts somewhere :)

Yes, what you said is right. A reseller account allows you to create cPanel accounts for yourself, or other people. If it says "You can create 100 cpanels", that means you can create 100 cpanel accounts =)

mike8044, Jan 23, 2010 IP
    lor likes this.
  3. tentwenty

tentwenty Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can use shared web hosting if your hosting provider allows you to create addon domains.

if you are looking to sell hosting a reseller hosting package is better but for your own websites shared would be ok.

tentwenty, Jan 23, 2010 IP
    lor likes this.
  4. njoker555

njoker555 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Agreed. A reseller is only needed when you want different logins for each website, otherwise using addon domains would be fine on any host.

njoker555, Jan 23, 2010 IP
  5. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    This is depend on the company.
    Some company does have limit for the amount of cpanel you can create.

Another disadvantage of shared hosting is when you hosted 100 site,then the company will detect your shared hosting account used too much CPU and RAM thus suspend your account.

mentos, Jan 23, 2010 IP
    lor likes this.
  6. lor

lor Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, fellas. Had to go out of town yesterday and tried to log in on another computer, but DP wasn't having it, so forgive the late thank-you.

njoker555, you said ...
    "A reseller is only needed when you want different logins for each website, otherwise using addon domains would be fine on any host."

Well, this is part of what I don't understand. I see plenty of hosting ads that say things like "unlimited add-on domains and host unlimited websites, for $10." I did a live chat with one before I posed the question here, and the response was "$10 per month per each website added." So, you can see the confusion. Those ads and badly written.

I'm still confused, but a little less so. Off to do more research and answer all those "I have hosting" emails that came in after I posed my question yesterday. :)

lor, Jan 24, 2010 IP
  7. njoker555

njoker555 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What company said it's $10 per extra website?

I know some pretty old companies that have been in business for more than a decade used to charge per website hosted but that trend has changed greatly over the years.

I've been in the business for quite some time and if we charged people to host extra websites, we would have been pretty rich by now. I like the idea, but it's not the norm in today's hosting world is what I'm saying.

More research would help - you're on the right track asking questions to your hosts. Many others just sign up and then start complaining when they don't get what they wanted. And I agree that some of the ads can be misleading but it's always a good idea to just ask.

njoker555, Jan 24, 2010 IP
    lor likes this.
  8. kunnusingh

kunnusingh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am already face this problem, but after 6 - 8 month, i found affordable host in DP :)

and after purchase host i am make ticket in my host provider for solve this problem(multiple domain hosting)

and owner sugest me for upgrade shared to reseller account(40GB Reseller hosting at $5 month - lol:)

also you can't add .gTLD in addon domain.

Why reseller hosting for multiple domain?
    You can edit DNS, MX, Suspend page, Add 100+ domains ,etc + easy to add any domain and free to do anything yourself

why not Addon Domain??
    lots of DNS problems(wraper error,etc)
    CPU uses risk.

I hope my experience is helpful for you.

Sorry for my bad english.

kunnusingh, Jan 24, 2010 IP
  9. 1imran

1imran Peon

Best Answers:
    Couple of reasons why I like to use reseller accounts vs a regular shared hosting account:

- If you ever decide to sell websites on DP or elsewhere, it would make your life much easier if each website has own cpanel account.
    - Its easier to transfer website to buyer's hosting account, or charge them for hosting. If buyer wants to move website to there own host, and you don't know how to move the site, then you have to give them access to your main hosting account - which will give them access to all your websites.
    - Add on domains don't have email accounts, only the primary account on the shared hosting account has cpanel email access. So if you need email addresses on your hosting account for other domains, you are out of luck.
    - Your shared hosting account is monitored by the host as one, regardless of how many domains you host on it. So if you one of your website is violating the host's Terms of Service, all your websites will go down.

1imran, Jan 24, 2010 IP
    lor likes this.
  10. lor

lor Active Member

Best Answers:
    <<If you ever decide to sell websites on DP or elsewhere, it would make your life much easier if each website has own cpanel account.>>

That's a good point, 1imran. And exactly what I hope to do eventually.

Thanks for your upbeat points, Kunet. Not bad English for a second language.

njoker555, thanks for all your help. I couldn't find that company again. After the live chat I didn't bother to save it. I just came here for some thoughts and I got them in spades.

All of you have been very helpful. Thanks so much.
    Lor

lor, Jan 25, 2010 IP
  11. nemolink

nemolink Peon

Best Answers:
    I think its better to get shared web hosting but with that you can get some ip,s.

nemolink, Jan 29, 2010 IP