1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dmoz Has 10,000+ Dead Links

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Jin, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I didn't know that YOU say it's worthless! I also didn't know that you still want your sites "published" there (is that the word they are now using in place of LIST?). I bet that AOL is also thinking it's worthless and yet still wanting to be published :rolleyes:

Remember EVERYONE includes YOU.

Qryztufre, Jan 22, 2010 IP
  2. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I thought you maintained AOL did not own it. Make up your mind.

Anonymously, Jan 22, 2010 IP
  3. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Love how you twist things in an attempt to cast dispersions.

Not me:confused: Of the 5-6 sites i operate, only one is published in DMOZ. The others are not compliant to the guidelines so I havent suggested them, even though I have editing permissions DIRECTLY where they would be published.

snooks, Jan 22, 2010 IP
  4. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    That is a potential conflict of interests and you should be removed just to be sure. :p

Ivan Bajlo, Jan 23, 2010 IP
  5. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    And a "Good Morning" to you also, Ivan. :)

As you well know, Editors are permitted to own and operate sites, including publishing them into DMOZ. The only conditions are that the site must meet the guidelines and that it is treated fairly and not unduly promoted.

These conditions have been complied with so as such, there is no conflict of interest.

snooks, Jan 23, 2010 IP
  6. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    Of course you can list your own site but the question is:
    Are you treating your competition with the same respect and list their sites next to your
    if competitors sites happened to be better than your own?

Now, are you?

:confused:

fastreplies

fastreplies, Jan 23, 2010 IP
  7. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Of course I am. :)

The Editing Guidelines clearly outline this, however should you feel that i have abused my editing position, you are welcome to submit an Abuse Report

DMOZ takes such reports very seriously and any indications of abuse result in the editor being removed immediately.

snooks, Jan 23, 2010 IP
  8. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not a problem at all. I personally believe that the general public are entitled to ask such questions and my site is published in Darts

Feel free to inspect the category. By the way, i have been very short on time lately so should you see any problems, 404 sites etc, please use the update button and report it. We appreciate any help that we can get :)

I had been hoping to volunteer some more time in there, but i have been very busy in Animal Rescues. Ive been choosing to help in there and have done a few thousand edits, publishing some great animal rescue resources :) Many of the sites involve animals such as the one in your avatar (LOL). Thankfully their temperment is generally better.

Regards :)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
    snooks, Jan 23, 2010 IP
  9. Anonymously

Best Answers:
  10. dimmakherbs

dimmakherbs Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think the problem is looking at a category and ensuring others are treated equally. Its the sites that DON'T get get published because of competition that is the problem.

dimmakherbs, Jan 23, 2010 IP
  11. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    Ah, but that's where you're wrong.

Here are some examples that will explain why I say that.
    I can bet $1 Million that neither sites on that list belong to snoopsy.
    No, I'm not talking about they look like some kindergarten pre-scholar wrote them,
    I'm talking about how Editor who wants to lessen up his competition site would right one.

Compare sites on that list to other sites in that category and you'll see the difference
    and that is where snoopsy's site is hiding. Of course snoopsy will say: there is a dozen of sites
    with very well written descriptions and I'll say he will be right but...
    let just leave that subject for the next post.

That is where I agree with your point.
    I know there are thousands of sites around the world that are dealing in Darts and yet
    category has only a few dozens. The question is where are other sites?

:eek:

fastreplies

fastreplies, Jan 23, 2010 IP
  12. BustPriceline

BustPriceline Guest

Best Answers:
    Are the editors volunteers?
    I always thought volunteers don't get the work done on time because they don't get paid.

BustPriceline, Jan 23, 2010 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  13. ab420

ab420 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Seriously... I don't know why they accepted sites like that, it was just setting themselves up for a house cleaning nightmare.

ab420, Jan 23, 2010 IP
  14. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @fast replies

Well, no matter what information you are provided with, you will always try and find some way of casting dispersions or a cloud over some ones' editing.

Theres another 400-500 cats and subcats, in which i edit and about 13K more edits if you wish to check them? There must be heaps more of the competition i have kept out. I mean wow......i have heaps of competition in:

Arthrogryposis
    Small Business

and i must be keeping so many of my dart shop competitors out, with my thousands of edits in

Animal Rescues and Shelters

Any person reading this thread will clearly see that you are clutching at straws. I own a dart shop but im keeping out all my competitors, by edting in these cats? LOL

I actually expected you to display a bit more common sense, obviously I over estimated your ability :)

snooks, Jan 23, 2010 IP
  15. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

RAFL well, i suppose its better than the 2 sites that the Amray Directory has listed.

The cat is for shops selling Darts products, it only lists shops selling darts products. There are many general sites on Darts under the subcat in sports and yet many other small darts shops are listed in their regional localities. Then again, many other shops sell darts, but also sell various other sports goods, hence, they would be listed under Shopping, but in a more general sports cat, than just darts sales.

I still cant get over the fact that you state there are thousands of dart sites, yet you only list 2 :rolleyes:

snooks, Jan 23, 2010 IP
  16. goliath

goliath Active Member

Best Answers:
    how many PMs asking you if that's an offer? :p

goliath, Jan 23, 2010 IP
  17. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I see what you mean and i edited the post for clarity. Obviously the comment was directed at Amray and could be misconstrued, thank you for bringing it to my attention :)

Everyone is aware that any attempted bribes would result in an immediate ban on all their sites. It simply is not worth considering making an approch to any editor.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
    snooks, Jan 23, 2010 IP
  18. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Don't be silly asking Hamray/Featreplicas/Ranter to have any common sense. Clearly this sentence does not make sense
    which is clearly reflected in popo's comments that the grammar in the directory leaves a lot to be desired, but for a directory that pinched a lot of its sites and descriptions from DMOZ it did not manage many of those darts sites. Perhaps Fastreplicas owns a darts shop and refused to reproduce your work Snooks. :p

But unless you list every single darts shop in the world that has a web site you will be accused by people like fastreplicas of cheating. Why? Because Amray have always been cross that DMOZ would not list their directory because they used our material without the correct attribution.

Anonymously, Jan 24, 2010 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.