1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dmoz Has 10,000+ Dead Links

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Jin, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Don't forget that CanadianEh has a directory listing service and we aren't offering a listing service, so probably he has to disappoint his clients.

Anonymously, Jan 19, 2010 IP
  2. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You keep saying that...yet I don't see the wording at DMOZ ever backing you up?

Its the open DIRECTORY project, so it's a directory.

It's full of LISTINGS, so that's a given.

It's documentation claims it's a SERVICE (it really does say so on the ADD page, ya know, that page you keep pointing people to read. It's even bolded [link]])

So in many ways, the ODP disappoints it's end users ;)

Qryztufre, Jan 19, 2010 IP
  3. dimmakherbs

dimmakherbs Active Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ should have spent their time accepting 10,000 other quality sites instead of ignoring them (or rather refusing to accept because of competition purposes) and never put any free junky Geocities sites in there to begin with.

dimmakherbs, Jan 19, 2010 IP
    goliath likes this.
  4. goliath

goliath Active Member

Best Answers:
    I concede there may have been a few (few thousand?) valuable hobbyist sites on geocities, but this almost made me spit up my drink.

Thanks for the laugh. :)

goliath, Jan 19, 2010 IP
  5. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Many of those free junky geo sites had valuable UNIQUE content, certainly a lot different to many "health article sites" where the same info is available on numerous sites, verbatim. :) What we want is unique content, not always pretty, well designed and flashy sites, but many had unique information to assist the end user.

The fact it was hosted on a free server was of no concern and made it no better nor worse than sites hosted on paid servers.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
    snooks, Jan 19, 2010 IP
  6. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    I love peoiple who want to tell me how to run my hobby. Don't collect stamps from USA, you MUST collect them from the moon. But I don't like moon sites and this is my hobby. Don't be silly you MUST collect these you should not collect moon stamps. But I like moon stamps. Does not matter I will tell you how to run your stamp collection.

dimmakherbs or goliath were you there giving your free time to make the decisions or do you just tell other people what they should or should not do as their hobby. If you want a say, come in and do the work to earn a say.

Anonymously, Jan 20, 2010 IP
  7. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It more like - Why don't you clean out all of the trash in the middle of your living room floor.

Because some of the empty McDonalds bags might still have some French fries from 1998?

averyz, Jan 20, 2010 IP
  8. dimmakherbs

dimmakherbs Active Member

Best Answers:
    No the reality is that there are 10,000 other high quality sites out there that posed more threat to the editors sites, than little to no competition to the editors that were approving Geocities sites.
    It was obvious the decision that a free hosting company wasn't a big deal, but now you see the difference. People that pay to maintain their site, tend to have a higher quality site and keep information current. I wonder how many Geocities sites that were more or les 'dead' before they dropped Geocities anyway....
    Some people have article directories with some overlapping content. Well how many site directories are there? There is more repeat information on the web from 'verbatim' content on site directories than any article directory!! What we do share in common is wanting the highest quality one, and I look through every article before approving it and I get articles on there that are unique and only submitted there.
    And as far as someone telling me to come in a do the work.... Well you just go ahead and PM me and I will send you my application. I have tried to extend a hand to ODP and I have an impressive resume in the health field. But Im sure you have zero authority to do so, have fun collecting stamps on the moon.

dimmakherbs, Jan 20, 2010 IP
  9. Anonymously

Best Answers:

Almost every category has an application form, just push the button and fill it in, no one needs any authority to offer that to you. Best of luck.

10. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    I was always taught that it was not polite to comment on other peoples houses, if you don't want to help build the directory, then let us get on with it the way we think fit. If you do the buttons on almost every category to apply to become an editor, if you know so much about it all. Good luck.

11. goliath

goliath Active Member

Best Answers:
    I got negative rep for that comment?

Well I sort of assume it was you, who really didn't take time to parse the entire comment. Doesn't matter who it is though. In any case it tells me that defending the ODP is a good way to get bitch-slapped.

Geocities jokes are as old as geocities and they're kind of like racial jokes. Yes, not EVERY site on geocities was a horrible conglomeration of blink tags and animated gifs, but the stereotype does exist for a reason. The joke was funny, like so many good jokes, whether or not it was based in reality.

I've never told you how to run your little show. Assuming you're part of the show that is, since apparently there are questions. I don't give a shit about your hobby or how it's run. I think it's a waste of time, but I tend to think that of most other people's hobbies, that's why it isn't MY hobby. Have your fun, it doesn't matter to me.

Personally, this one thread is the most involvement I've ever had, for better or for worse, with the ODP. I've read some other threads since I got started here (both here and on other forums) and it's clear to me that the ODP is dead, and DMOZ has chronic, terminal issues. It's sad, but again, hardly a speedbump on the road of my life. I'm sorry if it hurts your feelings that your hobby means so little to me, but enough with the sour grapes.

As far as making into personal jabs, how can you expect anyone to take you seriously? If you take pride in what you're doing, stand up and act proud. If you're too ashamed to reveal your involvement, STFU and go away. I think anonymous is the account that another prominent DMOZ defender uses when he's ashamed of what he wants to post anyways.

Altogether ridiculous. I'm sorry for every DMOZ editor that's out there trying to do a good job. It seems that DMOZ politics has killed the ODP, and it's apparently only a matter of time before the rest of the DMOZ organization cannibalizes itself with people like you 'looking after' it.

Instead of skulking around whining about how everyone should realize that what you're doing is so cool all the time, go get some of the work done. The biggest (apparently legitimate) complaint I see about your hobby is that lots of people DO care, and it's not getting done. Pretty stupid of you to go on about applying when it's clear that people are begging to get in and applications are not getting approved.

goliath, Jan 20, 2010 IP
  12. usasportstraining

usasportstraining Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    The sad part is that Google, AOL, and Yahoo still rely on it for certain things. DMOZ is dead.

usasportstraining, Jan 20, 2010 IP
  13. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Like? Can you give us an example? I'd be very surprised if anyone was culling any data out of that place anymore for anything.

Mia, Jan 20, 2010 IP
  14. dalebu

dalebu Active Member

Best Answers:
    They should ve do maintenance regularly.

dalebu, Jan 20, 2010 IP
  15. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you search on site:AOL.com you can't find any mention of DMOZ, ODP, or the like... in fact, if you look at the trademark page on AOL, neither are listed there! (See these searches: DMOZ ODP "Open Directory Project") ~ And imagine... AOL actually OWNS them! *boggle*

If you seach on site:google.com you'll come up with the ODP CLone, but you'll no longer see them suggesting you submit there. You can also note, that at times they go over a year before they bother to update it!

If you search on Yahoo for the ODP you must be a fool... they have their own directory, and it's alive and well! (directory )

About the only site other then the ODP that actually USES the directory would be Alexa, but if you take their ranking system into account, that says a lot about how they feel about ACCURACY, lol.

Qryztufre, Jan 20, 2010 IP
  16. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LOL.

Everyone in here knocks DMOZ, everone says its useless, dying, or that it is dead and buried.

Funny part is everone tries to get their sites published in there. If there site is in there and it gets removed, they cry like hell.

Many posters in here have tried to become editors and get rejected and others were editors and got Ejected.

For a dead and buried site it certainly attracts a lot of interest (LOL)

snooks, Jan 20, 2010 IP
  17. goliath

goliath Active Member

Best Answers:
    I completely agree with you. And a lot of resentment.

Most of the people here are very clear about their status with DMOZ. Tried to submit and no luck, tried to submit and good luck, tried multiple submits with mixed results, I see lots of people chiming in on the various threads in the forum, and they're not really all negative.

This thread in particular turned into a cesspool, and it's not the only one.

It's doubly funny that I've never bothered to directly submit a site, and as far as I know I've never had a site listed. I have, however, paid to have some sites promoted so it's not to deny that one or more of my sites may have been submitted. I never cared about the ODP, or DMOZ, as I wasn't really promoting anything back when they really had an impact.

I was chuckling about the geocities uproar one day, and this thread was staying hot on DP, so I came in to catch up on it. I did some follow up research before I commented, since it was looking like another episode in a hot forum trolling serial, and found myself appalled.

As someone who has never used it and never really even looked into it until recently, I'm perfectly willing to say that scanning the general history scattered around the 'net seems to show that it's basically a dead horse, and some very passionate people are beating it really hard.

It may still help with rankings, and it still seems to see a fair amount of traffic. It's only still being beaten because it's still got some blood to give. When it's all drained out because the directory model in general isn't appreciated with modern search tools or just cut up for leather and dog food while the owners still see some value in it, it's well past "out to pasture".

I couldn't believe that this thread was still drawing snipes. I was thinking about unsubscribing from it when dimmakherbs dropped that geocities joke.

After all, to that point no one in this thread was ever really dwelling on the content or quality of the geocities links, just that they were dead. Oh yeah and a bunch of other DMOZ dirty laundry...

Add to that the fact that it was geocities humor that drew me to this thread in the first place.

I had such a good laugh at the stereotype invoked (geocities is behind us now, thank god it's finally "nostalgic"...) that I repped and complimented him, carefully noting that there was surely some shakespeare amongst the millions of monkeys at geocities and the ODP may have had a point.

I proceeded to receive the first red rep I've ever received on digital point.

Now, that has far more meaning for me than the success or failure of the entire ODP. I'm irritated, and offended. And while you, snooks, may be a great person and a dedicated researcher and devoted to the original academic/altruistic goals of the ODP, no one can seriously defend the status quo at DMOZ without pulling the wool pretty far over their own eyes first.

And as for the nuts that run around defending it and 'screaming' and trolling about how great it is and everyone just needs to keep their mouth shut and leave the poor thing alone to do it's noble work and volunteer if they want to see change and et cetera, well whatever the real percentage of nuts to "dedicated ODP editors" the nuts are becoming recognized as the communal voice of DMOZ. Not just at digital point, either.

But hey as long as it can at least muster up a bit of drama it will go on to garner traffic and thus authority and commercial value far past what the academic or social benefits of the site would justify. Passion defeats logic nearly every time.

So while I really didn't care so much about DMOZ before, I've dug into it and smelled the rot now, without ever having to pine over a listing or a position. And now, I still don't really care about DMOZ, but I'm definitely passionate about the morons and trolls who are running around defending it "anonymously". And some of them, not so anonymously.

If that isn't you, then great. Nice to meet you, and enjoy your hobby.

goliath, Jan 20, 2010 IP
    snooks likes this.
  18. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LOL. Love your opinion and just wanted to assure you that i didnt Red rep you. But for expressing your opinion in a decent, honest way, i just sent you a green one. :) At least you express your opinion in a friendly and open manner.

Cheers.

snooks, Jan 20, 2010 IP
  19. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    You make well your own point, I can understand people who have submitted a site, know nothing about DMOZ, don't get the listing they expect from other directoies, and come looking for naswers.

What I fail to understand is for what you describe as a 'dead horse' people consistently and continually want to come with venom to attack what is, according to you, something already gone. Unless that venom is more deep seated and most of the regulars on here, and across the net, the same regulars, do have an axe to grind.

Your comments about it being a dead horse and of no more value, may or may not be valid from a web owners position, but fortunately in terms of the directory is not a premise we view from, nor that directory models are outdated. Apart from anything else I see directories popping up all over the place. We do not have any interest in any value a listing gives to a site. We list sites because it is out hobby, we do not list them for the owners benefit we gather together sites that we believe are quality sites and they are then there for anyone who wants to use collated sites. Now how has that become defunct?

The fact that we have always allowed people to use our data freely and organisations like Google have chosen to do that has given DMOZ a reason for owners to seek a listing, almost at any cost and when that aspiration is not met because we do not work on that model, do not have any desire to work on that model never will work on that model, then there is bound to be anguish.

So what did you research about Geocities. Believing that we list sites because we DMOZ editors believe that they hold value, perhaps you don't but your are not there to make the decisions or participate in what we do or don't do. It is a value judgement to say that we should have been looking at better sites instead. The editors who give of their time, wanted to spend that time checking to see what alternative could be found for each site and checking to see if we still wanted the site. That process still goes on. Our time, we chose. Yes you can argue that is not a good use of time, but it wasn't your free time it was ours and we wanted to use it that way. If you want to really argue for something different then sign up, get accepted and you can join the debate. But if an editor does not want to work on Geocities there is no compulsion for them to do so.

It was also true that people were posting that geocitoes sites were still listed, because we in company with many sites use gathered data for our searches and then searches can be out of date until the data is gathered together again. Would people listen. No. Mostly there are many people who come on here to have a pop at DMOZ and they don't let the truth stand in the way of a good horse whipping.

Sadly that often frightens off the people who really just want to ask a question about DMOZ. But you called it a cess pit. I don't think I would demure from that assessment. As for red reps, it's part of the course if you post on Digital Point DMOZ, I have had red reps for simply and straightforwardly responding, but not with the answers that the poster wanted to hear. If I worried about them, I would not post here again. Glad to say that every forum is not the same.

Anonymously, Jan 21, 2010 IP
  20. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Incidetally if you have read the official AOL/DMOZ communication about DMOZ you will see that our work with Geocities sites is clearly endorsed as one of our achievements. http://blog.dmoz.org/

Anonymously, Jan 22, 2010 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.