1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dmoz Has 10,000+ Dead Links

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Jin, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boymc

boymc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    :"> they have alot die link but they never dellete them

boymc, Dec 6, 2009 IP
  2. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I imagine there would be tons of dead links being that yahoo dumped geocities.. ;)

I imagine that DMOZ editors would sift threw there sections and delete the dead links as well as any site that isnt live, so as and purge the database...

thx
    M1

malcolm1, Dec 6, 2009 IP
  3. msolution

msolution Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    IMHO yahoo can become a case-study for management for being the greatest mismanaged companies ever was!

they just cant keep services alive,... geocities being the latest in the list of closures. .

and geocities was like major landmark on the growth of internet! ... alas its no more ...RIP!!!

DMoz,.... big job ahead!

M.

msolution, Dec 6, 2009 IP
  4. dannyboi

dannyboi Peon

Best Answers:

Thats what I was thinking, Anonymously!! C'mon !

dannyboi, Jan 18, 2010 IP
  5. dannyboi

dannyboi Peon

Best Answers:

Seriously, its quite obvious £180 for my yahoo listing, and nothing for my non existant Dmoz listing, So is that what your defence is If you pay nothing you get nothing? Thats just confirming what everyone already thinks about Dmoz already.

And yes, Dmoz is a listing service, its a directory of internet resources, erm listings. as you say for surfers, remember there would be nothing to search for surfers if it wasnt for the websites.

I cant give you an exact answer on the time spent by editors as I would then just be speculating like yourself, I do know one thing there are not as many editors as they used to be, the service is not as good as it used to be,the a large percentage of the editors dont know what they are doing.

I do appreciate a service that works, and I really dont mind paying for it either!

I spend my spare time looking for worthy sites to get linked to, safe in the knowledge they might actually get back to me within a 2 year period, and not moan about how they spend there time, As you say it's a hobby, you dont sound like your enjoying it much.

I checked recently and there is still thousands of dead links at Dmoz, its like a phonebook from 1973.

How can you say Dmoz has no concern for the value it gives to its customers? If you worked for me you would be sacked. Dmoz does put a value or concern on this. Do you never wonder why GOOGLE found it interesting to start with.

Now heres my opinion. If your an editor for Dmoz Im a cross hybrid between Bill gates and the T1000.

If you cant take friendly criticism then you really shouldn't be voicing your over rated opinions of Dmoz, Its failing, its been failing for years, if they are so desperate for editors then they should really answer there emails, or heres a thought pay for quality editors. You will find everything works better when people get paid to do it. FACT.

I doubt Dmoz editors sit up all night thinking I will just do 10 more then bed!

In comparrison yahoo is a bargain and has improved site traffic from day1, Dmoz used to be a good until the influx of cranky editors.

Qryztufre likes this.
  6. dannyboi

dannyboi Peon

Best Answers:

7. dannyboi

dannyboi Peon

Best Answers:
    I would pay the $100 to get listed if I could see it within 10 days! My point is it's meant to be free. And you can list on yahoo for free as well why does everybody think you have to pay for yahoo.

Its not the same you have a paid listing and a free listing option.

FREE http://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com/au/free/submit for yahoo search!!!

PAID http://dir.yahoo.com

The Yahoo! Directory is very different from Yahoo! Search. The goal of Yahoo! Search Technology is to automatically discover and index all of the content available on the web predominantly by following hyperlinks to provide the best possible search experience to users.

:)

8. Trapped

Trapped Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I like your "signature" while you still clearly say that you have looked into geocities sites that were removed....

Anyway, Jim already said they are working on it, they have their own process and way of doing things...why bother with it? It's not like they are not aware of that...

Trapped, Jan 18, 2010 IP
  9. sharma

sharma Active Member

Best Answers:
    Slightly off topic but just wanted to ask is there anyone here who got listed in DMOZ in past 3 years?.

sharma, Jan 18, 2010 IP
  10. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    >2000 sites got listed last week

Agent000, Jan 18, 2010 IP
  11. CanadianEh

CanadianEh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I was doing some research on DMOZ and found hundreds of dead links manually. These are sites that have been dead for quite a while. I would estimate that there are at least 10,000 other dead links on the site.

I don't understand why as these would be fairly easy to identify and clean up. They really don't care. :confused:

CanadianEh, Jan 18, 2010 IP
  12. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not bad considering theres 4-5 million sites published in the directory.

Volunteers do editing when and where they wish, within the areas for which they have editing permission. It all takes time.....lots of time. I didnt see you offering to become a volunteer editor and spend your time cleaning some up?

snooks, Jan 18, 2010 IP
    Mia likes this.
  13. Agent000

Best Answers:
    I am with snooks on this one. Thats only 0.2% of the sites listed in DMOZ - thats an awesome achievement to get it that low. I suspect most other directories are higher than this.

Agent000, Jan 18, 2010 IP
  14. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Did you do an update on any of them, or do you just enjoy trying to take a punch at DMOZ?

You did not bother so why do you bother coming here instead? Perhaps the answer was in my first question.

Can I come and tell you how you are going to spend next weekend or next time you are not at work and if you don't do it can I tell you you don't care?

Anonymously, Jan 19, 2010 IP
  15. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Humorous!

Tell a candy striper to sit there & tell people what room patients are in. THEY SHOULD ALREADY BE DOING IT!

Tell a stamp collector to collect stamps. THEY SHOULD ALREADY BE DOING IT!

Tell a ODP editor to edit the directory.... they will tell you they don't have to if they don't feel like it and that it's just a hobby and that they are not a listing service.

Qryztufre, Jan 19, 2010 IP
    Mia likes this.
  16. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    But how do you tell them which stamps to collect, how often they will spend on it, how to not touch the stamps, which ones to throw away.

Especialy from someone who is not even interested enough to do the things that we say will help us. Did the OP even bother to press update and tell us? No. Sooner come here and try and have a pop. We are good target practice. The only consolation is that such comments just come from people who can't get their spammy site listed or have been booted.

Anonymously, Jan 19, 2010 IP
  17. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    there are still dead geocities pages listed in the ODP...

Soooo.... it's OK for you to tell a webmaster his site is spammy, but not for the webmaster to tell you to edit? YAY 4 DOUBLE STANDARDS!

Your posts speak volumes for what really goes on within the ODP and how they view sites and the end user.

With the potential for a site that fits the guidelines to sit in the queue for over a year how can you in good faith call that a spammy site or to claim that their site has been booted?

No wonder you post Anonymously!!!

18. CanadianEh

CanadianEh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I actually found about 10% were dead sites and another 5%-15% had changed completely.

CanadianEh, Jan 19, 2010 IP
  19. Agent000

Best Answers:
    I do not believe you.

Agent000, Jan 19, 2010 IP
  20. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    I do not believe you.

Thread Status: