1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anyone familiar with selling the content of a website?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Handsdowndc28, Jan 15, 2010.

I have a website that I want to sell, not the domain or business itself, just the site and databases. I paid a good amount for it brand new but know I shouldn't expect that same amount when selling now. Does anyone have any idea of where to sell something like this and also what to typically expect?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

jmfprinting dot com is the site.

Handsdowndc28, Jan 15, 2010 IP
  2. Kalyse

Kalyse Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you aware you are hosting .exe files passing them off as "Brochures" and your portfolio.
    Virus?..

Kalyse, Jan 15, 2010 IP
  3. Sensei.Design

Sensei.Design Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    you can't sell content that was already published on a website. The only possibility would be to sell the whole site ;)

Sensei.Design, Jan 15, 2010 IP
  4. Handsdowndc28

Handsdowndc28 Guest

Best Answers:
    Those are probably the templates for each product. Where exactly were you looking? On the templates page the user can download a template for a mac or PC so maybe that is what you are referring to.

5. Handsdowndc28

Handsdowndc28 Guest

Best Answers:
    Yeah that's what I am looking to do, maybe I worded it incorrectly. I would sell the entire site and databases but not allow the new user to use my domain name or business name. Other than that they can customize it to their needs. Ideally it would be great for someone in the same business selling similar products but could be used for just about anything.

6. Oberon

Oberon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately you will probably find that people are only willing to pay very low prices for content. It is my pet peeve in this industry, and it is much worse when you are trying to sell content that you have already produced than when you are giving quotes for prospective work.

In any case, the current economic environment is strongly deflationary -- people are paying low prices because that is all they can afford, and because the sellers are desperate to sell. Lack of credit --> reduced purchasing power --> prices deflate.

You should wait for inflationary forces to reverse the current deflation. This is the worst time to sell anything!

Oberon, Jan 15, 2010 IP
  7. Merkersarl

Merkersarl Peon

Best Answers:
    Oberon, there's a reason for the low prices.

I've bought databases, text content and other material in the past and I wouldn't pay any more than dirt cheap prices. The overheads are huge - overheads to ensure legality (issues like defamation), ownership of the Intellectual Property, due diligence on what licences have already been granted, DD on flaws in the goods (dead addresses in an email list, for example, or mention of "latest Pentium III processor now released" in an IT document) etc.

It doesn't help sellers that there aren't a lot of buyers in this market. It's too messy and too prone to problems. Less buyers = lower prices.

Merkersarl, Jan 16, 2010 IP
  8. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Its impossible for your competitor to have exact same thing with your site,this will make them unprofessional.
    I do suggest you sell whole your website.

mentos, Jan 16, 2010 IP
  9. Makow

Makow Peon

Best Answers:
    You are strongly advised to sell the entire site because it will make the sale more attractive to prospective buyers plus you are likely to fetch a bit more from it.

Makow, Jan 16, 2010 IP
  10. Handsdowndc28

Handsdowndc28 Guest

Best Answers:
    Like I said earlier, I am selling the entire site, maybe I used the wrong wording but I am selling the site as it sits right now with the databases. I am keeping the domain name and the buyer will have to remove my logos and company name from the site. Everything else is theirs, they can add products or edit the existing ones.

So I guess I might be confused with "content of a site" and "Complete site" At any rate I am selling everything I mentioned above. Keeping the business running so you cannot not use the domain name or company logo/name.

Handsdowndc28, Jan 18, 2010 IP