1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Best List of Directories

Discussion in 'Directories' started by fastreplies, Jan 13, 2010.

?

Which is the Best?

1. searchenginecolossus.com

10 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. vmoptions.com

31 vote(s)
    29.5%
  3. vilesilencer.com

13 vote(s)
    12.4%
  4. directorycritic.com

16 vote(s)
    15.2%
  5. directoryroll.com

11 vote(s)
    10.5%
  6. onewaytextlink.com

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  7. web-directories.ws

25 vote(s)
    23.8%
  8. whenweseo.com

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  9. addurl.nu

15 vote(s)
    14.3%
  10. linksadmin.net

6 vote(s)
    5.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. coffeeearth

coffeeearth Peon

Best Answers:
    I vote directorycritic.com favorite list.

coffeeearth, Jan 14, 2010 IP
  2. humm

humm बहादुर बच्चा

Best Answers:
    Where is the option for NONE ??

humm, Jan 15, 2010 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  3. riya121

riya121 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi

vmoption is the best

riya121, Jan 15, 2010 IP
  4. WallaceYeung

WallaceYeung Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    you must to choose one even you don't like it. :p

WallaceYeung, Jan 15, 2010 IP
  5. hyper

hyper Peon

Best Answers:
    do you know any other ones ? :D

hyper, Jan 15, 2010 IP
  6. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    Because this thread is not about just another Dinky Toy list but about specialized in Directory of Directories sites.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Let me explain why I chose these 10 Directories of Directories

Every time some Clown asks for LIST immediately after 100 Bozos with 10 posts or less would crawl into that thread with advices, which list is the Best. Vast majority of such “advices” point to sites I selected after going over numerous “I need list” threads.

Yes there are dozens of good lists and their owners who are devoted to high quality thus most definitely deserved to be mentioned and I’m sure there will be another place in this forum where people will pay respect to their lists as well.

;)

fastreplies

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
    fastreplies, Jan 15, 2010 IP
  7. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    ANY list that allows for dropped domains to be accepted is utter trash. But yea, that is just my own .o2 ...

an0n, Jan 15, 2010 IP
  8. esmsfun

esmsfun Peon

Best Answers:
    i think addurl.nu

esmsfun, Jan 15, 2010 IP
  9. CanadianEh

CanadianEh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think you may be surprised if you looked into the history of directories that have been around 5-10 years. Many of them didn't start as directories.

I was also surprised at the amount of dropped domains that held their PR in the last update. The ones that lost PR only lost 1 point.

CanadianEh, Jan 15, 2010 IP
  10. wwws

wwws Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What country are you from?:eek: This is scary, Wallace means business.lol

wwws, Jan 15, 2010 IP
  11. michaeljm72

michaeljm72 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've personally used several of these lists for paid and free directory submissions such as vmoptions, web-directories.ws, vilesilencer, addurl.nu and directorycritic, and find myself going back to the first three: the vmoptions for the free directory list, though i find now i have to be a bit more selective as there are now so many .info directories being produced, and the list i prefer the most, web-directories.ws and like it too that the owner seems quite prompt at rectifying problems with any listings, actually both of those sets of owners do, they take good care of the lists and i for one am grateful to both of those dedicated sites, they are really so useful to me over the past two years.
    directory critic seems outdated on the page rank on many of the listed directories so i don't go back there so often.

michaeljm72, Jan 15, 2010 IP
  12. Rodegee

Rodegee Peon

Best Answers:
    I prefer www.greatdirectories.org but it's not in your Top 10.
    Manually submission into directories from the lists on this site is more convenient than on many others.
    +Information is always reliable.

Rodegee, Jan 16, 2010 IP
  13. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    I can't say I agree with your point about web-directories.ws because the only
    thing I can say about that list, AMRAY Directory is not on it.

But I can say a lot about vmoptions.com because according to our AwStats
    vmoptions.com send us
    30% more visitors than Google
    120% more than directorycritic.com
    700% more than vilesilencer.com
    and so on...

Now, in my book vmoptions.com is #1 no matter which way you look at it.

;)

fastreplies

fastreplies, Jan 16, 2010 IP
  14. CanadianEh

CanadianEh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This thread is losing credibility as you have been praising vmoptions on DP since you returned from your banning.

CanadianEh, Jan 16, 2010 IP
  15. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    Shall I remind you that Poll is all about people’s favorites and comments are the part of it?

I can’t see your complains or objections when others have praised your site and I don’t believe
    you have any business to tell others how they feel about your competition.

I’m glad you made that post because it just shows people who you really are
    and nature of your character as a person.

If you want me to praise your list, then add our directory to your list and based on stats
    I may do the same and say good word or two about your site

:eek:

fastreplies

fastreplies, Jan 16, 2010 IP
  16. MGwebmaster

MGwebmaster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys! We're trying to keep the brand:) - Maintain lists of directories at high level is not so easy...

MGwebmaster, Jan 16, 2010 IP
  17. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ok then, I suppose that you recommend other directories to be included in lists all the time. Regardless, I clearly state that the paid directory list is not user submitted.

I work on that site everyday and a few others here have worked on it over the years and know it well. There has been no list removed from VMOptions. I ask you, or anyone else, to prove me wrong on this. The only list that references "sitelinks" is the paid directory list which clearly states most of the directories on the list have sitelinks. Additionally, the list reads:

As I noted previously, it is not a user submitted list. It makes no difference who volunteers what or that they have a paid directory with or without sitelinks. It's a list I maintain, and I have clearly stated that it is not a user submitted list.

When you return from the office, I'll be glad to see your response regarding the phantom list that I never knew about and why I should take time out of my day to add a directory to a list that clearly states it is not user submitted.

@ hyper and fastreplies

Thanks for the kind comments.

snowbird, Jan 16, 2010 IP
  18. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I publicly apologize for the MIX-UP. It was not vmoptions list that I referred - but another list!:eek:

Anyway - vmoptions list still include QBC directories and so do web-directories.ws.

But so is botw.org :eek:

The domain was not meant to be a directory initially - but became one. Of course one can not compare today's QBC directories and BOTW - because BOTW was always meant to serve as a resource site of best websites - and hence the name.
    Its another matter that it has become one of the top 5 directories on the web now.:cool:

jhnrang, Jan 16, 2010 IP
    snowbird likes this.
  19. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Apology accepted.

I understand your concerns about QBC/dropped domain directories. I too own a directory. But I also believe in choice when it comes to free submissions. One man's garbage is another man's treasure so to speak. Many higher quality free directories can take months to review submissions and their listing standards tend to be much higher. New free directories, regardless of their domain, tend to review submissions quickly. In addition to this, those that list in new directories face less competition initially in their chosen category. This can benefit submitters even more if the directory sorts listings by date, especially if the directory is well promoted in the future. While some wait months for their submissions to be reviewed, many of these new directories initially review submissions in under a week and the page their listing is on is cached in under a month. What works best for the submitter is solely their choice and is without cost. I can't please everyone and never set out to try. There are no endorsements from me regarding any of the free directories listed, and I don't plan on doing it down the road.

Whether a directory is operating on a dropped domain or domain intended for another purpose makes no difference down the road, with the obvious exceptions (joesmechanicwrenches.com, etc.). What matters is the effort put forth from the point it becomes a directory. How good are the listings, what features does the directory have, is it brandable, etc. Sadly most free directories will never move towards a business model that helps them to sustain their directory and continue building on their own personal vision/goals. That's the directory industry in general. There is no shortage of competition and many directories fold or become abandoned when their owners realize the cost, time, and difficulties competing for a limited amount of advertising dollars.

A lot of work goes into the free directory list and even more work goes into the directory submissions at VMOptions. For each site submitted/approved, we write two descriptions - one for the category and one for the listing detail page. Other improvements have been made in an effort to improve the experience for the visitor and for the submitter.

On that note I consider this issue closed and apology fully accepted. I'll + rep you once this is posted jhnrang.

I wish everyone here at DP a prosperous 2010 and that they and their families stay in good health.

snowbird, Jan 16, 2010 IP
  20. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

I won't dispute your numbers or motivations but you did bring up something I hadn't considered when I answered your poll.

My answer related 100% to the quality of the lists from a submissions perspective. I know the DoD I voted for, IVS, sends me traffic but whether or not it sends the most, I'd have to check.

I suppose from a listed directory owner's perspective, the truly best DoD is the one that sends the traffic which leads to the most acceptable submissions. In the long run, who cares how much traffic it sends if it doesn't send folks submitting acceptable sites?

YMC, Jan 16, 2010 IP