1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

It's o.k. to make $5.35/hr with Google Adsense!

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by LOLMOM, Aug 25, 2006.

1. MarcP

MarcP Guest

Best Answers:
    Don't want to be offensive, however this blog has a lot of indicators of a mild case of a spam-blog.

MarcP, Aug 27, 2006 IP
  2. sd2001

sd2001 Peon

Best Answers:
    LOLMOM,

THe criticism you've encountered may not be "nice" but it is true. Your blog has ads all over it that are nothing short of annoying. You use a blogger blog and can't be bothered to host your blog yourself. As a browser, these factors and others would make me click away from your site as soon as I saw it - it just doesn't inspire reader confidence.

Ads should serve as a supplement to your content, not the other way around.

My advice:
    Host a WordPress blog yourself. It costs next to nothing. Upload it and transfer the content you have on that blogger blog to the WP blog (Wordpress makes it easy). Take the ads down a notch - no, five notches - and look at how some of the "big blogs" place their ads. See the difference between theirs and yours?

If you think I'm mean for telling you this, then so be it. But I can almost guarantee you aren't going to have a successful blog with that format.

sd2001, Aug 28, 2006 IP
  3. qwestcommunications

qwestcommunications Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This article very much reminds an article I came across published on WebmasterWorld. That guy suggested $10 per page.

qwestcommunications, Aug 28, 2006 IP
  4. Icheb

Icheb Peon

Best Answers:
    That article is

- horrible
    - pointless
    - patronizing
    - such a complete waste of time

What does the article tell anyone? It only gives you some calculation of some weird guy on the internet, nothing else. This is why I'm starting to hate the internet, because 99% of it is shit.

Icheb, Aug 28, 2006 IP
  5. Telmari

Telmari Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wow. At first glance, lots of stuff that article doesn't take into account-

-Outsourcing/content writers/other link building services
    -Adding content in other ways than just sitting there hammering out content pages 4 hours a day
    -Sites other than article sites (forums, turnkeys, proxies, other sorts of services, communities, social networking, etc etc..)
    -Natural increase in skill, seeing what works/doesn't, improving off of learned experience over time
    -Improvements in content building and addition that new tools make possible over time
    -normal commonplace SEO tactics that can gain or lose you a few hundred SERPS
    -Decreased 'cost per page' time requirements due to better familiarity with the content and visitor interest over time, as well as a ton of other factors.
    -Increasing traffic due to any source or even one time large sources (Slashdot, stumbleapon, Digg)

To me, that article is interesting, but seems to kind of assume the average adsense 'newbie' is just a poor guy plugging along with one tactic forever, hoping his 'adsense gold' just stacks up over time by prospect of his tireless article writing.

I do agree there's a lot of newbies that think they can just 'strike it rich' with little or no effort into adsense, or even that by eventually using the same tactics they can amass millions, when that's not a reality, but I think these sorts of stories are a bit undermining the potential of smart, hardworking people with good ideas and a will to learn and improve :)

Telmari, Aug 28, 2006 IP
  6. danielbruzual

danielbruzual Active Member

Best Answers:
    danielbruzual, Aug 28, 2006 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Yep, this would have been better: http://biz.yahoo.com/weekend/blog_1.html

You can use the feed from your blog to display the latest article next to your profile. It's a much better way to promote your writing.

BTW: I checked out your site. I thought this was a bit cheeky:
    <a href="nicolasamaro@bellsouth.net">customerservice@qualitypedalcars.com</a>
    Code (markup):
    and it should be like this:
    <a href="mailto:nicolasamaro@bellsouth.net">customerservice@qualitypedalcars.com</a>
    Code (markup):

sarahk, Aug 28, 2006 IP
  8. ash1

ash1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    an inspriing article, wants me to make my goal 5.35/hr

ash1, Aug 28, 2006 IP
  9. LongHaul

LongHaul Peon

Best Answers:
    Interesting, but as someone alluded to, it assumes that you start out with a set CTR and ad placement success rate, and everything then hinges on how many content pages you write.

In reality, people see their AdSense earnings go way up and down based on things like ad placement, traffic, SEO and everything else. Not just number of pages. Successful AdSense earners will experiment and learn the details of the game over time, and CTR should go up.

By this article's math, to make my eventual goal of $3000 a month, I'd need 7200 content pages! If I had that many pages, I'd expect a lot more than $3000 a month.

Plus, there's affiliate links, etc.

Dont' get discouraged. But the lesson of the article is still: don't think you deserve ANYthing from AdSense. But put in the right work for long enough and it will work out, just stick with it!

LongHaul, Aug 28, 2006 IP
  10. cyanyde

cyanyde Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm only doing adsense for fun. But now I see that it can buy me a new surfboard every year! It's more than I expected so I'm happy where I am.

cyanyde, Aug 28, 2006 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  11. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Donchya just love laid back surfies - what are you riding right now - your surf site seemed to be down - where's the good surf in Malaysia? west coast I presume! (seems to be that in every country it's the west coast ;))

sarahk, Aug 28, 2006 IP
  12. veen

veen Peon

Best Answers:
    Internal Server Error
    Error 500

lol

veen, Aug 28, 2006 IP
  13. matt-

matt- Peon

Best Answers:
    Alot of people seem to make that mistake with web master world, you can register for free and gain access, paying is just to support the board, and is optional. Click the usual register link, and you're in :)

matt-, Aug 28, 2006 IP
  14. uberman

uberman Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, this article does make point out distribution economics which all those who want to get rich miss out on...
    But the math is wrong!
    It should be 50*5*4=1000 hours.
    So average rate is $7500/$1000=$7.50 per hour, NOT $5.35 per hour :D

uberman, Aug 29, 2006 IP
  15. cornetto

cornetto Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, that's one cool thing about making money from the internet. You only go to work 5 days a week, but customers come to your website 7 days a week.

I also think this article is a bit stupid. If someone is dumb enough to sit there writing pages for a year, and doesn't check every few days to see what articles are doing well, that person is missing out. If you check your stats, you can see that on any 20 page website, 1 page will be doing really well, 5 wil be ok and all the rest will be very poor. If you then think to yourself "Hmmm, maybe I should write more articles around that topic that is doing really well" you have instantly left the realm of $10/page/year and will make more than that.

In short, the article lacks this one insight: "Find out what is working well, and do more of it."

cornetto, Aug 29, 2006 IP
  16. matt-

matt- Peon

Best Answers:
    Also, nobody is taking into account that those pages will keep paying the next year, and so on. So even if you did use this very simplistic approach (not taking into account so many other impotant factors) then it would build up year on year. So working out what you earned in the year doesn't really work, its more like building an asset.

matt-, Aug 29, 2006 IP
  17. pokercards

pokercards Banned

Best Answers:
    i make that a day would love to make it an hour:p

pokercards, Aug 29, 2006 IP
  18. LOLMOM

LOLMOM Peon

Best Answers:
    I know it can be done, but I'm still so new at all of this that I don't even make half of that / day.

LOLMOM, Aug 29, 2006 IP
  19. antithesis_98

antithesis_98 Peon

Best Answers:
    99% of Adsense publishers, I assume, do it for fun and a bit of extra income.
    Those making millions don't inspire me, they wow me.

antithesis_98, Aug 29, 2006 IP
  20. tyggemannen

tyggemannen Guest

Best Answers:
    Dont forget to give credit to LOLMOM for initiating the posting of this story.

tyggemannen, Aug 29, 2006 IP