1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Wordpress Maximum Number of Pages?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by redgsr, Jan 6, 2010.

I am wondering what the maximum number of pages or blog posts is that WP can handle using permalinks?

For example I have a website with around 500 blog posts which each create an individual page. I am trying to figure out if WP is going to max out at a certain point. I have a large content plan in the works and I want make sure I won't overload WP. By large I am talking about 150 new articles minimum per month.

Thanks

redgsr, Jan 6, 2010 IP
  2. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    Please remember Posts are not Pages. Pages (note the capital letters in there) are complete separate from Posts.

Reference: http://help.edublogs.org/2009/08/01/the-differences-between-posts-and-pages/

Wordpress can handle pretty much an unlimited number of Posts without issue.

It does get bogged down though with a large number of Pages, around 500 I've been told. Haven't seen this myself but I could link to a handful of trac tickets on the subject. It's supposed to slow down the admin side when you list them and also the public side when you try to visit a Page.

Again though it;s a huge number where the affect is seen.

If all you;re doing is Posts and you just used the wrong term, don;t worry about it.

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

theapparatus, Jan 6, 2010 IP
  3. redgsr

redgsr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey theapparatus I was referring to either or. Thanks for the information and I understand that many pages can bog down WP. My problem is with the limited number of posts that I currently have WP has gotten much slow with each new post. It now takes at least 1min for a new post to publish and it's not my server. This is what made me ask the question about overloading WP.

redgsr, Jan 6, 2010 IP
  4. scheng1

scheng1 Peon

Best Answers:
    That's funny! I hope blogger has no such problem. Maybe it's time for you to get your own domain and paid hosting.
    I will reach 500th blog within a year.

scheng1, Jan 11, 2010 IP
  5. adsensenewb

adsensenewb Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm, I dont see why more pages would slow it down. The wordpress.org documentation says that you can have an unlimited number of pages, and it is usually pretty good about mentioning important details like that.

Even so, the latest versions of Wordpress allow you such a high degree of control over posts that it wouldnt be an issue anyways.

adsensenewb, Jan 16, 2010 IP
  6. bama boy

bama boy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Get you self hosted wp ... thi better you can earn from it and handle it

bama boy, Jan 24, 2010 IP
  7. Barry Johnson

Barry Johnson Peon

Best Answers:
    One of my Wordpress installs has over 5000 posts. The only problem you might run into is if your host puts a limit on the size of you MySql database. It will be well over 100megs with this many posts.

Barry Johnson, Jan 28, 2010 IP
  8. masterrio

masterrio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    my friend runs a adult celeb pic based blog and most of the pics are hosted on the server, we don't see any drop in the page speed really, he has over 1400 posts and over 6000 images. It may load slow only if there is a load on the server, else no.of posts isn't a concern at all.

masterrio, Jan 28, 2010 IP
  9. MadRukus

MadRukus Peon

Best Answers:
    There's a couple sites I goto which are ezines that have tons of tutorials and articles and seems to be fine but page load seems to be a little sluggish.

MadRukus, Feb 1, 2010 IP
  10. iamsgf

iamsgf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Where you will potentially see a problem is when you are using 'Related Posts' type plugins. As these can cause quite a heavy query load. I found that when a had a WP article site with 50,000 posts/articles, it kinda died!!

iamsgf, Feb 10, 2010 IP
  11. ronif

ronif Peon

Best Answers:
    sounds complicated, dont make your wordpress down :)

ronif, Feb 11, 2010 IP