1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Adwords and affiliate marketing

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by Lastbutnotleast, Dec 26, 2009.

I feel Adwords is becoming harder with affiliates promoting some products.

What are the basic tips and tricks to run campaigns on Adwords without any problem as affiliates?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
    Lastbutnotleast, Dec 26, 2009 IP
  2. hanzaant

hanzaant Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends what affiliate system You use.

Google don`t like when You promote site in adwords, and on that same site You have adsense .

I use some affiliate programs in Europe and I don`t have any problems.

hanzaant, Dec 27, 2009 IP
  3. TermsB

TermsB Peon

Best Answers:
    It's always about putting your own twist on things. You need to find a campaign you can use to target a smaller niche within the larger niche. You'll not only get cheaper clicks, but you'll also have less competition. The two rather go hand in hand.

TermsB, Dec 27, 2009 IP
  4. Lastbutnotleast

Lastbutnotleast Peon

Best Answers:
    What about direct linking or the use of subdomains (matching keywords)?

Lastbutnotleast, Dec 27, 2009 IP
  5. poonamt93

poonamt93 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I recently saw one of my internet marketing friend who is an affiliate and does all the affiliate job through adwords. Yes, he run all the PPC campaigns, and generate leads to the other world . Thus he makes money.... its a huge task . It will take atleast 2 months to get everything and start the campaigns.
    If you have sites / blogs, you can use adwords and make money through it.. should use business keywords and bid more money on them.. thus, it drives traffic as well as leads.

poonamt93, Dec 28, 2009 IP
  6. Lastbutnotleast

Lastbutnotleast Peon

Best Answers:
    It would be great to know his experience about adwords (for how long he is doing this business, how many time did he learn, the ressources he used to learn, to which extent it is profitable...) :)

Lastbutnotleast, Dec 28, 2009 IP
  7. Lucid Web Marketing

Lucid Web Marketing Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Using PPC for affiliate marketing is no different than if the product was your own. Just a couple things to keep in mind:

1) You cannot create your own page containing your affiliate links and use it as your landing page. This will be disapproved and subject to account banning if you continue. This leaves direct linking.

2) When direct linking, only one ad will be displayed for a domain at any one time. If other affiliates are using PPC, only one of them will have their ad shown, usually the one with the better ad ranking which is your QS times your bid.

Lucid Web Marketing, Dec 29, 2009 IP
  8. Lastbutnotleast

Lastbutnotleast Peon

Best Answers:
    What about a landing page with content and 1 targeted affiliate link?

Lastbutnotleast, Dec 29, 2009 IP
  9. Lastbutnotleast

Lastbutnotleast Peon

Best Answers:
  10. Lucid Web Marketing

Best Answers:
    > What about a landing page with content and 1 targeted affiliate link?

As per your first link, third item under Website Types to Avoid:

"Affiliate sites that the primary purpose of which is to drive traffic to another site with a different domain".

This means, do not use Adwords and send clicks where you have one or more affiliate links.

Lucid Web Marketing, Dec 29, 2009 IP
  11. Lastbutnotleast

Lastbutnotleast Peon

Best Answers:
    And if the landing page is a subdomain and drives trafic to the domain name

landing-page.domainname.com > domainname.com

I guess it's OK

And what about a landing page being a subdomain driving trafic to another subdomain of the same domain name?

landing-page.domainname.com > subdomain.domainname.com

???

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  12. lyndatreb

lyndatreb Peon

Best Answers:
    This whole thing has me so confused. You're saying that if you send an ad to a landing page that has an affiliate link, that your account will be banned. So essentially what you're saying is that affiliates can no longer use Adwords? Direct linking obviously wouldn't be much of an option of only one person can link to that page.

I still see lots and lots of ads that, from looking at the ad, appears to go to a review of a Clickbank product. There would obviously be an affiliate link somewhere. Any idea why some are being allowed to do it and some aren't?

lyndatreb, Dec 30, 2009 IP
  13. Lucid Web Marketing

Best Answers:
    I did not say that affiliates cannot use Adwords. You just cannot use it to send traffic to a landing page which is a page designed to send traffic to an affiliate. The key phrase in the TOS is:

"Affiliate sites that the primary purpose of which is to drive traffic to another site with a different domain".

This in no way says that you cannot send traffic directly to your merchant's page.

The one-domain, one-ad rule has been in place since 2005 if my memory is correct. If you have a better campaign than all other affiliates, your ad will be shown more often. So you need to be smarter than the other guys, including the merchant themselves if they use Adwords. Trust me, you can get more than your fair share of traffic.

If you see some ads promoting affiliate products, they just haven't been found yet I'm guessing. Maybe they don't have affiliate links on their landing page.

Lucid Web Marketing, Dec 30, 2009 IP
  14. Lastbutnotleast

Lastbutnotleast Peon

Best Answers:
    And what about using various sub-domains of the same domain name?

Lastbutnotleast, Dec 30, 2009 IP
  15. simey

simey Active Member

Best Answers:
    There are plenty of affiliates using landing pages filled with affiliate links. Try googling 'coupon codes'. Virtually every ad you see will lead to pages having all affiliate links. The links are mostly re-directed, but still: affiliate links.

This is not just true of the coupon niche either.

The other side of the coin is, there are plenty of affiliates having their accounts closed and being banned too. IMO, this is more about What you are promoting vs. whether you are an affiliate.

simey, Dec 30, 2009 IP
  16. vaponte

vaponte Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi LastBuTNotLeast!
    Yes, Google is getting strict with Affiliate Marketing! The way around this is for the affiliate program you are promoting create a Landing Page where your potential customers go to first before the affiliate page and make sure your landing page, keywords and affiliate page is ALL RELEVANT, because if not, Google will cancel your account! For example, let's say you are using the keyword make money with clickbank. Use this keyword in your landing page title and you must have 2-5% density on your landing page so that means the keyword will have to be on your landing page 8-10 times throughout it. Also, the landing page must have a total of 500 words on it. Potential customers will go to your landing page first, then your affiliate page. This is the way Google wants it! Any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask! We are all here to help!:)

vaponte, Dec 31, 2009 IP
  17. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you are very correct, you can have affi;iate links, and yes thise being banned would be breaking other rules. there is no supportive evidence anywhere on google that says you can nt use a affiliate link on a land page. that i know of as yet

if there is can you show it to me

DownUnder, Jan 1, 2010 IP
  18. vaponte

vaponte Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hello, and Happy New Year to all!

Hey Downunder, and you are correct! Affiliate Links are allowed with Landing Pages! I had a campaign where I was promoting a product and I had to landing page and I got no sales at all, but then I added a Landing Page and then I started to get sales. Google, loves these landing pages and they make a big difference to potential customers.:)

vaponte, Jan 1, 2010 IP
  19. Lastbutnotleast

Lastbutnotleast Peon

Best Answers:
    Could you explain please?

Lastbutnotleast, Jan 1, 2010 IP
  20. vaponte

vaponte Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Happy New Year LastButNotLeast!

If you are promoting an affiliate program you need to create or have someone create for you a landing page. This is the page where your potential customers will go to first, before they go to the affiliate page, in other words, before the actual page where they will purchase the actual product you are promoting. The landing page is a page that has information on the product you are promoting, but it is NOT the sales page. For example, I am in an affiliate program for weight loss, but potential customers when they click on my destination URL they go to my landing page first where I have links there for the affiliate program that I am promoting. The landing page consists of articles about weight loss, reviews of different weight loss programs, etc. Whichever keyword you use for your affiliate program. For example, I will use weight loss as an example but I don't use weight loss it is too broad. In my ad, I would include the keyword weight loss in the title, and the subject and it would have to appear 8-10 times in my landing page. If you are submitting an article, it must be in the the title of your article and again 8-10 times in the article for keyword density. A landing page is a must for conversions! I hope this helped!

vaponte, Jan 1, 2010 IP
    axlarry likes this.