1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

IE 8 is more powerful than firefox?

Discussion in 'Bing' started by tonis, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    It is that bad. What other browser do you know that can't render XHTML, SVG, HTML5 or PNG without help, proper javascript and anything beyond the first DOM level? And while Microsoft claims IE8 has full CSS2.1 compliance, it's so riddled with bugs it's ridiculous they get away with that claim.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
    drhowarddrfine, Dec 27, 2009 IP
  2. HostNinja

HostNinja Peon

Best Answers:
    IE 8 has improved a lot of stuff but i stull use Firefox and Opera.

HostNinja, Dec 27, 2009 IP
  3. ck.exe

ck.exe Peon

Best Answers:
    Check your facts before posting, I visit many sites that are coded in XHTML and they render without any problem on IE8.
    And what with .png? That image format renders in almost every version of IE.
    You thought using some fancy words will make you sound like a Geek? Nice attempt, I bet few noobs would have been impressed lol

ck.exe, Dec 28, 2009 IP
  4. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    You are showing how little you know. Just because a site uses XHTML syntax does not mean it is serving XHTML. And if you are not serving XHTML as application/xhtml+xml in your http headers, then the browser treats XHTML syntax as HTML, broken HTML at that, also known as "tag soup". I'm sure you haven't a clue about anything I just said.
    IE8 Features:
    You think? I mean, you've been able to get png to work in IE6? How's that alpha transparency working for you in IE7? Don't have time to look up a link for your foolish answer.

drhowarddrfine, Dec 28, 2009 IP
  5. hawkal

hawkal Peon

Best Answers:
    I think all browsers do my head in.

Why can't they just stick to the standards and be done with it or better yet why don't the W3C just write the rendering + javascript engines to power all browsers as a joint project between all the W3C members. Then just use them as backend for their own products.

I use firefox personally but while it's the best it still sucks. If it had more support I would use Opera because logically Opera > Firefox > IE but Opera doesn't have addons I want.

I swear that Microsoft is purposely screwing with IE's development because they know it is popular and because they are afraid that if they keep up with the standards they will be contributing to the death of their own business model.

We all know the Web is where it's heading but Microsoft keeps bucking against the trend because only a small fraction of it's revenue comes from web based products.

Although I must admit I do not like the idea of everything being on the web. I wouldn't be suprised if Google Doc's sees the death of Microsoft Word one day.

hawkal, Dec 28, 2009 IP
  6. globegenius

globegenius Active Member

Best Answers:
    Did a comparison for speed with the the big 3

Firefox

[​IMG]

IE8

[​IMG]

Chrome (Apple Safari)

[​IMG]

I use firefox mostly but search returns in IE8 have bigger numbers.

globegenius, Dec 28, 2009 IP
  7. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Uh, that speed test tests your network, not the browser. Those numbers being different is sheer coincidence.

8. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    The modern browsers do a pretty good job of following the standards, generally. Only IE causes the most grief since they only considered the standard an afterthought until recently.
    That's just not what the W3C does.
    That's exactly the truth and well known. It's brought up in the anti-trust complaint filed in the US and Europe against them. IE intentionally did not follow the standard and produced false documentation and hidden APIs so competitors could not use their software to compete against them. However, this has come back to bite them because IE is not compatible with the standards and they have lost about 35% market share to all the other browsers (not to mention $4 billion dollars in fines from the US and Europe).
    Yep.

9. ilikenwf

ilikenwf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Slightly biased, you didn't run Firefox under Linux. Windows sucks.

ilikenwf, Dec 28, 2009 IP
  10. globegenius

globegenius Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes it could be slightly bias and I know I'm testing the network speed. I did a test on all 3 browsers I'm using in a short time span to compare how well they work with my network. I'm not brain washed into thinking one is all superior to the others.

As stated I use firefox mostly. All of them have crashed at one point or another over the years. One browser will have some updates that makes it better for awhile and then another will do updates and shine. In the end everyone runs on intel code anyway.

I've been "playing" on the net for over 30 years which is longer than some DP members have been alive. I still have lots to learn about SEO but I've learned abit over the years. How many members could work with DOS ? Very few I think. The internet and OS are cadillacs nowadays. Computers have more processor cache than the old computers even had in the HD.

globegenius, Dec 29, 2009 IP
  11. President

President Peon

Best Answers:
    I hope so, but not sure, due to no experience with IE 8.

President, Dec 29, 2009 IP
  12. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well, then it would be a race against OS's wouldn't it? To be unbiased, they the ONLY variable needs to be the browser. If you want to test FF under Linux, then IE must run under it too ;)

To note, FF can be tweaked out for speed based on several factors (about:config) ... or at least it could be, no clue if it makes a difference in the newer versions.

Qryztufre, Dec 29, 2009 IP
  13. milo_pl

milo_pl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I know that firefox is more powerful.
    FREE addons vs having to browse and pay for some IE addons.
    Firefox vs IE in the virus department... we all know that one, IE attracts viruses like white on rice.
    Oh an "accelerators?" Firefox has had those for long long time, this is just another of those ideas like tabbed browsing that Microsoft stole from another company.

milo_pl, Dec 29, 2009 IP
  14. hero_bash

hero_bash Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know but I'm really curious about IE users, really really curious.

hero_bash, Dec 29, 2009 IP
  15. nikj2005

nikj2005 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think firefox is better

nikj2005, Dec 30, 2009 IP
  16. ibtisam

ibtisam Peon

Best Answers:
    IE8 almost powerfull.... but not powerfull... because it's not freeware, so i have trouble with updated. I can't get addons, plugins as powerfull as, and as easy as firefox

ibtisam, Dec 31, 2009 IP
  17. WebshoppeSolutions

WebshoppeSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes indeed .. they all serve a purpose ..

... and it's up to each of us, from web developers, all the way down to your run of the mill citizen end user .. browsers will be selected based on things like speed, performance, and looks.

One of the first things they teach you in college, is that looks are 90% of the sale. Nevermind compliance .. if it doesn't look good, then we won't want it ..

To the average end user, speed and looks mean more than rendering engines and security do. The average end user will switch browsers the minute the one they are using slows down.

In the real world of the internet, average end users beat out web developers by a margin of 10 to 1 .. could be why so many are still using Internet Explorer 6.

There are generally only two kinds of Firefox user .. The first kind would be the web developer .. and the second would be those who are forced to use Firefox because they aren't using a fully authenticated and registered version of the Windows OS. A full 80% of the already marginal Firefox market share includes only those two groups.

Nevermind what the Firefox fanboys say .. if a browser doesn't come already equipped with the goodies, then most average end users won't waste their time with it. The government is a prime example of this theory. Not only do the governments in the United States, Canada, Australia and major portions of Europe use the Windows OS, they also still use Internet Explorer 6 .. The cost of upgrading their systems to the latest Windows browser build is astronomical, so why would we be seeing them waste even more time and expense with a browser that has to be "added on to" out of the box?

I see both Firefox and Internet Explorer as having problems. In their race to be the best and the brightest, they neglect performance ..

Firefox, in so many ways, is catching up with all of the performance issues that has plagued Internet Explorer all of these years .. right, wrong, or otherwise .. we're seeing Firefox becoming another fully loaded bloat of a browser .. for reasons of it's own, we see Firefox crashing more, stalling out more, and slower to load/unload with each build.

If Firefox and Internet Explorer don't get a handle on their performance issues soon, we'll be seeing other, lesser known browsers, coming in from behind to fill the void.

Opera and Safari are still out there, and both do well on their own. Firefox and Internet Explorer might do well to stop looking so much at each other, and pay a bit more attention to those browsers that are waiting in the wings.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
    WebshoppeSolutions, Dec 31, 2009 IP
  18. withhindsight

withhindsight Member

Best Answers:
    personally unless I need the firefox plugins for some reason which is rare, mainly only for making link building slightly easier, then I couldn't care less about which browser I'm using, I mean honestly guys does it really matter, any half decent site should be visible clearly in all browsers. And asuming that is the case does it matter even on a miniscule level which browser is the best they all do the same bloody thing. you know that one thing that you want them to do, let you see web pages.....

withhindsight, Dec 31, 2009 IP
  19. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Nope. Corporate users stuck with Microsoft software that only works on IE6 and can't upgrade, or won't cause they'd have to upgrade the software.
    So you're saying half of Europe are web developers as are 1/4 to 1/3 of US users? Hardly.
    IE doesn't come with half the goodies but the average user wouldn't notice that cause we work around it.
    You complain that it's bigger yet neglect the services offered by its bigness. Increased size means increased performance and features, but all of that can be removed or made smaller, also a feature.
    All of that is contrary to anything CNET, ArsTechnica, ZDNet, LifeHacker and virtually every other trade rag says. Since I run Firefox continuously throughout my company 7-days a week, none of the three developers or I experience any of that. Fix your system.
    If such issues existed, you wouldn't see Firefox increasing usage almost every month for the past 5 years.
    Both are fine browsers, especially Safari. Opera 10.5, not out yet, is excellent. Chrome is the browser that will be jumping out at everyone by 2011 and by 2013, I bet it will be neck/neck with Firefox and IE.

drhowarddrfine, Dec 31, 2009 IP
  20. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    That's the problem. They don't do the same thing. Specifically IE does not. Firefox, Safari, Chrome, Opera are all very good and make the web developer's job easier. IE is always the odd man out since it continues to lack support for today's standards, practices and modern features that all the other browsers have today. Even IE9 won't be equal to Firefox of two years ago in two years when it comes out.

The only reason browsers appear to do the same thing is because some poor developer somewhere beat his head against the wall until he got IE to do what he wanted it to do while all the other browsers hummed merrily along in the first place.

So, yes, it does matter which browser you do NOT use. Do NOT use IE and the web can move forward with features unavailable to you right now because of it. DO use ANY other browser.

drhowarddrfine, Dec 31, 2009 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.