1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

IE 8 is more powerful than firefox?

Discussion in 'Bing' started by tonis, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    But the OBJECT tag is the cause of ALL IE ActiveX security woes!

If Firefox supports the OBJECT tag, then why isn't it just as vulnerable to nasty ActiveX as IE?

Corwin, Dec 26, 2009 IP
  2. Alex Last

Alex Last Active Member

Best Answers:
    Please? Firefox beats ie hands down.

Alex Last, Dec 26, 2009 IP
  3. ladymacbeth9

ladymacbeth9 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    actually it didn't always. in the beginning I believe there was only partial support but don't quote me on that one. that was originally meant to be the be all and end all I think, the object tag but it didn't really get the browser support from anyone for a long time.

object tag support now is

Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, Google Chrome, Safari

For the record, so far as acid 3. while neither browser passed. FF gets 89 out of 100 and IE 8 gets 70 out of 100 I believe. and they continue to downplay the importance of it.

Suffice it to say they both have their strengths and weaknesses. Firefox takes a bit more resource wise, but is still speedy, while IE 8 offers less functionality and probably more exploits, which may be just that it has a larger market share so its a bigger target right now.

In all honesty my biggest beef with MSIE is that it insists on proprietary behavior, withholds functionality and tends to treat every user like an idiot. Some people like that, I tend to find it irritating.

Spending the time to set up the whole thing so it doesn' ask you endless ridiculous questions and pop up at the drop of a hat, block your work and give you things that you dont' want for your own good wasn't on my list of things to do. LOL.

In addition IE 8 had incompatibility problems with AVG, Google toolbar, and a few others that just had you tearing out your hair. I do use IE to test some things we build, but I removed IE 8 after four days.

For those who claim how secure they are, well nothing is really completley secure. We just do our best to fight back right? Here's an interesting read about a hat trick at a hacker contest earlier this year.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2934

ladymacbeth9, Dec 26, 2009 IP
  4. SeBrantigan

SeBrantigan Peon

Best Answers:
    Chrome is the best for surfing the net if you only want to surf - if you like to have a load of addons, go use FireFox. IE is just slow...:/

SeBrantigan, Dec 26, 2009 IP
  5. YugoSlavac

YugoSlavac Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Firefox > Chrome > IE 8

YugoSlavac, Dec 26, 2009 IP
  6. ladymacbeth9

Best Answers:
    i'm confused.
    The fact that three nations are listed.. means that they DO permit international users. definition of international: Of or concerning two or more countries or nations. so that might be why people are signing up from other countries. Just a thought. but.. the point of this is that I"ve gotten this on three or four of my postings since I started here so I'm beginning to think it may be pointed at me??. If so Arizona is part of the United States, cross my heart.

ladymacbeth9, Dec 26, 2009 IP
  7. hearthackerpk

hearthackerpk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i use firfox , and i like it more then IE 8

hearthackerpk, Dec 26, 2009 IP
  8. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    IE8 gets about 21 out of 100. fwiw, IE9 gets 32/100. Your FF number is correct I believe.
    Windows is the target, not IE. Getting into Windows is the goal. Getting into the browser doesn't do much good if you want to wreak havoc.

drhowarddrfine, Dec 26, 2009 IP
  9. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Firefox doesn't run ActiveX and the object element has nothing to do with ActiveX directly.

drhowarddrfine, Dec 26, 2009 IP
  10. ebooks21

ebooks21 Peon

Best Answers:
    Firefox has always been better. IE8 is an improvement over its predecessors but still has a long way to go before reaching Firefox.

ebooks21, Dec 26, 2009 IP
  11. ck.exe

ck.exe Peon

Best Answers:
    People are using Microsoft's operating system for years and now they are saying that they have concern about their privacy when using Microsoft's browser. What a lovely logic lol

ck.exe, Dec 27, 2009 IP
  12. phalgun

phalgun Active Member

Best Answers:
    Firefox rules anytime. It has got so many plugins.

phalgun, Dec 27, 2009 IP
  13. Lee Rees

Lee Rees Peon

Best Answers:
    My laptop was recently stolen and I am now on my crappy slow backup lappy and this is my verdict:

Google chrome: Slows down when you have a lot of pages open. Some pages don't work correctly.

IE: Is faster (especially on flash content) however it can be more prone to crashes.

I hope that Google will perfect chrome as I prefer it's interface to IE.

Lee Rees, Dec 27, 2009 IP
  14. Ameena

Ameena Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think IE 8 is better than firefox really, I would use it if they have the plugins that I use at firefox.

Ameena, Dec 27, 2009 IP
  15. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    IE8 is the worst browser on the planet. 12 years behind all others technically and incompetent at best. No self respecting web developer uses IE and neither should anyone else.

drhowarddrfine, Dec 27, 2009 IP
  16. ck.exe

ck.exe Peon

Best Answers:
    The link below your signature says that IE8 is 11 years behind. And just now you said that it is 12 years behind.
    I'll advice you to check your facts and be rational instead of fooling around with the exaggeration.
    And your statement that no self respecting web developer uses IE is childish. As in reality, what you do with the browser is more important than what browser you use.
    For example let us assume that Firefox is great, but since you are using it for posting childish self contradicting messages, it will eventually suck.

ck.exe, Dec 27, 2009 IP
  17. ladymacbeth9

Best Answers:
    I love Firefox and Safari but the self respecting developer HAS to use IE to some extent. I write but I also build and sell blogs and test and do docs for some software. We have to know that what we're making works in IE even if it's not our favorite.

If you're building the best that you can for your site owners then you have to consider not just what you like, but what people are using . The fact is that we can have our pref's but we're not building for us, we're building for a larger audience and taking that audience into account has to be part of what we do. That means that testing in IE is a necessity. Like it or not, it has the largest user base.

ladymacbeth9, Dec 27, 2009 IP
  18. ladymacbeth9

Best Answers:
    I believe that IE 8 does support plugins, they just call them add-ons instead. Sort of a catch all phrase for plugins, themes, and extensions. Here are a couple of good links for you that list some of the favored ones.

www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2339704,00.asp
    www.ieaddons.com/en
    www.nirmaltv.com/2009/04/13/accelerators-and-add-ons-for-internet-explorer-8/

ladymacbeth9, Dec 27, 2009 IP
  19. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    If you knew how to use a calendar, you'd notice we are 4 days from a new year. Close enough.
    Talk about childish, since you aren't capable of coming back with any technical reason why IE8 is better, you resort to name calling. I would have thought that you would attempt to dispute the linked article, which you must have read parts of, but you didn't so perhaps you don't want to embarrass yourself by backing off your earlier statement.

In any case, Microsoft's own Dean H. and Chris Wilson, who manage IE development, both acknowledged IE8 is behind the times so I wouldn't be trying to carry that torch.

No self-respecting developer likes IE because it's not a modern browser, can't handle modern standards and practices, and is far behind in adopting them. Things that it does support, don't work correctly. and I'm not just talking about bleeding edge stuff. Web developers hate IE and that's not arguable.

drhowarddrfine, Dec 27, 2009 IP
  20. mubheer

mubheer Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, IE has problems I agree. But it's not that bad. besides several people are using IE. code separately for IE and other browsers. would be nice if Ie stick on industry standards

mubheer, Dec 27, 2009 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.