1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is DIfference between VPS and Dedicated Server ?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Kaustubh, Mar 2, 2007.

Hello,
    since many people are in proxy buisness would like to know that what is difference between VPS and Dedicated. My idea about VPS is there is single machine with some big processors like xeon and more and shared with many users is it right ? i know dedicated that it is completly mine .. just confused about what exactly VPS is ?

Kaustubh, Mar 2, 2007 IP
  2. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    You are right about a Dedicated Server.

Think of a Virtual Private Server as a go-between a virtual hosting/shared account and a dedicated server.

'Virtual' means that it is not real. Basically, it is still a shared hosting account but unlike a normal shared hosting account, each VPS has its own dedicated slice of the CPU, RAM and disk space. So basically, what you do will not affect the other VPS on the machine. You can reboot your VPS anytime you want and you will have root access.

Think of it this way. A Dedicated Server is like owning and living in your own mansion, you can share or use it completely yours, it is up to you.

A Virtual Private Server is like living in an apartment or a hotel room. You have your own doors, walls and private bathroom. You have the privacy of your own room and you more or less can do anything you want. Of course, you will share the infrastructure with the other residence in the apartment building.

A Virtual Hosting/Shared Account is like having a bed in a dormitory. You basically share a bathroom, common area and so on.

Of course, in a virtual hosting account, if you are the only customer on the machine, you can more or less use all the resources there is. If you share, as long as all the customers do not use more than what the server can handle, it does not matter.

A VPS on the other hand has stricted defined slice of the CPU/RAM and Diskspace and most of the time, unless permitted, you cannot go beyond that allocation. The good news is that no matter how crowded the server is, you still have your minimum allocation. The bad news is that if your site requires more than what the VPS slice can handle, you will bare with it even if there are more resources that is unused on the server. Of course some VPS application allow bursting to a reasonable limit but some don't.

eddy2099, Mar 2, 2007 IP
  3. Kaustubh

Kaustubh Active Member

Best Answers:
    That was so kind of you..!! REP+++ for help !

Kaustubh, Mar 2, 2007 IP
  4. Kaustubh

Kaustubh Active Member

Best Answers:
    But they offer like 512 MB ram is it fake ?? just as Virtual as u have said ?

Kaustubh, Mar 2, 2007 IP
  5. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, like in the PM, it can be real. Most offering VPS can actually use monster servers with probably quad CPUs and in excess of 16gb RAM.

Okay, one reliable company offering VPS is Servint. (Note : not to say the others are not reliable, but Servint is what I have tried in the past).

See http://www.servint.net/vps/index.php .

An example of one of their configuration looks like

Okay, here you see two figures for RAM. 'Burst RAM' and 'Guaranteed RAM'. The Guaranteed RAM is what you will be getting for sure. The Burst RAM is the maximum but it is not guaranteed.

Like I said in my PM, check the fineprints because not every web host is honest and give you a full disclosure. They may just state the Burst RAM and not the actual allocated.

The other thing is the CPU slice, how much percentage of the CPU you get and what kind of CPU they use for the machine.

eddy2099, Mar 2, 2007 IP
  6. Kaustubh

Kaustubh Active Member

Best Answers:
    ahh ic thanks ...

Kaustubh, Mar 3, 2007 IP
  7. wokyoh

wokyoh Peon

Best Answers:
    Virtual Private server meaning you can have more than 1 inside 1 dedicated server yet it acts as if the dedicated server was yours. It is depends on a dedicated server, but there may be other 4 or 5 VPSs on that same server. With VPS you are basically sharing the resources of a single dedicated between all of the VPSs hosted on it. So, depending on your needs a VPS may be better, because they are reasonably priced as compared to a dedicated server, or a Dedicated server might be better, because it is completely yours and there are no other root users.

wokyoh, Mar 3, 2007 IP
  8. shivgoyal

shivgoyal Peon

Best Answers:
    @ eddy2099
    Very neatly explained mate :)

shivgoyal, Jul 28, 2009 IP
  9. Escaped

Escaped Peon

Best Answers:
    I have only just registered to thank you. Thanks eddy!

Escaped, Dec 13, 2009 IP
  10. kingsley

kingsley Member

Best Answers:
    I like the way you answered this question.
    I have 5 blogs to start up very soon. I want to buy a dedicated server for it. Can i host the 5 blogs in one account(the dedicated server acount) ?

kingsley, Dec 26, 2009 IP
  11. pcz

pcz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What a nice explanation. REP+ given.
    This is the info I was looking for.

pcz, May 8, 2010 IP
  12. pakistanihaider

pakistanihaider Member

Best Answers:
    Very Thanks..It clears everything.

pakistanihaider, Jan 12, 2011 IP
  13. ashyuk

ashyuk Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Very useful explanation - thanks Eddy. I wish I knew this before I signed up for my VPS! Hostgator just kicked us off our regular hosting plan because our sites were taking up too much resources and affecting "other customers sites"... And to be honest i'm not seeing any improvement between regular shared hosting and a VPS - apart from now i can watch as our CPU works at 100%. DOH.

ashyuk, Feb 6, 2011 IP
  14. bioshock

bioshock Peon

Best Answers:
    off course you can ; you can host as many site As you wish on the same ip( if you have only one ip) ; the only things that holds you back is resources like diskspace

bioshock, Feb 6, 2011 IP
  15. olddocks

olddocks Notable Member

Best Answers:
    if you want to learn about managing your own server, VPS is a good start for learners. i would strongly recommend experiment with your VPS before jumping to dedicated server. VPS is half the price of dedicated servers.

olddocks, Feb 7, 2011 IP
  16. Ajmalrasikp

Ajmalrasikp Peon

Best Answers:
    really thanks you are master in explaining.

Ajmalrasikp, May 11, 2011 IP
  17. rezax123

rezax123 Member

Best Answers:
    thanx for details explanation. and i m also looking towards to buy a dedicated server coz now i m paying 75$ per month to my company. and its sucks for me. coz i m getting vps support from them. now its time to move on the dedicated server.

rezax123, Sep 20, 2011 IP
  18. elmar1o

elmar1o Peon

Best Answers:
    I was surprised to learn that a virtual server is almost the same thing as a dedicated one, but with restrictions on the resources and configuration. If you want to understand what is what, I recommend this blog: https://inxyhost.com/blog/dedicated-servers-vs-vps:-dramatic-. Helped me to comprehend the issue entirely.

elmar1o, Apr 14, 2016 IP
  19. magzen

magzen Peon

Best Answers:
    For a very cheap powerful dedicated server i recommend Soyoustart, have been with them for 8 months now and everything is running smoothly, but dont expect any help
    since the servers are unmanaged and you need to have a little experience with servers.

magzen, Apr 21, 2016 IP
  20. TomRider

TomRider Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    A dedicated server is the traditional methd of hosting any type of server. In this set-up, each server is run on its separate hardware installation and does not share any resource with other servers. A VPS is a method of hosting where multiple servers are running on a single hardware installation. This is achieved with some virtualization software that runs on top of the machines operating system. Other operating systems are then run on top of the virtualization software.

TomRider, Apr 27, 2016 IP