1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Suggestion Suggest DP allow Suggestions

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by L7world, Dec 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I just noticed that my suggestion for DP to reduce the posting requirements for certain threads, was deleted and got red.

Silly me, making suggestions ON A SUGGESTION THREAD!

L7world, Dec 16, 2009 IP
    hamish likes this.
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Your thread was deleted because it was more or less advertising...

"Hi, I want to post a contest I'm running at http://whatever.com/mycontest.html but I can't because I'm not allowed to do so in the right section."

That's why your post was deleted... it was more advertising than asking an actual question. As far as "red" no clue what you are referring to... you were not given an infraction for it.

digitalpoint, Dec 16, 2009 IP
  3. L7world

L7world Active Member

Best Answers:
    wrong.

If was trying to advertise, i would have ACTUALLY talked about contest and encouraged people to sign up (which i didn't), what i did was politely explain how by the time i could post in the proper section contest would be over. In other words, i was looking for help (thanks for nothing).

and i did get red before it was deleted shows it right in http://forums.digitalpoint.com/usercp.php

Latest Reputation Received
    Thread Date Comment
    N/A Dec 2nd 2009 1:37 am -rules is to to obey, not to changed if you didn't like

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
    L7world, Dec 16, 2009 IP
  4. Imbo

Imbo Member

Best Answers:
    Well ask someone on the forum if they wouldn't mind posting it for you. That took all of about 2 seconds to come up with.

Imbo, Dec 16, 2009 IP
  5. L7world

L7world Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm sure that's somehow against rules too,
    but that's besides the point.
    The suggestion was (and still is) about making the forum easier to use.

L7world, Dec 16, 2009 IP
  6. Imbo

Imbo Member

Best Answers:
    Well you asked how to accomplish, how you can post in a section if you have not been a member for over 7-15 day's.

It's up to you how you use the knowledge/suggestion. It's mearly that a suggestion. However I highly doubt Sean is going to post your link for you, nor personally cares.

As for the belief that you should be able to post in that particular section. The rules are the rules. The reason it's like that is to cut down on spam and people posting bs all over the place. I would hate to imagine how cluttered with spam the forum would be, if your "suggestion" was put into place.

Imbo, Dec 16, 2009 IP
  7. L7world

L7world Active Member

Best Answers:
    Obviously they don't have to use my "suggestion" (by definition)
    they just shouldn't delete it or punish you for it.

L7world, Dec 16, 2009 IP
  8. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The reason it was deleted was posted above... As far as who gave you rep, anyone can give you rep, it has nothing to do with admins or moderators.

digitalpoint, Dec 16, 2009 IP
  9. L7world

L7world Active Member

Best Answers:
    The reason it wasn't advertising was posted above...

But i'll be glad to re-explain. the post was about making posting in ALL threads easier for user, i mentioned it was problem (called feedback) in posting and included a single link as a reference and if you had a problem with that link you could have easily deleted as you did above or asked me too.

Real simple way to tell advertising:

"Contest!
    To enter do: blah blah
    you can win: blah blah.
    Deadline: blah blah. Sign up today!" === Advertising

VS.

"Hi, I want to post a contest I'm running at http://whatever.com/mycontest.html but I can't because I'm not allowed to do so in the right section." === Suggestion / Feedback.

Not really that hard to see difference

L7world, Dec 16, 2009 IP
  10. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    Must be since you're still not getting it.

You could have asked the question without giving the link to the contest.

Although I have to admit that "Please give a link when asking a question" is something I bang over people's heads on support forums that I help out on.

theapparatus, Dec 16, 2009 IP
  11. L7world

L7world Active Member

Best Answers:
    yeah and mod could have just delete link instead of post, and people could refrain from being internet tuff guy and giving bad rep for questions. Lots of things could have happened.

regardless you are the one still not getting it.

#1 i put a single link as a reference to what i was talking about in a post that was several sentences long and talked about easing posting restrictions AND NOT ADVERTISING!
    #2 show me the rule that says no links in suggestion & feedback. If a link in and of itself is advertising then almost everyone is advertising via their signature, particularly you.

L7world, Dec 16, 2009 IP
  12. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Links in signatures have absolutely nothing to do with links in posts.

When your link is a primary part of the post and not really necessary to the post (yours was not), you could have gotten an infraction for link spamming - 5 points. Yet you didn't get any.

You posted something clearly covered in the rules. You didn't meet the requirements. You did NOT make any actual suggestions in that thread (just posted to say you didn't meet the requirements) short of your title. Even that vague suggestion has already been made and rejected numerous times. Because you didn't bother searching and posted something already covered, you could have gotten a duplicate thread infraction. But again, you didn't get any infractions. It was a thread with absolutely no value to anyone but you, and completely unnecessary.

You got your answer. You don't want to hear it. Tough luck. Thread closed.

jhmattern, Dec 17, 2009 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.