1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Very high Bounce rate in GA

Discussion in 'Google Analytics' started by ckarthikc, Dec 10, 2009.

hi,
    The bounce rate of my portal is very high. Need some help in understanding the below.
    My portal has many channels which is structured as subfolders and sub domains. Linked to other sites also.
    The bounce rate of the homepage is very high.
    Please help me understand how bounce rate is calculated in Google Analytics.

Rgs
    Karthik

ckarthikc, Dec 10, 2009 IP
  2. dipali

dipali Peon

Best Answers:
    Bounce ratio is calculated as it is the ration of visitors who exited website (single page) with doing any interaction on site like clicking on link or watching video.

hope it will help you to understand.

dipali, Dec 10, 2009 IP
  3. Applications developer

Applications developer Peon

Best Answers:
    Analysis the key words that referred the visitors to your site and bounced.

Applications developer, Dec 11, 2009 IP
  4. captainA

captainA Peon

Best Answers:
    I thought it was time based, like 10 seconds?...

captainA, Dec 11, 2009 IP
  5. accho18

accho18 Peon

Best Answers:
    Bounce rate is both time based (time spend on site) - this can be from either clicking on a link (bouncing to another site) or just exiting out of the site. depending on the relevancy of your keywords to that of your site determines how long visitors stay on your site, which-in-turn lowers your bounce rate. But as I've already stated high bounce rates aren't always bad because they also mean that your customers are clicking through to your offers or other links present on your site. So overall, bounce rate is nothing unless you own a blog without any affiliate link/etc. In your case don't pay attention to that but make sure that every keyword you're ranked for (that HAS to do with your site) is catered to within your site. hope that makes sense.

accho18, Dec 12, 2009 IP
  6. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    If you follow Avinash Kaushik, he describes it as someone comes to your site, pukes and leaves :)

Bounce rate is my favorite marketing metric. I actually made a Squidoo Lens on Bounce rate http://www (dot)squidoo (dot)com/BounceRate.

Homer, Dec 13, 2009 IP
  7. slivengood

slivengood Peon

Best Answers:
    If a user visits your site, gets all the information they want, then leaves without clicking on anything, then that gets recorded as a bounce. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Do you have a lot of content on a single home page? Because that might be causing a high bounce rate - that happens with a lot of blog sites.

slivengood, Dec 16, 2009 IP
  8. ContentSpooling

ContentSpooling Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe the visitors found no interesting on your homepage. It's possible that you are targeting the wrong keyword for your site.

ContentSpooling, Dec 16, 2009 IP
  9. Michael Carlson

Michael Carlson Peon

Best Answers:
    Bounce rate is the percentage of single-page visit in which the person left your site from the landing page. You might as well change the keyword you used

Michael Carlson, Dec 17, 2009 IP
  10. newlogo

newlogo Peon

Best Answers:
    once user dont like site they close immediately so bounce rate increase

newlogo, Dec 18, 2009 IP