1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Whats up ! Question for those still in directory business

Discussion in 'Directories' started by paidhosting, Dec 5, 2009.

Hello yall whoever remembers me and to the newbies :p ,
    I got a small question, who here is using latest version aka version 4.0 of phpld ?

I checked few of the old directories i used to know like alive directory biz king and others, they all seem to be still on version 3+ .

Shall i spend some time and upgrade my 2 wonderful directories (amazingly they are running on their own and getting some good traffic as what alexa and google analytics tells me) to version 4 of phpld ?

Has esyndicate become and better or is that script still bloated ? Any new directory scripts out there, that are simple to use and clean ?

Thanks

paidhosting, Dec 5, 2009 IP
  2. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    All of the sites you mention have probably highly customized the script and corrected all the bugs in it.

The problem with upgrading that script is that getting it to run right (all the bugs fixed and customizations) in the first place takes a huge amount of time, programming and resources.

Then there is the problem of customized templates not working cross versions.

Then there is the issue of all the customizations that are required to get it to be something other than another of thousands or sites running the same script.

Would you want to go through that every time a new version comes out? Especially considering that the version you have really does everything you want with the customizations you want.

swedal, Dec 5, 2009 IP
    msolution likes this.
  3. alistair80

alistair80 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @ swedal

That's why I never upgraded mine. The upgrade I believe will definitely affect the script core and with all the mods that I've on mine, it'd not be worth it. However, I really would like to see some directories running on v4.

alistair80, Dec 5, 2009 IP
  4. dog222

dog222 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm curious as to what you mean "Has esyndicate become and better or is that script still bloated" ? What to you mean as "bloated"?

They just released a new version 2.3 --- http://www.esyndicat.com/demo/

dog222, Dec 5, 2009 IP
  5. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    for established directory, it is always hard to upgrade the script, as mentioned above.

I seldom upgrade scripts.

xc06, Dec 5, 2009 IP
  6. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    Not when the developers of the script provide a simple way to upgrade. Agreed this is not easy when the script is not well written to support users customizations.

I paid them an unlimited domain license ($499) and still I am thinking about sending a donation to support the development of the script. They did a tremendous job with their latest version 2.3
    Look at what you get for $75
    Extremely well written script
    All these features which can be installed with one click (needless to say they are supported by the developers)
    deep links and cross categories out of the box
    You don't have to keep the linkback in the footer
    zip code search (paid modification),
    and more...

enQuira, Dec 5, 2009 IP
    hyper likes this.
  7. EveryQuery

EveryQuery Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I typically upgrade only if I really want some new feature or there is a bug fix in a new version. So I don't upgrade with every single release that PHPLD rolls out.

But I did take the time to upgrade to 4.0. I had no problems upgrading..aside from having to re-implement the mods that I have been using (especially my article directory which is my own bastardization of the standard PHPLD script).

EveryQuery, Dec 5, 2009 IP
  8. msolution

msolution Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well put @swedal

after fixing bugs and so much of customization, one wouldn't know where to start in case of an upgrade! ....

anybody starting afresh, yes 4.0 is the way to go....

M.

msolution, Dec 5, 2009 IP
  9. zebno

zebno Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am not a big fan of script update untill you got some problems with your current one. So currently for me the old script works like a charm :)

zebno, Dec 6, 2009 IP
  10. Ibn Juferi

Ibn Juferi Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I have a relatively new directory but I am running phpLD 3.3 on it. I really don't see the need to upgrade to 4.0 as 3.3 has everything I need. If I want more, I just get the mods.

Ibn Juferi, Dec 6, 2009 IP
  11. humm

humm बहादुर बच्चा

Best Answers:
    Ofcourse we (I) remember you dude.. So how is life and work?? ;)

Regarding your question, update means a lot of technical issues and most importantly Time.. hence I plan things only when vv. free.

humm, Dec 6, 2009 IP
  12. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    As a developer, they have too much stuff happening within the directory, directory should be simple for users to follow and manage. Unlike phpld the learning curve is steeper . I am not even sure how hard it is now to create or modify their templates, i found phpld editing of templates way easier , with esy. there were always way more files to edit. That is why i say it's bloated cause it takes more time to work with esy. than with phpld. Plus esy. support was not the best of what i got, hence had to get a refund cause they disappointed me.

Anyways if no one upgrading to version 4 , than i am guessing there are no mods/plugins being coded for that. I might just download and try to install it locally on my puter and see if 3.2 can be exported to 4 in one swoop :p, but database structure might have changed :confused:

@humm kaiyshee kiyaa yai ? बहादुर बच्चा ??

paidhosting, Dec 6, 2009 IP
  13. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I could be wrong, but it is my understanding that with phpld one has to upgrade sequentially. I mean if you have 3.2 and want to get to 4.0 one needs to upgrade from 3.2 to 3.3 to 3.4 to 4.0. Good luck with that.

swedal, Dec 6, 2009 IP
  14. socialpark

socialpark Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    We initially purchased phpmydirectory but found it to be rather limited in import features ( slow speed when dealing with large number of records ) also we had to perform number of mysql optimizations just to get it to the state where it would be usable ( speed wise ).

We threw all this away and built our own custom solution that works with WP. It's powered by PostgreSQL and state of the art MVC framework. Its very fast and it can scale well. We already are hosting two clients ( where you can see it in action ) on the following domains www[dot]legalx[dot]net and www[dot]ifsdb[dot]com

This is a fully hosted and managed solution ( we do not sell source code ). We have 2 large data centers where we host it. PM me if you are interested.

socialpark, Dec 6, 2009 IP
  15. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    With their new templates system you need only modify 2 template files (header.tpl and footer.tpl) and 1 css file.
    The other files are retrieved from the default template.
    If you need to modify other parts you simply need to create the appropriate file and the script will use it. So I guess they already resolved your problem with the template.

enQuira, Dec 6, 2009 IP
  16. hotftuna

hotftuna Active Member

Best Answers:
    I like esyndicate and use it on two directories. It may be bloated but still works fine.

I run a prehistoric version of phplink directory on one site and thought about upgrading it.

I may just leace it as is and lower review price from $10 to $5.

hotftuna, Dec 6, 2009 IP
  17. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    I am sure that sequential update is only for database, not for file changes, with new script i do not know how much time i would have to put in to install the addons and plugins i got going on the new file system.

Is esyndicate encrypted or can you modify the main system files ? I forgot the name of the script that came out few years ago which was encrypted, I think being encrypted might have been one reason for me to not go with esyn. i could be wrong its been so many years since i used esy.

MVC is actually quite interesting stuff, you using zend framework or asp stuff , socialpark ?

18. United32

United32 Guest

Best Answers:
    I am on 4.0. Works like a charm.

Have had some "outdated" mods at the 3.3 version. Now I have redesigned and installed some custom mods.

Widget function alone is worth upgrading.

But if you have many mods, stay at that version you are running.

United32, Dec 6, 2009 IP
  19. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i havent upgraded any of my directories. PhpLD is broken as it is, let ago trying to upgrade it.

Nima, Dec 6, 2009 IP
  20. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    @nima what you mean phpld is broken as it is ?