1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Is Really F'ing Us Now: If You Have A Website Read This!

Discussion in 'Google' started by redgsr, Dec 4, 2009.

Not sure if this has been posted and I copied it from WM.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/personalized-search-for-everyone.html

More good info about this here.

What this basically means is all the SEO work you have done in the past is just that, the past.

redgsr, Dec 4, 2009 IP
    Jin and wptheme like this.
  2. wptheme

wptheme Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I believe its not affecting the whole searches being done as only a fraction of percentage is actually using the personalized searches. In the future, a possibility maybe but not something to be worried at the moment.

wptheme, Dec 4, 2009 IP
  3. eXp3rT

eXp3rT Peon

Best Answers:
    yep , i think this won't crash our SEO work. And not to much ppl using personalized searches

eXp3rT, Dec 4, 2009 IP
  4. Nystul

Nystul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oh well, if your site is to with good contents, you have all to gain!

Nystul, Dec 4, 2009 IP
  5. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Google are there to find ways to best meet the needs of the searcher. As much as we want them to be, they are not there to meet our SEO needs.

Agent000, Dec 4, 2009 IP
  6. MoviesP.com

MoviesP.com Peon

Best Answers:
    em, this news is interesting, so what can happen next?

MoviesP.com, Dec 4, 2009 IP
  7. redgsr

redgsr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You are missing what is happening. This is going to effect every computer that uses Google. Google is creating personalized searches for EVERYONE you don't have to be logged into a Google account.

This means Joe Shome the average web surfer is now going to be getting personalized results from Google and he won't even know it. Every singe computer is eventually going to have a different set of search results unless you know how to opt out of this.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
    redgsr, Dec 5, 2009 IP
  8. DanAbbamont

DanAbbamont Guest

Best Answers:
    I still don't see what the big deal is. All this means is that if someone repeatedly clicks on a site in the search results, that site will get some extra boost the next time that user makes a similar search.

It's the same thing that goes on for signed in users, except it's cookie based now. If someone is searching for a new term they're still going to get the same results they would.

DanAbbamont, Dec 5, 2009 IP
  9. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Amazing comments, all noobs jumping on it as if they know it all, no one understands the value and importance of privacy and how it can affect their lives as a whole in future. People who are claiming it is good for seo probably need a brain check, in few days time, all you will see are personalised results, you would need to hookup to proxies to see neutralized results! this doesn't end here, this shall lead to other things which could mean solid slap on face of seo. To get some real sense hit it here http://www.webmasterworld.com/google/4037372-1-30.htm

Jin, Dec 5, 2009 IP
    wwe_fan9417 likes this.
  10. DanAbbamont

DanAbbamont Guest

Best Answers:
    You can always clear your cookies. Personalized search is a good idea for users. It might hurt some peoples traffic, but then again if you have users that find your sites repeatedly it could help your traffic. There's a balance to it.

This is nothing compared to the computer specific cookies they're already using for ad serving, etc.

11. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Clearing those cookies, are you serious? so, technically you are going to clear those cookies after each browser session? and will make sure you have a dynamic ip? and switch off personalized search when ever you log into google properties, such as gmail? are you sure avg joe even knows about cookie? why would i want to see content and pages which i have already seen/known? isn't it about freshness and uniquness? you do not value your privacy? you like your life to be controlled? do you understand matrix?

Jin, Dec 5, 2009 IP
  12. redgsr

redgsr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Jin this is why I don't post here much anymore people just don't understand. I thought I would try again but I can see people don't actually read whats going on they just post.

redgsr, Dec 5, 2009 IP
  13. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Most of them don't understand and realise whats going on, they don't have their say because they don't know. This is an attitude of an average Joe and google knows it, hence all this exploitation. Just look at their recent inventions, google sidewiki, google dns, personalized results etc etc! Its time to stand up and say no to Gorg!

Jin, Dec 5, 2009 IP
  14. DanAbbamont

DanAbbamont Guest

Best Answers:
    All it means is if you click a link, google assumes that you like it and gives it a little boost in your personal rankings. The example about recipes they give is actually good. As far as IP, I don't think they're tracking by IP at all. They don't mention that they are. That would have major problems anywhere where a large amount of people share an internet connection.

If you want to check your serps, just don't click on your own links when you do it or clear your cookies. The average joe shouldn't really care because it's not like they're tracking his name or anything, just that it's a unique browser.

15. Gerinja

Gerinja Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    like some would say that it might just be a fraction of users that this would affect, but could this be a beginning of something that would make SEO obsolete? I wonder...

Gerinja, Dec 5, 2009 IP
  16. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Its not a fraction, who ever says is an ignorant!

Jin, Dec 5, 2009 IP
  17. Yabbadoo

Yabbadoo Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think it would affect all users. I don't have Google toolbar.

Yabbadoo, Dec 5, 2009 IP
  18. akamafia2009

akamafia2009 Peon

Best Answers:
    yes this wont effect everyone but its still a dissapointment.

akamafia2009, Dec 5, 2009 IP
  19. redgsr

redgsr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If by fraction you mean most of the people that use the Internet then yes you're correct.

redgsr, Dec 5, 2009 IP
  20. Traveling

Traveling Peon

Best Answers:
    If you run bogus sites, then yes, you may have a reason for concern. But if you're a hard working webmaster who strives to provide quality information without compromise, then you will benefit. I have been vastly enjoying the improvements ;)

Traveling, Dec 5, 2009 IP