1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Beijing selling China to the world

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by robisong, Dec 2, 2009.

The Chinese government has started a global charm offensive aimed at getting more consumers to reach for "Made in China" products.The Chinese Ministry of Commerce said the initiative was designed to promote Chinese-made products "in a fair and objective way".The campaign started on Nov 23 with a 30-second spot on CNN International, CNN US and CNN Headline News, the ministry said in a statement.

The ad, which carries the hook "Made in China: Made with the world" shares the message "co-operation and participation" and highlights the fact that Chinese companies work with overseas firms to produce quality products.

In the ad, a series of goods with the "Made in China" label are shown being made with the help of top foreign firms.

An MP3 player is described as "Made in China with software from Silicon Valley". A fashion shoot includes clothes labeled "Made in China with French designers". And a refrigerator bears the text "Made in China with European styling".

The campaign "reflects the Chinese firms' attitude and aspiration of strengthening cooperation with other countries to provide quality goods for foreign consumers", the statement said.

"China is known as the 'world's factory'. It is the planet's largest manufacturer of more than 210 industrial products,Chinese products can be found everywhere in the world now. However, some do not have a good reputation. The task of promoting the brand is imminent," said Robin xu, COO of the Sinamalls.com,a large online shop to sell more than 8000 products that made in China.

robisong, Dec 2, 2009 IP
  2. codemax

codemax Peon

Best Answers:
    I think China will be the next leader

codemax, Dec 2, 2009 IP
  3. sachin410

sachin410 Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    already is in many ways.....;).

sachin410, Dec 2, 2009 IP
  4. rogabiz

rogabiz Peon

Best Answers:
    awesome...congrats china...

rogabiz, Dec 2, 2009 IP
  5. TomR

TomR Peon

Best Answers:
    Made in China = Made by communists who don't let their currency trade on the free market and therefore are able to commit economic warfare on the rest of the world.

Made in USA=Jobs for my neighbors.

On a daily basis I avoid buying shit made in China.

Tom

TomR, Dec 2, 2009 IP
    snowbird likes this.
  6. InBiz

InBiz Peon

Best Answers:
    Amen to that.

InBiz, Dec 2, 2009 IP
  7. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Americans are very complacent. Look at black Friday. Many Americans were ready to run down the people in front of them to save a few bucks on low quality Chinese products. It's utter madness.

And look to the politicians tomorrow. They will be working hard on meetings to improve the job market. That just will not happen unless fair trade is addressed, and no politician seems to want to touch that issue even though it does not increase deficit spending by one penny.

The minimum wage in China is the equivalent of $0.70 USD per hour. It is impossible to compete with 10 Chinese workers to 1 American worker earning minimum wage.

A great opportunity to lift the people of the world was lost when the USA agreed to these trade agreements. It's well past time to revisit these trade agreements and revise them for the benefit of all parties with a focus on the benefit of people - not large corporations.

snowbird, Dec 2, 2009 IP
  8. kingsoflegend

kingsoflegend Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Tiananmen square massacre: made in China with russian weapons. Catchy.

kingsoflegend, Dec 2, 2009 IP
  9. parplex

parplex Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, I think a few of you could take a few economics lessons(specificly a few international trade courses). You might then realize what you are saying would actually hurt the US and other economies.

As for china being the next leader, not yet, its not a short process. They still lack very much in the R&D department and have been having to import that in. They manufacture very well, but create, not yet.

parplex, Dec 2, 2009 IP
  10. TomR

TomR Peon

Best Answers:
    I bet you like to watch FOX.

Tom

TomR, Dec 2, 2009 IP
  11. Obamanation

Obamanation Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I just want some of that Chinese Sanlu Melamine Milk to hand out as Christmas gifts to people I don't like. I personally look forward to China's progression. If China can bring even 400 million of it's 1.25 billion people out of poverty, that is 100 million more consumers than America has and we can sell our products to them. Since we don't manufacture, it would be basically our technology, manufactured in China, and sold to the Chinese, while the profits roll back to the good old USA. I just wish the Chinese would do more of their share in being the World Police, instead of the World's worst polluters. I think capitalism will bring that about as a natural consequence. If they really want people to "Buy Chinese", they need good PR, which includes all of the above.

Obamanation, Dec 2, 2009 IP
  12. TomR

TomR Peon

Best Answers:
    That will benefit the small percentage of Americans who are serious stock holders, but what about everybody else?

The interests of Wall St and Main St continue to diverge.

Tom

TomR, Dec 2, 2009 IP
  13. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    There is only one kind of interest that counts no matter where you go. Self Interest. True for Wall Street, Main Street, Democrats, Republicans, Palestinians, Jews, welfare recipients, and trust fund kids. I suppose that is a topic for a separate thread.

Businesses in the states selling into a Chinese market would do more than profit the stock holders of those businesses(read life insurance companies, pension funds, 401ks, brokerage houses, and small concerns). They would also create jobs. Apple employs a goodly number of people and the I-Phone is an international best seller. Sales abroad, jobs at home.

14. parplex

parplex Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually, no I do not. I support free trade, with small exceptions(developing countries), and I do not support high tariffs or pretty much any tariffs. Majority of people who study this, know it helps everyone. Yes your poor neighbor may lose his job on the assembly line putting a single screw into a widget but other jobs open up in its place.

While your at it, why don't you go ahead and blame modern technology while you are at it. They have machines that now solder electronics, there goes that job of sitting there with an iron. Of course that allowed better technology and oh yea, a lot more jobs. Or a seeder, now there are a lot of jobs lost, planting seeds use to take a lot of people. If you want to go even less advanced blame animal powered farming tools. Or even wind powered machines(that damn windmill).

All those people lost their jobs because a better more efficient way came about.

This is no different. So dont blame China and lower wages.

parplex, Dec 2, 2009 IP
  15. TomR

TomR Peon

Best Answers:
    Please show me where I blamed China and low wages. I never said anything near that.

I am blaming China who will not allow their currency to be freely traded. I am also blaming their communist state.

Do you even have a clue what I am talking about? Apparently not as you completely avoided what I said.

Go ahead and argue with yourself if you want, but please don't try to include me in that stupidity.

Tom

TomR, Dec 2, 2009 IP
  16. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    Easy. If I understand your posts, you are both on the same side. Free trade is a good thing. Unfair competition is not. Outsourced labor should have the same safety standards/working conditions/work hours/insurance requirements applied to it that our government mandates, or our own labor will never be able to compete at any wage.

17. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You mean profits roll back to a select few don't you? Because such thinking will do nothing for the millions of people that are currently unemployed. What shall we do with these people anyway? There is no money to retrain them and there are no jobs for them to work at. Shall they get unemployment for life and where will that money come from? Possibly the profits obtained from outsourcing technology?

China has a worker shortage and the USA has a job shortage. I don't buy into the fact that this is "acceptable" and part of fair trade. It's simply a massive transfer of wealth happening at such a fast pace that most people don't recognize it even exists.

The economics information that is circulated among pro-trade groups is mostly outdated and based on decades old trade models. Modern day economics are much different then the good ole days where raw materials were traded among countries so they could produce from within. These days nearly every widget that is purchased by consumers comes from another country.

I hope some people caught CNBC last night and watched Rebuilding America. It was a good show and highlighted some important issues that were hatched from both the Republican and Democratic parties. Unfortunately there is too much infighting and posturing going on with the politicians while potentially millions of additional people will lose jobs.

The USA's policies need to better reflect a need to employ people and raise the standard of living across the world. And as we sit here and bicker, the fact remains thousands of people lost their jobs today. We all should write our representatives and demand that they deal with the problems at hand and do it in such a way that common sense prevails over politics.

snowbird, Dec 3, 2009 IP
  18. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    Anyone with a retirement account in stocks, which is pretty much all of the middle class. If you want to complain about the swindling of stock holders by the boards of directors and senior management, I'm with you there. But in essence, good for American companies should mean good for Americans.

It seems the current administration is dealing with this problem. Rapid expansion of the government means lots of new government jobs. The government always has something you can do for it, regardless of your skill level. I personally want to work for the National Endowment for the Arts so I can help push our President's agenda.

The jobs numbers are only partially related to this manufacturing issue. No doubt GM and Chrysler layoffs had a big impact, but much bigger is investor confidence. At the pace we are printing and spending money right now, I think smart investors are well diversified and keeping their powder dry, waiting to see what happens. Small companies are bracing for the impact of several new taxes to pay for health care so I'm sure they aren't to keen on hiring a bunch of people right now either. Its like we just passed into the eye of a the Hurricane, battered and wet, and now everyone is waiting for the eye to pass and the storm to resume. When investor confidence returns, so will your jobs. My prediction is 2015ish, and we will definitely have sacked many a politician by then.

Obamanation, Dec 3, 2009 IP
  19. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure where you've been, but many in the middle class you speak of are living off of their retirement accounts and/or have seen them shrink by as much as half if they were diversified properly. Those that were not diversified properly were hit even harder.

Rapid expansion of government started under Bush, with the creation of the TSA. In addition to this rapid expansion of government, the airline industry was absolved from funding airport security. And what rapid expansion of government has the current administration put into place? At this stage bills are in the House and Senate. Nothing much has expanded under Obama as compared to Bush (TSA, Iraq War, Afghanistan War, etc.), except a little common sense which Bush so heavily lacked.

I'm not sure where you live, but I reside in a region that was heavily dependent on the auto industry. The jobs lost at the Big 3 auto manufacturers had a ripple effect, causing massive layoffs and cutbacks of part suppliers and truckers in this region and nationally. However, in a rush to maintain profits among a slumping US economy, other manufacturers have also cutback and outsourced as well.

Once again, I'm not sure what planet you are from but small business is not bracing for new taxes. They are bracing for the 15% expected rise in health insurance premiums. My family health insurance policy premiums went up 31% this year. 31 f*cking percent. How many years do you expect small businesses and the self employed to deal with this unsustainable rate of increase? Bankruptcy court has become a modern day insurance policy for many and it will get much worse in the coming years.

Wrong again. When investor confidence returns that money will flow even faster to emerging markets, not the economic disaster left by Bush and his fellow tag along Republicans. Jobs will return when people have the money and start purchasing locally and nationally to support businesses at home.

The problem with your line of thinking is that you believe in such a free market that the average American will be steamrolled. The theory that money will flow back is partially correct. The problem is for every dollar that leaves this country, very little actually returns. Look at the trade deficit. Those numbers don't lie.

Anyway, this is my last comment in this thread. Some people are just so thick headed that they can't see the forest from the trees. Additionally, someone that uses a nickname such as "Obamanation" certainly wears their politics on their sleeves. I've got some family members like that as well. They too shift all the blame on a President that has been in office for a year but are oblivious to Bush's eight years of carnage and the path to economic failure he helped put us on. And before that bozo left office, he signed additional unbalanced trade agreements to further whored out America without any consideration for its impact on workers in either country.

snowbird, Dec 4, 2009 IP
  20. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    Whats interesting is most of your posts are non-contradictory to mine, but you phrase them like they are

So we agree. The middle class with, its stock portfolio will benefit from rising values in US companies.

We agree again, plenty of blame to go around.

Now here you are just being argumentative. I'm sure your aware that Obama implemented, and therefore owns, TARP 2, The stimulus package (more than double the size of the one implemented by Bush Co.), and Cash for Clunkers. And since you mention what is in the queue, we have Cap and Trade, and a trillion dollar new entitlement plan. Time to wake up and smell the spending.

Too big to fail then? Like I said, and you agree, GM and Chrysler had a big impact, but investor confidence is what is preventing new jobs from appearing. Are you disagreeing with that?

"Once again"...? I have yet to seriously disagree with you, except for your Obama cheer leading. To your point, the CBO expects insurance premiums to rise under the proposed Health care bills in the house and senate. Not sure how that helps you. Additionally, you get to pay more in taxes to help pay for the multi-trillion dollar entitlement. So do businesses. How is this going to help your earlier complaint about joblessness as related to the auto industry? The best part about it is, the damage this new debt will do to our economy will actually lower tax revenues and devalue our dollar. That will kill the claimed deficit neutrality/beneficial effects of the bill. California just hit the same problem, its why they cant get a balanced budget now, even with cuts. So much tax revenue is being lost by falling housing prices and foreclosures, all of the tax revenue models are coming up short, and will continue to do so.

At least you've decided who to blame. I had you pegged completely wrong.

You mean when people have jobs? So jobs will return when people have jobs? Clever.

And you base that on... what? I don't recall publishing a detailed position statement on free markets in this thread. Perhaps you can point it out to me.

I don't recall posting an anti-US manufacturing base post in this thread. Did I? Regarding foreign trade, are you implying we become isolationist? I see you trying to shoot holes in what I said, while it appears that you agree with most of it. Why don't you present some data, link effect to cause, and put out some ideas of what would fix it.

The humor of your post comes from you calling me an ideologue who only desires to blame our current president for our problems, while your entire post proposes no new solutions and only try to blame the previous administration while completely ignoring the problems being created by the new administration. We may have a new Zibblu. Welcome!:D

Regarding my name, I created it because I'm Obama's biggest fan. He is an international super star who can woo foreign leaders out of their nuclear arsenals in a single meeting. He is the one who will bring peace and balance to our nation. He is the one who will reach across party lines and heal the wounds caused by the evil Bush/Cheney admin. He is the one who will make the world a better and greener place. He is the Nobel Prize laureate who will bring peace to the middle east. On top of all that, he is a damn sexy black man with personal magnetism unlike the world has ever seen. If I were to go gay, it would be for him. I think you can agree with me here.

Obamanation, Dec 4, 2009 IP