1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

If I don't use my PC for a long long time...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sachin410, Dec 1, 2009.

If I don't use my PC for a long long time...

can its performance deteriorate?

I have two desktops and a laptop.

one of the desktops is idle.

is it ok if I don't use it for a few months or maybe years....:D?

sachin410, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  2. dlprentice

dlprentice Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't see why NOT using it would hurt it when leaving computers on for a very long time like servers increases cost due to hardware failure eventually.

dlprentice, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  3. abstroose

abstroose Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nope, there's no harm in that. Apart from dust building up if the PC is setup in your home (which you could easily give a good clean once in a while), there is no other harm in not using the PC. Otherwise all boxed retro computers and consoles sold on Ebay would be useless :)

abstroose, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  4. Firegirl

Firegirl Peon

Best Answers:
    The only thing you really have to worry about here is any updates that are not being regularly applied such as Windows updates or new virus definitions that are not installed. Whenever you turn the PC on, make sure these get udpated.

You also may run into an issue with the CMOS batter, or the battery on the motherboard that basically keeps time up to date on the PC. When the PC is not receiving power regularly, these batteries will die. It's an easy fix, but be aware that you may turn your PC on and the time will be way off.

Firegirl, Dec 1, 2009 IP
    sachin410 likes this.
  5. sachin410

sachin410 Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I am not worried about updates...I can update my pc whenever I use it the next time.

how often should i switch on my pc to ensure that my batteries stay in good shape?

sachin410, Dec 2, 2009 IP
  6. Digital_shubhi

Digital_shubhi Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    May be once in a month would be good for them.
    Or if you don't want to use them then sell them. :)

- Mr.President -

Digital_shubhi, Dec 2, 2009 IP
  7. Firegirl

Firegirl Peon

Best Answers:
    I would personally recommend turning it on about once every 2 weeks or so. If you think about it, a lot of updates, etc. can happen in that time span. I have a PC that I use rarely, so when I do turn it on, I leave it on for awhile to get it updated, etc. I usually turn it on during a weekend, then go do something for a couple of hours, then turn it back off.

Firegirl, Dec 2, 2009 IP
  8. SAM_theman

SAM_theman Peon

Best Answers:
    Updates, you'll have a ton of them. Also you might want to dust the interior of the desktop just to keep all the fans in a proper circulation, you don't want a dust party inside your case.

SAM_theman, Dec 4, 2009 IP
  9. rajesh.ejob

rajesh.ejob Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No problem occurs if you completely pack it in a carton or box and fully covered with a cover so no dust would enter.. to keep up your battery alive, it is just enough to use it once a month or two months once, but it should be noted that the temperature of the place your keeping the packed system boxes. It shouldn't be more humid, but may be dry and not so hot. I have packed up my old cpu like that and kept it over shelf.

rajesh.ejob, Dec 4, 2009 IP
  10. einstein72

einstein72 Active Member

Best Answers:
    There shouldn't be any problem, remove all dust regularly and watch out for windows updates :)

einstein72, Dec 5, 2009 IP
  11. InternetBullDawg

InternetBullDawg Peon

Best Answers:
    My problem with several of my customers is that they leave it on all the time. Have one that leaves his laptop on all the time. I am sure it goes into sleep mode but the last time I worked on it the thing was getting so hot it would turn off. Customer later said he wondered why it would be turned off sometimes. :)

InternetBullDawg, Dec 5, 2009 IP
  12. NoahKhan80

NoahKhan80 Peon

Best Answers:
    It must face some hard problem if the matter is about a year. You may save it by giving it to others away or can using partly. you should use it simaltaniously---the better process.

NoahKhan80, Dec 5, 2009 IP
  13. shivshan

shivshan Active Member

Best Answers:
    There won't be any change in the performance dude.If you are planning to keep it idle for years you shd think of selling them :)

shivshan, Dec 7, 2009 IP
  14. RightMan

RightMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Electronic items are such that they remain in good shape only when used frequently. If it remains idle for too long, you are bound to have start up problems, in one form or the other.

It is best to discard it, if you do not intend to use it for months!

Regards,

RightMan

RightMan, Dec 7, 2009 IP
  15. JMel

JMel Peon

Best Answers:
    Besides the occasional cleaning and operating system update, there's no harm at all in leaving a computer off for weeks or months at a time. If you have a desktop running idle that you do not use much, I would recommend keeping it turned off while not in use, this will reduce the unneeded wear and tear on the components.

JMel, Dec 17, 2009 IP
  16. unknownpray

unknownpray Active Member

Best Answers:
    As per my knowledge there will not be any problem if you are not using your system for a long time because i have tried this i was having a pentium2 of 22 years old but it is still running when i chackde it last one month ago.

unknownpray, Jul 30, 2011 IP