1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Rankings down? Hang tight and don't change anything

Discussion in 'Google' started by Barre Tire, Dec 1, 2009.

Hi all,

I though it was important to post this before someone makes some drastic changes to their site causing your site to tank for no reason.

Typically this time of year (and it has been happening) Google tweaks it's algo for the holiday shopping season. This tends to cause sites to dissapear for no apparent reason and rankings tu fluctuate irradically. This has happened year after year since the Florida Update and if you have been around you know what I am talking about.

My advice is if your site has dropped then just hang tight, Do not make any drastic changes and your rankings will probably return after the holidays. I have seen to many people experience this and end up losing the rankings they once had just because they panicked.

Barre Tire, Dec 1, 2009 IP
    sweetfranky likes this.
  2. TorchedSEO

TorchedSEO Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree, way too many people start panicking and start making drastic design changes and try to dump a thousand links thinking it will solve the problem. Anytime my rankings have dropped they always came back within 2 weeks either in the same position that they were in and sometimes even stronger.

TorchedSEO, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  3. Dandy68

Dandy68 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree, things have a tendency to jump up and down. Don't know if it is spesific to the holiday season though? (But then I haven't been in the SEO game very long) anyone else here that can confirm this theory?

Dandy68, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  4. rastan

rastan Peon

Best Answers:
    After about 35 days my site come back for just 1 day then go away from the serps again and it's about 10 days now still not coming back... hope your right Barre Tire.

rastan, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  5. Barre Tire

Barre Tire Peon

Best Answers:

Don't worry my sites have been affected as well.. One site has been around since 2003.. Hang Tight...

6. Ryan6

Ryan6 Peon

Best Answers:
    Now has to be a better time than ever to be at the very top. There will be record sales online this year starting around this time. In regards to fluctuations, you can just never tell, they are full of surprises which was shown with the PR update recently and they have also just rolled out Caffeine. Just keep building backlinks and that content.:D

Ryan6, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  7. Barre Tire

Barre Tire Peon

Best Answers:

Caffeine has not rolled out, Just to one data center, The Caffiene rollout will be in January. http://redfoxseo.com/2009/11/google-caffeine-now-live-on-one-data-center-confirmed-by-matt-cutts/

8. Barre Tire

Barre Tire Peon

Best Answers:
  9. abdobasha2004

abdobasha2004 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I totally agree with that
    and I just blogged about it

abdobasha2004, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  10. zgerm

zgerm Peon

Best Answers:
    that's true, sit tight and wait the ranking come high again

zgerm, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  11. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Hello...

Yip agreed im not touching anything till after im sure the roll out has occurred (sometime after the holidays)
    and for whatever reason the site in question isnt ranking anymore like it used too. :)

Good advice Barre Tire ;)

thx
    M1

malcolm1, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  12. rdthewall

rdthewall Active Member

Best Answers:
    Nice advice.I was not aware of the fact that Google tweaks it's algo. for holiday seasons.

rdthewall, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  13. seosaro

seosaro Peon

Best Answers:
    Useful warning.

seosaro, Dec 2, 2009 IP
  14. BadLeia

BadLeia Peon

Best Answers:
    This is great info - I noticed some things looked funny with a couple sites and had no idea why. I never really worry about what happens with google because, it's google - and frankly, you just never know with Mother G! ;)

BadLeia, Dec 2, 2009 IP
  15. Tarakan

Tarakan Active Member

Best Answers:
    my google traffic for my site was wayyyy down since 1 week ago.. only getting yahoo and bing traffic at the moment..

Tarakan, Dec 2, 2009 IP
  16. veedee

veedee Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice tips !
    My visitors were dropped started last night, it only receives around 30% total visitor I usually got before.
    Sitelinks and outbond links are intact (site:yourdomain.com, link:yourdomain.com), website are up in countries all over the world (checked it thru: http://www.uptrends.com/aspx/free-website-server-network-monitoring-tool.aspx) .. well at least in all cities/countries listed there.. I will keep evaluating the site instead of make an excessive posting or hit the PANIC button :), and hope this is only a minor update and will get back my visitor again

veedee, Dec 3, 2009 IP
  17. Sphinks

Sphinks Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've been "down" for one year and I did not panic hehe :)

Sphinks, Dec 3, 2009 IP
    monosodium likes this.
  18. BadLeia

BadLeia Peon

Best Answers:
    it's a fun ride..... ride the google wave.. :)

BadLeia, Dec 3, 2009 IP
  19. AirForce1

AirForce1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your information and I think keeping on building backlinks from quality sources would do no harm for your sites for any purposes. :)

All the best,

AirForce1, Dec 3, 2009 IP
  20. monosodium

monosodium Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is awesome advice, I remember in the past there was some hiccup at Google's end (as we later found out) and traffic tanked at one of our sites, and we panicked and spent a lot of energy and time overhauling the site - as a result it never came back up until a few months later when we changed things back to the way they were. Sit tight and do nothing - rarely received but very good advice.

By the way, you may have noticed, the OP's status is "banned" but I want to give everyone a heads up that this is NOT a ban, just a suspension, and an unjust one at that (Barre dude gave out free coupons for MySpace advertising for the benefit of those who want to use them, then some mod decided this was an infraction of the "no invites" policy). I don't know why DP had to suspend one of the few remaining quality contributors for something minor, without double-checking, but whatever. I just wanna let you all know that the OP's status will be back to normal later today by my calculations.

monosodium, Dec 3, 2009 IP
    ing likes this.