1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

site removed from the odp

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by lunaraurora, Nov 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Pity we are not running a business that we could ruin, isn't it?

This is our HOBBY, we are NOT paid, we build categories for surfers. WE DO NOT OFFER A SERVICE FOR SITES TO BE LISTED.

Anonymously, Nov 25, 2009 IP
  2. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What truly is a pity is that you believe that... If you (the ODP) thought otherwise then the ODP may still be on top (NOTE: bigger does not mean better)

DMOZ does not really offer ANYTHING do they?

No communication, no feedback, no cares for the end user, guidelines that are touted, but not followed... what does the ODP offer anyone other then the link collector? The ODP was supposedly founded on helping people around the net and NOT the egos of it's editors... but then, the key there is supposedly right?

Seriously, you said a few posts back that suggesting communicating with the end user was not a useful comment... what does that say about what the ODP offers to ANYONE?

Qryztufre, Nov 25, 2009 IP
  3. WECpoker

WECpoker Peon

Best Answers:
    I see there are some deep seated feelings on this topic. At least I learned something from the encounter, and that there is a group of people also strongly opposed to the way ODP is run.

Alot more then I knew prior to reading and posting in this thread. Thank You for your input.

WECpoker, Nov 26, 2009 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  4. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    I am happy about that. Those who want change are usually people who don't understand or refuse to understand how DMOZ is set up and what our values are. Mostly they want to be able to get listed for the value it gives them. Some of the others are just people with an axe to grind who are willing to not understand to suit their purposes.

As editors we post to try and inform people of what we are and what we are likely to be. Qryztufre was an editor long enough to list his own site and a couple of others, but has no real long term experience.

Many of us who have been there a long time would now walk if anyone tries to make this into a money making exercise that sought to become another directory accepting paid listings. Google has always valued DMOZ because we have scant respect for high PR flashy sites etc and our view is not at webmasters but to produce what we would like to see if we were surfing in an area. As such we use our knowledge to build categories, some with poorly built sites but that offer unique information on that particular subject. As such many areas do not get as well tended as others because editors don't want to trawl through the get rich quick sites, we want to work in areas that we have an interest and skill. That is not the directory that many webmasters want, it is the one we as editors want and for many years it happens to be the one Google wants too, though we have no influence over that continuing decision.

Anonymously, Nov 26, 2009 IP
  5. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    He is joking, nobody is that stupid. ;)

Most likely Anonymously is very active on freelance sites soliciting business and he is only here to keep the price of DMOZ listings up Otherwise why does he need to post "Anonymously"? ;):rolleyes:

gworld, Nov 26, 2009 IP
  6. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The usual garbage and insulting response, which is basically what we have come to expect from you.

And people wonder why we are reluctant to communicate with webmasters suggesting sites? All we would get is the garbage, lies and "hearsay" that you keep repeating.

snooks, Nov 26, 2009 IP
  7. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Last I checked, the guidelines were public...so, erm, what does that have to do with ANYTHING? I have enough experience to know that listing my own site is WELL within the guidelines (in fact, I have the experience to know that the ODP was even FOUNDED on listing ones own sites! AOL supports the practice from the top down!). You seem to keep going on about me listing my own site, so maybe, just maybe you are doing nothing but proving yourself silly? Seriously, in my short stint as an editor did I break any rules?

As far as I can tell, you are not, and have NEVER been an editor. So if you want to talk about experience, well, my short time trumps your NO TIME!

Qryztufre, Nov 28, 2009 IP
  8. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Yes the guidelines are public, but I seem to recall you pointing people to them, there is a stickie at the top, but we keep getting asked questions and whilst we can always say read the stickie or read the guidelines, we try and answer from our knowledge of the guidelines and the experience we have as editors.

Anonymously, Nov 29, 2009 IP
  9. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That sticky is totally worthless which makes you wonder how did it become a sticky? It is more of a stinky. ;):rolleyes:

gworld, Nov 29, 2009 IP
  10. caprichoso

caprichoso Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That post became a sticky for the same reason his author knows who places reputation to his profile. When normal users in this forum are unable to get that information.
    Furthermore, when he get's angry with people speaking the truth about DMOZ he uses to insult using reputation comment. I guess nobody here will dare to do that without a friend among moderators. :)

gwolrd, I guess you were talking about things like these. If I'm wrong just let me know.

Anonymously: in the first place you shouldn't bother answering DMOZ stuff. You're not DMOZ editor after all. And for real DMOZ editors, well they keep answering same thing all the time. People keep asking because guidelines and editors explanations are empty. What happens in DMOZ actually, can't be explained with those answers and guidelines. People knows something is hiding behind DMOZ faccade, that's why they keep asking questions.

caprichoso, Nov 29, 2009 IP
  11. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    It's disturbing when peoples repeat same things over and over ? how we feel when we are reading same garbage of deceptive advertising since years from you guys ?

trustnobodynever, Nov 29, 2009 IP
  12. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Please note that YOU said AND.

So if I am posting from my experiences from the guidelines, what was the point of such a statement?

AND, from all accounts, I've seen NO proof of you even being an editor...

Qryztufre, Nov 30, 2009 IP
  13. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    LOL keep em coming like that.

Anonymously, Nov 30, 2009 IP
  14. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    I'll bring this up the next time you are expecting proof of anything.

What is good for the goose is good for the gander...if you expect people to provide any type of proof, then what are you willing to do?

Qryztufre, Nov 30, 2009 IP
  15. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Since snooks keeps kissing his a*s, that can be taken as partial proof that he is a senior editor. ;) But it is still not conclusive evidance.

gworld, Nov 30, 2009 IP
  16. bazertro

bazertro Peon

Best Answers:
    my site was, and I still don't know the reason

bazertro, Jan 31, 2010 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.