1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google warns against comment spamming for ranking

Discussion in 'Google' started by soopoot, Nov 26, 2009.

Many people have jumped on the bandwagon of comment spamming in an attempt to raise up their ranking in google and while the search engines are not fully capable to devaluing all the spam, they are working towards elimination of comment spamming and penalisation of sites to which the links point to.

It might be the end of high pr blog commenting as people will see less and less value in these links and for people who have seen their sites penalised, they are asked to get rid of the spammed comments and request a reconsideration in GWT.

Official source: http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2009/11/hard-facts-about-comment-spam.html

soopoot, Nov 26, 2009 IP
  2. Nystul

Nystul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    comment spammers are getting so smart these days, as for me, i will always manually remove their links from the comments!

Nystul, Nov 26, 2009 IP
  3. Oranges

Oranges Active Member

Best Answers:
    Bad Bad News for Dofollow comment spammers, Actually its a good move to improve the web, but
    For link builders its going to be a huge headache.

Oranges, Nov 26, 2009 IP
  4. soopoot

soopoot Member

Best Answers:
    Well even if comment spammers manage to drop their links on your site, the links wouldn't count so it would be a waste of time and they can even be penalised for link dropping. Google says they can distinguish between these spam comment links from their link graph :)

soopoot, Nov 26, 2009 IP
  5. tattoos

tattoos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Whats to stop someone from comment spamming their competitors site to get them penalized?

I doubt Google would be silly enough make it that easy to take out a competitor.

Cheers
    James

tattoos, Nov 26, 2009 IP
  6. elusivemusic

elusivemusic Peon

Best Answers:
    Google never penalises sites for off-page SEO.. cause it's technically "out of your hands" what happens on the rest of the internet.

elusivemusic, Nov 26, 2009 IP
  7. Oranges

Oranges Active Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly, and i believe that too, as its simply not in your hand to control inbound links.

Oranges, Nov 26, 2009 IP
  8. soopoot

soopoot Member

Best Answers:
    Have a look at the blog post from GoogleWebmasterCentral and you'll see for yourself that they said if your site has been penalised because of comment spamming, remove them first and file a reconsideration request. This surely means you get penalised for excessive off page optimisation... but i dont work for google now... so i dont know how they tackle competitors trying to get you banned...

soopoot, Nov 26, 2009 IP
  9. tattoos

tattoos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    They do not mention being "penalized because of comment spamming" at all...

They say,
    Cheers
    James

tattoos, Nov 26, 2009 IP
  10. Vebtools

Vebtools Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thats good news atleas no need to put daily hundreds of comment to spams

Vebtools, Nov 26, 2009 IP
  11. karenkeng

karenkeng Peon

Best Answers:
    This is kinda good and bad news for everyone because good there is no more spammers bad the money makers who want to increase there ranks in serps will be gone

karenkeng, Nov 26, 2009 IP
  12. chevchelios

chevchelios Active Member

Best Answers:
    Anyway, backlinks from comment spamming weren't to valuable only if that post was related to your website.

chevchelios, Nov 26, 2009 IP
  13. peepin2me

peepin2me Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    But isn't a reconsideration request only made when your site has been penalized?

peepin2me, Nov 26, 2009 IP
  14. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Not if you didn't rely on comment spamming to begin with.

dcristo, Nov 26, 2009 IP
  15. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Its basically saying if your blog is seeing lots of spam comments the obvious kind we all know what they are.....then you should filter the spam links.

If you use wordpress then you should use the Askimet plug in to automatically detect link spam.

Comments in blogs are a different thing all together, and Google cannot logically discount these, as it is counter intuitive to the current web3.0 course of open communication by consumers.....to brands...... via / websites / blogs / forums / social networks and sms ;)

Remember Google is the largest civilian propaganda machine known to man.

Sem-Advance, Nov 26, 2009 IP
  16. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Thank goodness for that! I recently bought a few blogs and the amount of spam i received was beyond belief. (wordpress blogs)
    It didnt matter that they had to register to comment nor the fact that they where no follow with zero PR that they still spam you.
    Im thankful that this is finally over for bloggers or astleast many will now stop there madness :)

laterz
    malcolm

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
    malcolm1, Nov 26, 2009 IP
  17. mdvasanth86

mdvasanth86 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    mdvasanth86, Nov 26, 2009 IP
  18. soopoot

soopoot Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly! It would naive to think that google will not penalise a website doing any tricks to raise their organic rankings. It says clearly in their statement that their link graphs give them the ability to identity patterns where webmasters are trying to manipulate the SERPs.

Regarding competitors trying to ban you, if someone was doing off page optimisation for their site, it would mostly be done to deeper pages of their site and if google sees that most links are coming from spam comments (or other spam sources), then they could penalise you. I doubt a competitor will go through the trouble of creating spam links for you for all of your sub pages but will rather stick to the a couple of pages where he would like to see you outrank. Does it make sense?

soopoot, Nov 26, 2009 IP
  19. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Lmao... yea i guess alot of people in the DP services section will be rather upset now :D
    (1000 blog link/comments $4 dollars) or high PR blog links for sell cheap (guaranteed high PR6 -7 comments)
    ...Game Over :eek:

laterz
    malcolm

malcolm1, Nov 26, 2009 IP
  20. Oranges

Oranges Active Member

Best Answers:
    Absolutely!! But dofollow commenting is been a good source for quick ranking. Checkout those Goarticles's articles ranking high for pretty damn competitive keywords, and then follow their back links, you'll find that those all are dofollow comment links.

Oranges, Nov 26, 2009 IP