1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

internal links bleed pr

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by klown, Aug 20, 2006.

i'm thinking internal links bleed pr. big sites that link to themselves must give pr (or ranking for you guys who say screw pr). For instance lets say i have a PR 10 site (yeah.. right) and i on my main menu i like to a contact us page. That contact us page should get a pretty damn good ranking just because im linkign there.

What do you think about the importance of internal linking and its affect on serps. Not talking about bad links etc.

klown, Aug 20, 2006 IP
  2. leo

leo Peon

Best Answers:
    I never observed any bleeding of the kind you are afraid of.

On the contrary, by internal linking KW "XYZ" from a page, where it appears more or less randomly in the text, to a page, which is deliberately devoted to subject "XYZ", you are in a position to direct intelligently weight from a page, where you don't want people to drop in when searching for "XYZ", to the page, where you do want them to find this subject. Consequently doing precisely that will focus all PR you have to this particular page. You may check this by doing all the necessary internal linking and then observing G! "homeing in" more and more every day to this page - i.e. its ranking will improve until a stable rank is achieved after a few days.

Regards

leo, Aug 20, 2006 IP
  3. evolving

evolving Peon

Best Answers:
    personnally i think they use nofollow tags
    not sure though

evolving, Aug 20, 2006 IP
  4. brandondrury

brandondrury Peon

Best Answers:
    On their own sites????? That sounds ridiculous to me.

Maybe I misunderstood something.

Brandon

brandondrury, Aug 20, 2006 IP
  5. evolving

evolving Peon

Best Answers:
    there are certain pages that do not need to be refered , like contact us or about us ,
    so if you type in google contact us and you fall on their website what is it use of it???
    some pages are a necessity but only to your visitors and not to googlers
    for that a nofollow tag will do the job and prevent pr loosing

evolving, Aug 20, 2006 IP
  6. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    a no follow in their own site? Are you on crack?

ahkip, Aug 21, 2006 IP
  7. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well, the *use* of it would be a direct link to ummm 'contact' them, which would be a good thing. I didn't want to hit the about us page while searching for the contact page, so i don't think they use no follows. Your analogy is a bad one. Especially with a page as important as contact.

an0n, Aug 21, 2006 IP
  8. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    Plenty of sites use nofollow links for internal links to pages they don't want to be spidered. Check the source of this page for proof.

Internal linking does pass PR and is vitally important for rankings.

mad4, Aug 21, 2006 IP
  9. evolving

evolving Peon

Best Answers:
    thank you for clearing things out and prooving my point of view

evolving, Aug 21, 2006 IP
  10. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i though most ppl use robots.txt if they don't want page to be crawl..guess i need to read more source :D

ahkip, Aug 21, 2006 IP
  11. sgorman

sgorman Active Member

Best Answers:
    PR seepage?

If youi have enough pages, then you'll have landing pages for various topics.
    You sell ice cream... You have a chocolate page, a vanilla page and maybe a neopolitan page. You don't want people to land on your home page if they have typed "Vanilla ice cream" into the SE, do you?

No. So you craft your site so that the user has a good experience AND so that the spider can crawl easily.
    You will use links to get down the tree, but people will link to the interesting bits at the bottom of the tree: ie the page about the deliciousness that is your ice cream, not the home page. (unless they really don't like you "Found a really interesting article on chocolate ice cream. Go here: www.fictionalwebsiteabouticecream.co.uk and find it yourself.")

So your home page and the landing pages naturally attract links and you need to spread the love through any other pages. This is really easy to do through breadcrumbs - which, co-incidentally, are great for good user experiance.

Who cares whether or not your main pages have a good PR? Who cares whether or not these pages hemorrhage pr?
    Do people link to your site? Do people get to your site? Do people stay at your site?
    If any of these are NO... Then you need to do something about it. If you have a PR of 9, you are trying to sell stuff and no-one is buying, then PR be damned - your site isn't good.

sgorman, Aug 21, 2006 IP
    Cryogenius likes this.
  12. Cryogenius

Cryogenius Peon

Best Answers:
    Well said, sgorman!

Cryogenius, Aug 21, 2006 IP
    sgorman likes this.
  13. klown

klown Peon

Best Answers:
    damn right about the landing pages, my company has a seperate landing page for each type of insurance (that we offer), and about 15 differerent countries.. I guarantee that these lead to much higher conversion rates.

klown, Aug 21, 2006 IP