1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SEOptimisation of Website

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by HiroNakamura, Nov 12, 2009.

I just need all help and advice I can get from digital point seo masters here. I would like to better understand how to optimise an ecommerce website and have a few questions to ask.

Here's my questions:

I'm thinking on commenting on other websites using appropriate keywords.
    If you have a website selling Party Supplies:

1. Is it best to link to your homepage using a single keyword/phrase each time you comment on a blogs/websites/forum. I just feel that this way you can strengthen your authority on a particular keyword.

2. Or is it more appropriate to use a diffent keyword/keyphrase for each blog/forum you want to comment on. With this I thought it's a bit more natural.
    But up to how many variations would you recommend?

party bags
    party supplies
    party bags for sale
    etc....

3.Would you then use the above keywords as your meta title and meta keyword?

4. In your opinion, what is the maximum keywords would you use on the meta title/ meta keywords / meta description for better seo?

If you have a btter suggestion, would appreciate it greatly.

Many Thanks in Advance

HiroNakamura, Nov 12, 2009 IP
  2. webwest

webwest Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd use different signature links / keywords and link (ie) "party bags" to your party bags category, not the homepage. Use the respective keyword in your category page title and meta description and you can put it in the meta keywords but meta keywords are pretty much not used today ...

The less keywords on a page, the better. I wouldn't go over 4 or 5 keywords max per page - 1 is best if you can pull it off.

webwest, Nov 12, 2009 IP
  3. HiroNakamura

HiroNakamura Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much indeed webwest.

Would you recommend that the Homepage is only optimised for the domain name and one keyword/keyphrase? And then work on the other keywords using categores and actual product?

What do you think about using news article integrated to the e-commerce website for other near similar keywords rather than being stuffed in a single product or category.

4. webwest

webwest Peon

Best Answers:
    It's hard to say since I don't know anything about what you sell as far as keywords for the homepage. Maybe do an overview with a few products targeted on the homepage. Definitely just target specific keywords on respective categories and products. Having a blog (news) is good but don't keyword stuff.

webwest, Nov 12, 2009 IP
  5. HiroNakamura

HiroNakamura Member

Best Answers:
    I already mentioned Kids and adults party supplies and party bags :)

Re: blog

I won't keyword stuff it but is it alright though if you blog about anything related to parties? Any ideas what kind of blogs articles can be published? Is blogging about american idol result to irrelevant? If it is, can you cite other things that can be possibly blogged about.

Thanks.

6. gbancrig

gbancrig Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it deserves to be mentioned that once you start building links, do not, under any circumstances, stop building links continually (unless of course your site takes off and it continues to get links without you doing anything).

gbancrig, Nov 12, 2009 IP
  7. webwest

webwest Peon

Best Answers:
    Talking about parties in general would be good and slip in a link to a product or 2 here and there that would make parties better or more fun. If it reads naturally, it should be good. If it sounds spammy or has a million links, no good. Use rich anchor text in the links.

Blogging about having an american idol watching party should be good since I'm sure there are many of those. But blogging about the show without talking about what you need (your products) for a great AI party probably won't get you anywhere.

webwest, Nov 12, 2009 IP
  8. HiroNakamura

HiroNakamura Member

Best Answers:
    Just a thought. If you only have time to blog once a week (with a single keyoword/keyphrase anchor link to one of my e-commerce product), is it best to blog on the actual e-commerce site or on a completely separate domain?

9. webwest

webwest Peon

Best Answers:
    Same domain name - build a reputation on your ecommerce domain, not some other domain.

webwest, Nov 12, 2009 IP
  10. HiroNakamura

HiroNakamura Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much indeed.

So build internal links, through the use of blogging.

Also, it's a built in news article system and not the wordpress type. However, it uses the actual title on the url and I'm able to key in meta description as well as meta keywords (which I appreciate is possibly ignored by google anyway).

11. webwest

webwest Peon

Best Answers:
    yes

meta keywords aren't used much but I normally put in a few anyway. Meta description will probably be used by Google - I'd definitely put on in. :)

webwest, Nov 12, 2009 IP
  12. sajidmm

sajidmm Peon

Best Answers:
    don't do comments with just one keyword. use variations.
    Forget meta keywords etc..... Do good title that cover all possible keywords in one good sentence.

sajidmm, Nov 12, 2009 IP
  13. HiroNakamura

HiroNakamura Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you.

14. HiroNakamura

HiroNakamura Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry, just needed to ask one more question re: blogging on my e-commerce website.

If I am to blog about American Idol and the likes, is it alright if I use the names of the program, contestants or issues (winnner, eliminated etc...) about them as my Blog title but ensure that the anchor link is a keyword/keyphrase relevant to party supplies? Or does the title need to be somewhat related to party bags and supplies?

15. webwest

webwest Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't THINK there would be any problem mentioning people's names etc but just do that in passing - don't link Simon Cowell's name to one of your products and say he has it. (unless he does and then make a special testimonial and promote it! :) )

Using a blog title like "Must have party supplies for an American Idol viewing party" should be fine. "American Idol Party supplies" - not sure if I'd do that. You want to tell people they should have an American Idol viewing party and to buy your products to use AT it, not try to try to sell things just using the American Idol program and people's names ...

webwest, Nov 12, 2009 IP
  16. HiroNakamura

HiroNakamura Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry webwest. I think I wasn't clear about my question. Under no circumstances would I ever attempt to pass off. What I was trying to get at is:

Would a title like - Kris Allen is the Winner of American idol be appropriate?

If somewhere in the content, keyword "party supplies" is mentioned, in a manner that it doesn't appear to be spammy.

Or would the keyword have more weight if the actual title of the blog article contain the keyword as well.

Thank you very much for patiently answering all my questions. Appreciate it a lot.

17. webwest

webwest Peon

Best Answers:
    No - that title doesn't have a keyword (product) in it so it's not going to do you any good in selling a product.

Having the keyword in your title is SEO 1st day 1st 5 minutes stuff - YES!

webwest, Nov 12, 2009 IP
  18. kimperino1985

kimperino1985 Peon

Best Answers:
    Comment spamming and signatures wont help you much. If you could create permanent links by contacting the relevant vendors that will help you in the long run.

kimperino1985, Nov 12, 2009 IP
  19. Traffic-Bug

Traffic-Bug Active Member

Best Answers:
    Answers:
    1 - Yes, same keyword phrase will probably strengthen the 'count' taken by search engine for this 'anchor phrase', the more the better.

2- For human visitors, this is also definitely an idea, human visitors like variety of wordings in the anchor text. It is good for search engine also, but remember you are 'spreading out' the strength count of particular keyword phrases.
    For example
    what was
    party bags supplies - 50 items that link with this text
    will now become
    party bags - 20 items
    party supplies - 10 items
    supplies for parties - 5 items
    and so on and so forth...

Traffic-Bug, Nov 12, 2009 IP