1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Getafreelancer (Freelancer.com, GAF) Rip Off

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by qwertyuiop[, Nov 9, 2009.

My problem is the following:

Namely, www.getafreelancer.com is in the habit of suspending accounts when they have money in them. This has recently happened to me (I have $3.000.00 on the account at the moment i am writing this) and I am aware of others that have gone through the same problem. In addition to this they will ask for ID of proof of Country. When you provide them with the pertinent information where they can see the ID clearly but not to the point where it can be duplicated they want more. This doesn’t make any sense if its just for proof of country.
    This is obviously something that this Company has been getting away with for some time. They are holding money not only in peoples personal accounts of money they have earned, but also in escrow.
    Its time that people take a legal action. You can start by laying a complaint with the internet crime complaint center. There are also other legal sites listed on the internet as well that you can lodge a complaint with.

Strongly recommended!

Please stay away from this company and their site www.getafreelancer.com.
    Always deal with people whose addresses are real, customer service real and you can get a live person on the phone.
    Yeah, that’s true that GAF has not phone number to be called. It sucks, isn't it?
    They have a LIVE SUPPORT button on their site but all it does is take you to their email form so their support is not live particularly when they take days on end to answer, if they bother to answer at all.

qwertyuiop[, Nov 9, 2009 IP
  2. markk600

markk600 Member

Best Answers:
    I totally agree. I dont really recommend them. I hire workers on a secret site instead. Workers there are great and cheap as hell

markk600, Nov 9, 2009 IP
  3. qwertyuiop[

qwertyuiop[ Peon

Best Answers:
    what the secret actually stands for? Any specific website? Please post the link if there is such. Thanks

4. qwertyuiop[

qwertyuiop[ Peon

Best Answers:
    By the way, do you know more websites like ripoffreport.com and digitalpoint where i can spread the word about this company? Please share them with me if you know any. Thanks

5. DubDubDubDot

DubDubDubDot Peon

Best Answers:
    They are just taking the necessary precautions to protect their users from scammers. If you say you are from a certain country, you should have no problem verifying that.

DubDubDubDot, Nov 9, 2009 IP
  6. scotsmarc

scotsmarc Member

Best Answers:
    What information did they ask you for? And what did you provide them with? Is this something they can do in theirs T's and C's or something that is not mentioned. Also is this your first transaction with them?

scotsmarc, Nov 9, 2009 IP
  7. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    I never used that site before. Is it set up as sort of a "Go Between" ?
    IOW, when you get a job through them, you don't get paid directly from the client ?
    The Client pays GAF and then Get a Freelancer pays you ?

Is that how it works ?

hmansfield, Nov 9, 2009 IP
  8. qwertyuiop[

qwertyuiop[ Peon

Best Answers:
    Correct, but this is already 4th time that i am verifying that. Usually it was taking 2-3 days but this time it has gone too far. They hold my money for 10 days already. That's a crime my friend if you didn't know. :)

9. DubDubDubDot

DubDubDubDot Peon

Best Answers:
    A crime? Doubtful. Go read the TOS. I'm sure there is something in there.

10. qwertyuiop[

qwertyuiop[ Peon

Best Answers:
    I have read it 50 times and of course they would NOT claim it as crime in their own TOS. :)
    But according any law it's not a legal action (holding peoples money without reason).

11. MatrixGodFather

MatrixGodFather Peon

Best Answers:
    ya i have hired a couple people from GAF nedless to say i did more my own then they ever did which is sad to say live and learn i guess but still sucks

MatrixGodFather, Nov 9, 2009 IP
  12. DubDubDubDot

DubDubDubDot Peon

Best Answers:
    They aren't holding it without reason. They hold it on suspicion of fraud.

What law are you referring to that doesn't allow them to do this?

Why are you having difficultly sending documentation that simply proves what country you live in?

Did you lie to them and now can't back it up?

13. gvannorman

gvannorman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I actually used to use GAF to find work. I have since moved to DP forums completly. It seems that this site is more secure and I have less problems. I offer my clients to pay for my services either through paypal or moneybookers.

GAF requires you to have a min amount for withdraw. This does not help much when your not making hundreds daily through them. Not only that from what I have read on here and other sites it seems that if you were making hundreds they would probably freeze your account and keep your money. So, scam site....good thing your warning others before they get scammed.

thank you

gvannorman, Nov 9, 2009 IP
  14. qwertyuiop[

qwertyuiop[ Peon

Best Answers:
    It's ok that you defend them but if you are seriously interested to know the truth please read the original post more carefully and you will find your answers.

I have sent everything that they asked me to send. Since then i have heard nothing from them. They keep me in the dark and feed me nothing but **** Btw, they still HOLD my money. You got that now?

In addition what for god's sake you can lie to them? I cannot think of any reason why one would lie. By default it should be very simple system. You hire people, they do the job and get paid for that. Where you see the opportunity to lie and why?

They are criminals, trust me! Stay away from them no matter what. Getafreelancer is scam and it sucks!@

qwertyuiop[, Nov 10, 2009 IP
  15. mrockz619

mrockz619 Peon

Best Answers:
    Totally true , they ask for many proofs before paying , still providing them with many proofs they r unsatisfied and they ban our a/cs.

+1 stay away frm them

mrockz619, Nov 10, 2009 IP
  16. qwertyuiop[

qwertyuiop[ Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are still suspicious then please answer this pretty simple question:

- WHY GETAFREELANCER.COM DOES NOT HAVE A LIVE SUPPORT AND PHONE NUMBER ???

qwertyuiop[, Nov 10, 2009 IP
  17. moneymack

moneymack Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for the post
    hope you get your money back..

moneymack, Nov 11, 2009 IP
  18. ilook

ilook Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    try odesk guys.
    might be a good alternative.

ilook, Nov 11, 2009 IP
  19. farain

farain Peon

Best Answers:
    thats the 1st complaint I have ever heard about GAF...............But to me GAF is always been a good place to stay and I hope it remains the smme

farain, Nov 11, 2009 IP
  20. DubDubDubDot

DubDubDubDot Peon

Best Answers:
    People from developing nations tend to sign up claiming to be from the west, get a job and then sell stolen work.

It goes on right here on DP in the buy & sell section. Tons of people in there claiming to be from the US as a way to land writing jobs. When in reality their English is pretty bad. So the articles either suck or are plagiarized in full or part.

As for holding the money in escrow, they probably fear that the buyer has used a stolen CC. Holding the cash gives the CC owner enough time to report the usage before the money is paid out of escrow.

The bottom line here is that if you live in certain countries, you just have to put up with extra BS due to what scammers in your country have done. That's just the way it is and it's a small price to pay for the luxury that the internet has created of being able to tap into western world money.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
    DubDubDubDot, Nov 11, 2009 IP