1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dmoz Has 10,000+ Dead Links

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Jin, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If it's our toy, why are you bothering to criticise?

Yes we do follow policy and policy is that we have a human edited directory and sites are not abandoned unless by an editor who has checked for a replacement.

Remember we do not claim to be a listing service, we build categories, we build them by hand and we do it at the pace of any time offered by volunteers and we allow volunteers to work at what they wish. So I don't have to work on these dead sites at all, but they will stay around, like the suggestions in the suggestions pool, until they are reviewed. It is my choice to work on them and to work on the suggestions pool and when I chose to list sites from outside it is my choice to work that way.

One day webmasters will wise up to the fact that we are telling them the facts when we say that we are volunteers, we work in our spare time, we do the work for no financial reward, it is our hobby and we have no concern about if any good is done to web sites we list, we just hope they are useful to people who want to search the web using the largest human edited directory on the net.

Anonymously, Nov 6, 2009 IP
    syted likes this.
  2. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    LOL. :D

The pigs fly too. :rolleyes:

gworld, Nov 6, 2009 IP
  3. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You obviously arent the "smartest tool in the shed".

Apparently when people dont do what you want it's absurd....Boy oh boy, I wont get to sleep tonight because i know how unhappy you are with our hobbie:rolleyes:

snooks, Nov 6, 2009 IP
  4. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I quoted those in order... it really looks to me like you are reading posts that are not there, as I posted, you replied, NEW said something, then you replied to me again. You truly have a beautiful mind. So is it really me that needs a doctor? After all, it's not my fault that the ODP search function is broken.... so if you want to on about "duff information" why not point the finger at that... the search function that is showing the tens of thousands of sites that are really not there. :rolleyes:

Qryztufre, Nov 7, 2009 IP
  5. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wow Q.

Todays trolling pushed your Post count up by 6 in just a matter of minutes. Didnt really provide any useful information, but you will probably still be delighted :)

snooks, Nov 7, 2009 IP
  6. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    WOW... at least I was talking about the topic of the forum to up my post count, and not just another members post count. Says a lot for your posts today doesn't it?

And again we see how the editors of the ODP work.. when you can't attack the post, attack the poster!

TROLLING AT IT'S FINEST!

Qryztufre, Nov 7, 2009 IP
  7. Astroman

Astroman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I thought DMOZ had hanger-fulls of dead links anyway, what's a few thousand more here or there?

Astroman, Nov 7, 2009 IP
  8. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Search is not broken, it has never been any different, it cannot operate in the live directory, any person who has been an editor would know that, unless they bunked off before they had learnt anything or had memory failure. Which editor did you also thank? Whoops..

Anonymously, Nov 7, 2009 IP
  9. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    LOL. This logic can only come from someone who is associated with DMOZ. :rolleyes:

gworld, Nov 8, 2009 IP
  10. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    That's right,... it's NOT broken. It's SUPPOSED to be misleading and completely and totally WRONG. It's not a bug, it's a feature :rolleyes:

No wonder you post Anonymously

Qryztufre, Nov 8, 2009 IP
  11. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    But you said it was broken, now it's not broken, and you always know everything about the directory, editing and listing, it comes from your vast editing experience.

Anonymously, Nov 8, 2009 IP
  12. goliath

goliath Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, I see my decision to ignore DMOZ completely was probably justified. I don't pay much attention to it but the geocities thing got my attention.

So, let me get this straight, you never delete anything, you re-target links rather than remove dead sites, and your search function has never worked in the live directory? DMOZ is still running on text files?

AND your pool of suggestions sits for months (years?) ignored while you spend your time trying to find "replacements" for dead content sites you already have links to?

Knowing that it's a bunch of hobbyists barely keeping it alive explains a lot but damn, what a waste of everyone's time. No wonder DMOZ holds a place about equal to webcrawler in so many surfers' lists of "important sites".

Not to mention the attitude of the editors here. If you could give a shit about webmaster's concerns (and clearly that's all some of you give) why in the hell are you here posting on a webmaster forum?

The dichotomy of the troll, or the clown who wants to be loved as a DMOZ editor but then shits all over themselves when someone points out that your hobby is becoming more and more useless in the real world. As near as I can tell you guys are saying that the ODP is not really for webmasters. You talk about it being "for the surfers" but apparently it's broken, and isn't providing much to the surfers either. So what does it do?

Have fun wanking yourself into the annals of history. DMOZ was a relic when I started creating websites in 2005, and it's not getting any more relevant with whatever you folks are doing over there. Which apparently consists of surfing a bunch of dead links and wishing that everyone else would JUST UNDERSTAND how valuable you and your hobby really, truly are.

I can't even believe how disgusted I got over this, what a waste of time.

goliath, Nov 9, 2009 IP
    gworld and Ivan Bajlo like this.
  13. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    No dear, YOU said it was not broken *sigh* I was only trying to say what you said... but it seems that when I do that YOU still say I am wrong. Funny that... the way of the troll.

Mind telling us of YOUR vast editing experience? I see NO PROOF you are even an editor! I have proof I was, so yeah... I speak from experience... where as you seemingly are posting from some void.

Qryztufre, Nov 9, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  14. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Well each editor is in charge of 54 sites... It's a HUGE work load!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mia, Nov 13, 2009 IP
  15. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Well you spend your free time doing it instead of critising, that might be useful. But just to inform you here as elsewhere the number of editors at the top of the directory includes every editor who ever worked on the project, pst it even includes our Qryztufre and his 6 sites.

Anonymously, Nov 13, 2009 IP
  16. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    You mean he should become editor so you could remove him and claim he was found out about something which nobody outside meta circle isn't allowed to know? :p

I bet DMOZ could have kept most of those editors active if they actually wanted but lowering editor numbers until only metas remain seems to be main goal at DMOZ. :rolleyes:

Ivan Bajlo, Nov 15, 2009 IP
  17. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I was removed for actually doing work. Removing shit that did not belong, adding stuff that did, and moving crap to more appropriate locations.

The best I can liken the work load and structure of responsibility at DMOZ is to compare it to a union.

When I was in college I worked for the University part time as a painter. I did a good job, was neat and fast. So fast and neat in fact that I was urged on more than one occasion to slow down. When that urging motivated me to do a better job and work faster I found myself being given a larger incentive to do the opposite. From verbal threats to physical ones, until finally my work was sabotaged and I was out of work.

You see, I was making my union brothers look lazy. Troof be told, they were lazy and I was just one step above them in terms of my work ethic.

The reality is, there are only a handful. By handful I mean about 1/2 dozen. And it shows.

Mia, Nov 16, 2009 IP
  18. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

Thanks again for once again pointing out one of the MANY flaws in the ODP, as it is clear that it still lists ME as an editor, but it's also does not list you.

So *shrug* I guess the numbers there ARE working out in the end ;)

Qryztufre, Nov 16, 2009 IP
  19. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have always thought of DMOZ as an over rated waste of time, reading this thread makes me think it is even more so.

Really who uses DMOZ for anything but backlink purposes? I need to find a auto repair shop Google sucks just use DMOZ?

Forget deleting the geocites links just delete the entire DMOZ database.. then you editors can go out and get another "hobby" and you don't have to tirelessly work for the ungrateful public day after day and night after night..

Sorry I know you guys do all this "work" and get no thanks but I don't have a dead geocites site so I have nothing to praise you about. lol

averyz, Nov 16, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  20. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    You had me at "over rated".
    :D

Mia, Nov 16, 2009 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.