1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why Reputation is not moderated??

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by bluebelt91, Nov 5, 2009.

Hi,

This is a general question about reputation.I found a thread where one member was abusing one specific country and was saying this country should be banned.I don't like this idea as we should not be racist to any country and good and bad people are everywhere in the world.I reported this post of mods and also given negative rep to that member.
    In return that member also given me -ve rep.

[​IMG]

In DP we have a rule not to use abusive language with any member.. now who will take action on this member for using such language???
    Or I want to know whether it is common in DP??

I asked it to mods and they said they can't do anything about reps.
    My question is then what is the use of negative rep, if you give it to somebody then he will give you one???
    its better to have only +ve rep as you will give it to someone and he will give you one.

bluebelt91, Nov 5, 2009 IP
    Toon-c likes this.
  2. ChrisMiller

ChrisMiller Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    ChrisMiller, Nov 5, 2009 IP
  3. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think I know who gave it to you and that member should be banned from the forums forever.

Just another reason why rep should be done away with or atleast made unanonymous.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
    Helvetii, Nov 5, 2009 IP
  4. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You gave negative rep. You got negative rep. That's just life. If you don't want to get negative rep, stay out of the politically-oriented discussions (they're a hotbed for negative comments). You can give rep for anything you want. You didn't like what they said, so you did. They obviously didn't like what you said so they left negative too. Yes, the language is inappropriate, but it's an unmoderated area. Mods don't even see your rep. You only see the last five. If it bothers you too much, minimize that section in your usercp until you have 5 other reps in the window.

jhmattern, Nov 6, 2009 IP
  5. bluebelt91

bluebelt91 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have no problem in having negative rep.. But the unfortunate thing is there is no way to stop him.. whatever he want he will say and we should listen quietly and stay out. This thing only will encourage him and he will continue this.I can only hope mods will add some new rules in DP to handle such abuse..

bluebelt91, Nov 6, 2009 IP
  6. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Exactly. He can say whatever he wants to say in rep comments. So can you. It's far better that they remain in rep comments than be posted publicly in threads, and you already have a way to be rid of it if you don't like seeing it -- just minimize it. Moderating rep doesn't make sense. Not only do we not have enough staff to add that, but mods currently cannot see your rep or who left it anyway. On top of that, only 5 rep comments are kept. Therefore, by the time a report comes in and a mod can actually look at it, it could be gone already anyway.

7. MhW

MhW Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm slightly confused as to how he knew it was you that gave him -rep.
    Unless you PMed the User saying you've -repped them, left your name in the -rep comment or posted in the topic saying that you've -repped them then they would have no way of finding out it was you *shrug*. If you did let him know it was you that -repped him..then as jhmattern said...what goes around comes around.

As for the "abusive language" in the rep comment, I fail to see what the big problem is. At the end of the day if you hadn't made it so obvious you -repped him in the first place, you wouldn't be on the receiving end of the abuse.

MhW, Nov 6, 2009 IP
  8. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Is that an encouragement for such behavior?

Helvetii, Nov 6, 2009 IP
  9. sachin410

sachin410 Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    what if someone threatens me using rep feature?

what if someone uses rep to make sexually-explicit comments to the younger members of the forum?

will mods still refuse to look at such issues just because rep comments are "not moderated"?

sachin410, Nov 6, 2009 IP
  10. wptheme

wptheme Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think what Jennifer is trying to say that the OP also has the right to do it back to the person if he wants to. It's not encouraging to do so though.
    Just shows thats why its an un-moderated area.

wptheme, Nov 6, 2009 IP
  11. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Exactly. If something's illegal, report it to Shawn via the appropriate channels. Beyond that, rep is unmoderated. You can leave rep for whatever you want, and so can anyone else. If you have that much of a problem, don't makes posts that would attract harsh remarks and minimize what's there so you don't have to see it.

12. Mobile-Monster

Mobile-Monster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yet another reason to completely wipe out rep system.

What could be considered as illegal ? Racist..abusive language..calling names?

Mobile-Monster, Nov 6, 2009 IP
  13. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Rep isn't moderated (ie. moderators can't see it even if they wanted to), but it *is* administrated... ie. I can see.

digitalpoint, Nov 6, 2009 IP
  14. Mobile-Monster

Best Answers:
    So are the Racist..abusive language..calling names kind of rep messages subject to any kind of action?

I am having a hard time to understand why a politically sound person be considered as "highly reputed" in a webmaster forum :confused:

15. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Sometimes yeah, but not always. It's more of a crap shoot for the person if they are going to get banned or not.

Huh? What does being politically sound have to so with anything?

16. ksalman92

ksalman92 Peon

Best Answers:

Lol do you ever just sit and watch the reps fly?

"Oh, that one was good..what an a-hole" Lol

ksalman92, Nov 6, 2009 IP
  17. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Not on a regular basis, no... I have more important things to do than read rep comments people leave for each other.

I don't even read rep comments left for me (the window is collapsed).

18. Mobile-Monster

Best Answers:
    That was just an example. If there is really a need to have a rep system it should only be enabled at webmaster related section and rest area like P&R it should be completely deactivated.

FTN-Chris likes this.
  19. ksalman92

ksalman92 Peon

Best Answers:

I would figure yours would be more boring than the majority of other DP members. Eh, people go on FML.com and TFLN.com just to read dumb stuff, so if you could do it from your own site why not? I'm just sayin'.. :rolleyes:

ksalman92, Nov 6, 2009 IP
  20. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Who said there was a need for it? There is a need for reputation about as much as the need for image-based smilies in posts. Somewhere along the way someone decided rep matters to anything (not sure why they thought or even still think that).

Someone could just as easily decide in their own mind that you are a reputed member based on how many smilies you put in your posts. Doesn't mean we are gong to remove the smilies because someone "abuses" them by putting too many in their posts.

See where this is going? Rep never meant anything whatsoever, nor was it ever intended to mean anything. The fact that people decide in their mind it means something is purely on the shoulders of them (anyone who thinks rep is worth more than the bytes of hard drive space it takes).