1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dmoz Has 10,000+ Dead Links

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Jin, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    According to the source...

Furthermore...
    Which means the small handful (compared to the tens of thousand free sites) of PLUS accounts will need to be reviewed and reviewed again... yes, certainly worthy of keeping, with all the submissions that are sitting around that have not been looked into. It may be in the best interest to auto flag these sites, or simply remove them and wait till you find the new updated sites out in the wide open WWW. *shrug*

Qryztufre, Oct 31, 2009 IP
  2. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Me thinks the only sauce is from you.:D

Whose 'best interest' might that be? You are now qualified to know what is best for the directory you chose to leave so abruptly? Or is that in the interest of web masters in view of this comment

I think we will decide and how many suggestions are in the pool will not influence our decisions.

Anonymously, Nov 1, 2009 IP
  3. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I see you have nothing to say, except a stupid comment. Look in the internal forum and you will see how admins and metas are worried about profitibility of webmasters. :rolleyes:

gworld, Nov 1, 2009 IP
  4. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Havent seen their internal forums for approaching 2 yrs, but there were discussions off and on for years about the pros n cons of freebie websites and the fact that especially in pre-adsense days they tended to be a good source for some categories that normally wouldnt be represented well because there was no profit motive spurring people to create sites.

When I was there one of my categories was History cats, and though freebie sites lacked the glitz of commercial ventures, there were plenty of hobbyist types that created very informative sites simply as a labor of love. Getting snooty about their URL was secondary to finding sites that covered obscure historical niches that'd otherwise go under-represented.

Because of the age and size of their directory, Dmoz got hit harder than most by the closure of several freebie site hosts over the last couple of years. Every directory of size has to make a decision how they will deal with such closures, and no, this isnt news to them or anyone else. This kind of thing tends to get discussed well before the actual implementation.

If the policy they chose to go with was to work on replacing them instead of immediately sidelining them and causing a tremendous fluctuation in the size of their database... I don't see how that's supposed to concern me (but then I don't spend a lotta time seeking reasons to criticize other's efforts because I have a life). They're dealing with it in the way they elected to deal with it based on the number they have, the resources available, and the size of the problem that such closure creates, and I figure it's their call to make.

No idea what the purpose of this discussion is, did someone think they werent aware of this? LOL. Of course they are. This is "news" in the directory world about like it'd be news to Obama if you sent him an email saying..." HEY! Did you know we have thousands of troops in Iraq?! "

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
    robjones, Nov 1, 2009 IP
    Mia likes this.
  5. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    I recall bot adding over 10k of listings once, maybe he could do the same in reverse? :p

There still are, I still get surprised when I find brand new great content website on a free host (happens while I do my usual search for the filthy thieving Hobbits who are tying to steal my precious content from my wonderful unique website :D ).

Actually many of these websites got moved to their own domains and paid hosting, everything is so cheap today that anyone can afford it and with so many CMS available you no longer need even basic the knowledge of html/css to have cool looking webiste. ;)

Ivan Bajlo, Nov 1, 2009 IP
  6. Rafique

Rafique Peon

Best Answers:
    Its mean Dmoz submission can be useless

Rafique, Nov 2, 2009 IP
  7. dannyboi

dannyboi Peon

Best Answers:
    I have listed sites on dmoz in the past and had no problems but over the past 2 years i am still waiting for some of my other sites to get listed, Ive gone off dmoz in a big way I mean if they allow 10,000 dead geo sites to still be listed why the h*ll can't they list my quality sites more quickly 3-6mths i dont mind waiting but anything over a year is a joke really, when you consider it is meant to be the best directory on the net cuddled by google and still failing.
    Personally I think Yahoo DIR is more relaible and you can see your listing in days, although I guess you "gotta be on dmoz" waiting to see how much longer it can hold up!!:eek:

dannyboi, Nov 2, 2009 IP
  8. jakomo

jakomo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well,
    It could be very easy to delete :)

delete from dmoz_websites where url like '%geocity%'

:p
    Best regads,
    Jakomo

jakomo, Nov 2, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  9. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I said the other day about having a few thousand editors (which is a mistake), is when you have a few hundred editors left, things can't be done. :D

popotalk, Nov 2, 2009 IP
  10. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    How much did you pay for your Yahoo link?
    How much did you pay for your DMOZ link?

Sorry, but DMOZ do not set out to be a listing service. You suggested your site. Thank you. When a volunteer editor works in that area, and they will chose to do that themselves, your sites will be reviewed with a view to them possibly being listed. When will that be? I can answer that if you can tell me how much time all volunteers will give freely of their spare time over the next two years.

By the way, how do you spend your spare time? DMOZ editors spend some of theirs listing sites, nice to be appreciated.

How long will it hold up, well we have hundreds of editors working around the world on their hobby. We really build DMOZ for those who want to use a directory, we don't have much concern for any value our listing gives to the site or the owner. On that basis I would think for a lot longer yet. You might even care to join us and spend some of your spare time cataloguing the net for the use of surfers.

Anonymously, Nov 2, 2009 IP
  11. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The problem is not with volunteers or the time, the problem is with few corrupt individuals who have monopolized all the commercial attractive categories for either the benefit of their own sites or as a mean for selling links. DMOZ long time ago stopped to be a volunteer organization.
    On one point I have to agree with you, DMOZ at $100 a listing is still cheaper than Yahoo. :rolleyes:

gworld, Nov 2, 2009 IP
  12. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    DMOZ at free suggestions is a wonderful bargain, much better than Yahoo and much better than paying money to try and get listed in DMOZ and finishing up with no money back and no listing because of a permanent ban.

I think you will find that Geocities sites have now gone, though search will take a while to catch up, it does not work on the live directory. Japanese sites are still working.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
    Anonymously, Nov 3, 2009 IP
  13. 2advance

2advance Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I heard a SEO website that,if you pay $$ they guarantee that your site will be listed in DMOZ.How is it possible?
    Are they editors?

2advance, Nov 3, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  14. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    We all know that suggestion is free, I was talking about actual listing which costs about $100 through freelance or SEO sites. ;):D

gworld, Nov 3, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  15. FutureWEBSTORE

FutureWEBSTORE Peon

Best Answers:
    I think, As Yahoo have closed GeoCities, Dmoz should also remove it from there database as they are of no use if the target site is un-available.

FutureWEBSTORE, Nov 3, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  16. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    There are many scammers out there who will take money with a large promise that they cannot deliver. Don't get caught by them. If we have an editor who is rotten we will find them before long and they and the sites will get banned for ever.

DMOZ is free to suggest, anything else and your money and site listing is seriously at risk.

edit to add
    They are gone from the directory you see, but not from the one editors see. We shall be working to see if there are alternatives.

Anonymously, Nov 4, 2009 IP
  17. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I guess they have started deleting links, i checked some categories and they did not contain geocities links any more. Yahoo on other hand has removed more than 20,000 geocities links for its directory.

Jin, Nov 4, 2009 IP
  18. hostm

hostm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would suggest DMOZ owners to remove dead links automatically, not by volunteer hands...

hostm, Nov 4, 2009 IP
  19. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    The links were removed from the public directory by bots but human hands then check, and try to look for alternatives.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
    Anonymously, Nov 4, 2009 IP
  20. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I did a search, still over 10k listings... are you sure you are an ODP editor? You don't seem to know much about DMOZ, like your profile address :rolleyes:

Check out the dead links, that's not your standard 404, that means they will be looked over by your bots (just like the 10k+++ CNN links were overlooked, and completely ignored by the editors for months and months while I was here complaining about them ;) ) *thanks Jim! for finally listening*

Qryztufre, Nov 4, 2009 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.