1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dmoz Has 10,000+ Dead Links

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Jin, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Jin, Oct 29, 2009 IP
  2. World Class

World Class Peon

Best Answers:
    World Class, Oct 29, 2009 IP
  3. Ibn Juferi

Ibn Juferi Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah kinda nasty work to clear all those Geocities sites. They should have had a policy not to accept free service sites in the first place for exactly this reason.

Ibn Juferi, Oct 29, 2009 IP
  4. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think dmoz would delete them all o sudden, if it was my directory, i would have adapted a very slow approach as removing all those links might trip google or yahoo bots, also these 10k links are passing massive link juice to yahoo, it might even be possible that they never delete all these links.

Jin, Oct 29, 2009 IP
  5. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Volunteers have been going through them looking for alternative URLs for some time. We can't just remove them all because some (example) are still working.

jimnoble, Oct 29, 2009 IP
  6. EvcRo

EvcRo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well 10k from 5 milions is not a bad% of dead links for a directory, especially since they can clear them with a sql line.

EvcRo, Oct 29, 2009 IP
  7. wildogre

wildogre Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah deadlinks aren't good specially for the visitors. If they consequently find some dead links they stop visiting that particular website. So DMOZ should link into the matter very seriously.

wildogre, Oct 29, 2009 IP
  8. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think you should probably remove them Site:geocities.com

Jin, Oct 29, 2009 IP
  9. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    Smart trick when our legacy database is a helluva lot of text files :D

That G doesn't know a site exists doesn't mean it doesn't. Did you not check the example I gave :). (Yes it's still working at 18:30 UTC).

10. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Being as Geocities is officially closed down, you most certainly can remove all of the links, working or not.

Additionally it is your business to do with what you want. Don't want to accept spam sites you don't have to.

Do not want to find editors to review quality sites, you do not have to (and have not done so for years).

The argument you present is quite illogical.

Sem-Advance, Oct 29, 2009 IP
  11. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    So the 30 editors that I've joined so far this October are a mirage :p?

12. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google knows that site exists, if you had checked it 2 days ago you would have seen millions of results including that url which you mentioned, its just that google thinks its not important to have them in their index anymore, in addition to that, i see no reason for such page to be included in dmoz anyways.

Jin, Oct 29, 2009 IP
  13. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Jim, I think we both know the inherent problems that have plagued DMOZ for years.

I know I do......:)

Bringing on 30 editors this month, does little to make things right, or to explain the years of mismanagement, and lack of transparency that has plagued the directory.

Sem-Advance, Oct 29, 2009 IP
  14. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    Considering that page is labeled to be http://arquique.com and that does resolve and appears to be the same site, maybe updating that url would be a good idea? Doing so may be worth a few brownies points for those sitting on the fence. It really doesn't look to good to use an example that is rather obvious to be out of date.

theapparatus, Oct 29, 2009 IP
  15. camp185

camp185 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    jimnoble, I looked at your example. Strange how it's still showing, when Geocities ex home page is saying it's closed. I looked at Google's cache for your example, and it comes up blank.

I'm not an expert with DMOZ, but personally, I believe if it's geocities, delete it. Otherwise editors will be caught up in all sorts of issues.

First, they will most likely catch domain names other than geocities sites that are exactly the same or near exactly the same in the same listing. Do you delete both because the site owners broke DMOZ listing terms or do you just delete the geocity site?

Second, if an alternative domain is found, by what means are you going to authenticate ownership? How do DMOZ editors know that the alternate domain is owned by the same person that created the geocity site.

Third, you will create a backlash from site owners trying to get new content submitted because editors are too busy trying to list the geocities sites correctly. There are too few editors now, and it already can take a long time to get listed.

Fourth, time and logic. It takes time to edit they way you are suggesting. Does the review process actually take longer than finding an alternate for the geocity site? Wouldn't you have to review that site.....

I am sure I can think of a bunch other reasons why all Geocities listings could be deleted, and I am sure you could think of some reason why they shouldn't be automatically. I also betting arguments will go on about it for weeks. I also know that in one minute someone managing DMOZ can do this: Delete * from directory where domain = "www.geocities.com". Directory would then be thoroughly cleaned of sites that are no longer available.

And finally, maybe an additional criteria item should be added to DMOZ. Listings will not include anomalies sits such as this example: example

camp185, Oct 29, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  16. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I would assume that the example above is one of the few paid/pro accounts which will likely last only as long as their current payment. It is likely safe to remove them, or at least flag them...

Geocities japan is still working as well. It seems that they have only turned off the servers hosting the US sites, I'm sure the rest will shortly follow.

I've seen no proof of that.

Qryztufre, Oct 29, 2009 IP
  17. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    Per the site they currently have 84,369 editors.

That would make it a less than a hundredth of a percentage increase.

theapparatus, Oct 29, 2009 IP
  18. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry but that number does mean all the editors who have ever worked on any category. It even includes Q for his short stay.

If I found exactly the same site with the same content or near enough then I would list it, we are interested in content not who owns the sites.
    Seeing that we are not a listing service for web masters nor care to be we would not be interested in any backlash. We always check sites that do not return to see if we can find the same site or the same information on another site. We do try to deal with site updates and sites that do not return because they represent another editors contribution, not returns are never simply abandoned.

Yes it does take time, tell me about it, I have spent a good deal of time recently with non returns trying to discover other sites that offer the same or similar content.

Anonymously, Oct 30, 2009 IP
  19. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    That's fine. It's still less than a hundred of a percent though.

Fixed that link yet?

theapparatus, Oct 31, 2009 IP
  20. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    And some how the senior editors are worried that if they don't permit hundereds of deep links in the same adult domain, it will be too expensive for web masters to buy hunderds of domains. Talk about the irony.:rolleyes:

You can look for the source in the internal forum. ;)

gworld, Oct 31, 2009 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.