1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is sitemap submission really necessary?

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by Twity, Oct 26, 2009.

Is sitemap submission to Google really necessary, since my pages can be crawl because they have links to each other?

Twity, Oct 26, 2009 IP
  2. bootlace

bootlace Peon

Best Answers:
    Necessary for what? If you want to get indexed by Google, then yes it certainly helps but it's not a must.

It's very little effort and can be quite important, so I would advise to do it. There's a wordpress plugin that will let you create a sitemap with the click of a button. Then you just need to go to google webmasters and submit it there.

bootlace, Oct 26, 2009 IP
  3. Zaiaku

Zaiaku Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's not needed but does help. Basically without a sitemap google will still crawl your site.

Let say for example it crawls 100 pages in a week. Without a sitemap they could be any of your pages, maybe the least important ones to you. With a sitemap you can stress to google whih ones you think are important for them to crawl first.

Zaiaku, Oct 26, 2009 IP
  4. namln

namln Active Member

Best Answers:
    It helps google index your site faster. But not forced.

namln, Oct 26, 2009 IP
  5. Amer

Amer Peon

Best Answers:
    the answer is it NECESSARY!! Sitemap will not hurt you back? Why you’re not learn to optimize your SEO through sitemap. Learn from case, why visitor not come to your website? because your website is not visible!, Visible in here mean your website is hard to found by visitor who’s looking any information they needed.

Amer, Oct 29, 2009 IP
  6. kdenisk

kdenisk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not, it's optional. Still having a sitemap is a good style and makes your site being indexed faster.

kdenisk, Oct 29, 2009 IP
  7. seoexpert1985

seoexpert1985 Peon

Best Answers:
    Having and submitting sitemap on search engines is not necessary at all but it can help you to have more indexed pages on search engines.I recommend you to make a sitemap for your website .

seoexpert1985, Oct 29, 2009 IP
  8. Anand85

Anand85 Active Member

Best Answers:
    By placing a formatted xml file with site map on your webserver, you enable Search Engine crawlers (like Google) to find out what pages are present and which have recently changed, and to crawl your site accordingly.

Anand85, Oct 29, 2009 IP
  9. nrajasekharan

nrajasekharan Member

Best Answers:
    HTML v/s XML sitemap. Matt Cutts recently made it clear that if there is only one choice, HTML sitemap can be preferred and there is no compulsion for any sitemap.

nrajasekharan, Oct 30, 2009 IP
  10. Kristina19

Kristina19 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It is always good to submit a sitemap to google.

Kristina19, Oct 30, 2009 IP
  11. zaaylo

zaaylo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    its almost important to submit sitemap, gives clear path to crawler.

zaaylo, Oct 30, 2009 IP
  12. appleranger

appleranger Peon

Best Answers:
    I was never taught to submit a sitemap. Doing so will not get me sandboxed or harm my site, will it?

appleranger, Oct 30, 2009 IP
  13. roger123

roger123 Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you have good internal linking, you don't need to submit the sitemap; however, it doesn't hurt if you submit it, right?

roger123, Oct 31, 2009 IP
  14. alex_cristo

alex_cristo Peon

Best Answers:

Well, sitemap submission is not necessary but recommended as it helps in quick indexing of your site's all pages.

Also By submitting XML sitemap, you give Google additional information about pages on your site - for example, how often each page is updated, when each page was last modified, and the relative importance of pages on the site. and it helps in speed up the discovery of new and updated pages on your site. Also, sitemaps are a great way to tell Google about pages on your site that may not be easily crawled by Googlebot - perhaps because they consist of dynamic or non-text-based content (such as AJAX or Flash).

alex_cristo, Oct 31, 2009 IP
  15. jeja7676

jeja7676 Active Member

Best Answers:
    My personal opinion is that submitting sitemap is absolutely not necessary. Google indexed all my sites within a week or 2, and within a month it indexed 90% of my pages.
    It even indexed some pages that were not linked internally (nor externally) - and I just couldn't figure out how...
    Maybe posting a sitemap would be helpful if you want to increase number of pages without internally linking to those page (??!??!!)
    My experience is that Google finds new pages very very quickly.

jeja7676, Nov 1, 2009 IP
  16. sarpras2005@yahoo.co.in

sarpras2005@yahoo.co.in Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, it will help to index all pages of your blog or website. It also help to index your blog very fast.

17. maher961

maher961 Member

Best Answers:
    no it not necessary if you make links to all your website.

maher961, Nov 9, 2009 IP
  18. xhanch

xhanch Member

Best Answers:
    It is a must if your website is still new.

xhanch, Nov 14, 2009 IP
  19. jeja7676

jeja7676 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I guess everything that is legal and you do it for your site's promotion is a good thing. That's a "+". But, I wouldn't agree that site maps are a must. When I add new stuff on my site which is on google's page #1, it takes few hours at most , for that page to get indexed. On the other hand, my other site, which is maybe on - 20th page, when I add something there - it takes a week at most. A week doesn't matter anyway for a site ranked that low.
    If a site is new - link building and page building is 99% of the magic to the success. site maps are not essential in that case.
    That's my opinion.
    cheers

jeja7676, Nov 14, 2009 IP