1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New Project, over 1 million products

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by FreeCashTube, Oct 23, 2009.

Hi Guys,

We are starting a new project for one of our clients who requires to setup a online store that will have over 1 million products.

Any suggestion as to what would be best software to use for this project? Which engine would have no issues handling so many items?

Also, best way to insert so many products. In what format should i ask for the product list? to make it easy to add so many products? I assume there is a way to upload

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers

FreeCashTube, Oct 23, 2009 IP
  2. oz198

oz198 Member

Best Answers:
    I would assume the best way to receive produc info for upload would be .csv files.

oz198, Oct 23, 2009 IP
  3. Curtis Hunter

Curtis Hunter Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What kind of products are they selling?
    Is it wholesale?

If they are selling large quantities of many products and have a huge catalogue, then I would definitely suggest SpeedOrder Cart. The cart allows customers to easily order products, unlike the grossly outdated system of ordering products that all other carts still endorse. Also, they will work with you gladly to import a large number of products when you have an excel file or a similar file to produce.

Curtis Hunter, Oct 23, 2009 IP
  4. bidzapbiz

bidzapbiz Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, would love to see this when its done.

bidzapbiz, Oct 23, 2009 IP
  5. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    Gotta admit that considering this is a paying client, a better question would be for you to ask them is "Why file formats can you provide?"

theapparatus, Oct 23, 2009 IP
  6. iknowalittlebit

iknowalittlebit Peon

Best Answers:
    If I had a million products and found out that the guy I hired had to come to a chat forum to find out what to do, I would be a little concerned. None of the off the shelf carts will work for you. You will also need a dedicated server. Actually, why am I wasting my time... I'm not sure I believe that this one million product client even exists.

iknowalittlebit, Oct 23, 2009 IP
  7. risahe

risahe Active Member

Best Answers:
    1 million products? would love to see this when its done.

risahe, Oct 24, 2009 IP
  8. gimmor

gimmor Peon

Best Answers:
    The best will be Megento.

gimmor, Oct 24, 2009 IP
  9. lu1980

lu1980 Peon

Best Answers:
    magento,oscommerce

lu1980, Oct 25, 2009 IP
  10. iknowalittlebit

iknowalittlebit Peon

Best Answers:
    You people are giving bad advice. You can't use a plug n play cart for a million products. Try it and your heart will be broken after doing all of the work.

iknowalittlebit, Oct 25, 2009 IP
    theapparatus likes this.
  11. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    That surprises you around here?

theapparatus, Oct 25, 2009 IP
  12. jpatrick85

jpatrick85 Member

Best Answers:
    If you optimize MySQL the right way, it can handle well over 1 million products very quickly. I agree you will likely need a custom-built software solution for front end though. Good luck with that, maybe try getting the client to pay for it?

jpatrick85, Oct 25, 2009 IP
  13. wounded1987

wounded1987 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1M products can exist, maybe some small items that total sum to 1M, never say never and maybe it is a real client, anyway if their business is profitable and they have money the best would be to develop their own back end, but there are some other great free/paid scripts out there.

wounded1987, Oct 25, 2009 IP
  14. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A million products sounds like a job that a full on development team would be doing.
    Not someone asking shopping cart questions on a forum.

averyz, Oct 25, 2009 IP
    theapparatus likes this.
  15. iknowalittlebit

iknowalittlebit Peon

Best Answers:
    Exactly. This thread is a waste of time. Somebody just getting a rise out of all of the rediculous advice being given.

iknowalittlebit, Oct 25, 2009 IP
  16. FreeCashTube

FreeCashTube Peon

Best Answers:
    Our team has used several e commerce solutions in the past for other clients. This is not new, and I am pretty sure that 95% of developers have never come across a large project such as this one in the past. We are already aware that off the shelf carts will not work, hence we thought we may get some ideas from fellow developers before committing our self.

Its never a concern to look for ideas and try to leverage off others who may look at something at a different angle.

Thank you, I understand that. Figured someone out there might know something we dont and have come across something we have not seen before. Thank you.

No issues with building the front end, and I know SQL will be able to handle it if used correctly. There has to be a software out there that gives you the flexibility. No issues with hacking the PHP

Thank you.

It does not hurt to ask. This is the first time my team is handling such a big project. Not everyone comes across such a big project on daily basis, and I dont think its wrong for me to ask fellow developers to see if they know something I dont.

Over the years I have gained so much knowledge from this board, as I am sure you have as well.

So why not close all threads that ask for others opinion? No one is getting a rise.

Thank you.

FreeCashTube, Oct 26, 2009 IP
  17. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    With all due respect, that should have been in your first post along with what platforms you have used previously. To be honest, your post makes it sound like this is coming out of the blue and you're looking for beginning advice. It really sounds like you want all of this information handed to you.

If you spend any time on support forums or open ones like DP, you see a lot of "Hi I'm new and I'm too lazy to use Google or search myself and I'm going to tell you to give me the answer because that's the way I want it." around them.

No offense intended.

What have you used previously? Are any of them scalable?

theapparatus, Oct 26, 2009 IP
  18. iknowalittlebit

iknowalittlebit Peon

Best Answers:
    95% of developers have come accross a client that has one million products? Really? Does WalMart even have one million products?

iknowalittlebit, Oct 26, 2009 IP
  19. classicugg

classicugg Peon

Best Answers:
    me too

and may be you can try zencart shopping software

classicugg, Oct 26, 2009 IP
  20. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    No (Most of the numbers I've seen are 100k active and that seems high to me. The very large supermarket that I worked at in college was 31k sku's.) but I'll bet it's a book catalog. Considering out of prints, that number is doable.

edit: Very doable actually. Bowler currently lists 628k publishers indexed worldwide and with each one having to have at least 1 book issued to get a ISBN publishers prefix, that means there's at least 628k books out there.

theapparatus, Oct 26, 2009 IP