1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Horrible Bait and Switch Directory

Discussion in 'Directories' started by onlinedude, Aug 15, 2006.

1. xeno

xeno Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh my god. You killed kenni!

Seriously though, where is this guy? I think the refund is a good start to making amends and he should come on DIGITAL POINT forums and make his statements. And I really hope that his link trade thread http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?p=1263312#post1263312
    isn't a bait and switch.

xeno, Aug 15, 2006 IP
  2. fatinfo guy

fatinfo guy Peon

Best Answers:
    If you truly want to rid of the spam sites in iWebtool, delete them and refund them the money. This should avoid a lot of issues in the future. The follow-up is also appropriate to make them update the listing to a better website if you don't want to refund the money.

fatinfo guy, Aug 15, 2006 IP
  3. onedollar

onedollar SEO Consultant for Hire

Best Answers:
    that would be the right way to do it and in future, do not accept those spam sites if you don't want to have them listed in your directory :)

onedollar, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  4. RickM

RickM Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I think after this it is pretty clear to say what the purpose of iWEBTOOL is - a money maker, putting prices up by $4...seriously, spammers cant afford $9.95?

The amount of cash generated at iWEBTOOL must be quite high already, they have god knows how many text links on every page, google ads on the forums plus all those directiry listings.

And the below link, that pretty much tells its own story...its likely that the offer below was to get people into the directory so he could then sting them at $9.95 each...very unethical.

showthread.php?p=1263312

RickM, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  5. PinotNoir

PinotNoir Peon

Best Answers:
    Good point. Spammers usually don't have a problem shelling out extra dollars for shady sites.

PinotNoir, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  6. dre

dre Peon

Best Answers:
    You guys dont understand. What the spammers do is put up a perfectly acceptable site. Then a few days later they change the content of the site to god knows what. We have offered people refunds and links that was in the directory before will be "granfathered" meaning they will stay there on a permanant basis. As for the google ads in the forum, that was introduced on Saturday/Sunday and they aren't iWEBTOOLS ads, its the members ads (revenue sharing)

dre, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  7. Ernster

Ernster Peon

Best Answers:
    I personally think it's a joke that a directory owner would remove sites from their directory if they dony pay....a 2nd time!...isn't it their job to provide as many quality sites as possbile so users have a wide variety of results to search? Seems some people have forgotten what directory is all about.

Ernster, Aug 16, 2006 IP
    EveryQuery likes this.
  8. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    If I read the email I got right though, due to all the pressure from DP they are leaving already paid submissions as permanent.

What I do find ridiculous is that Kenni is monitoring this thread (as you can see from the bottom) but won't actually comment. Istead he is throwing dre to the wolves :rolleyes:

yfs1, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  9. EveryQuery

EveryQuery Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Ding ding ding! We have a winner. That was perfectly stated. Adjusting prices isn't the answer to making a directory have higher quality listings. You (and/or your editors) have to spend time actively seeking high-quality sites if that is your goal.

EveryQuery, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  10. SebastianB

SebastianB Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey, I was thinking about buying a submission. Luckily I checked out the forums first. Thanks for the information.

SebastianB, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  11. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ok now I have read some more I think that maybe Iwebtools ARE trying to combat spam, but not handling it very well.

Dre, here is what you do.
    1. set your prices to whatever you deem fit.
    2. schedule a manual review of EVERY site in the directory, and try to get it done within 3 months. We are talking a quick glance to see if they have in fact baited and switched content. not an in depth review. So if you have 9000 sites, in 90 days, = 100 per day.
    3. as these sites are reviewed do the following
    3.a. Site spamming = remove from index
    3.b. site acceptable = place on watch so that if the content of the main page changes you will get an email. This will throw you a warning light against content bait and switch.
    4. place ALL new accepted submissions on content watch, so that again if it changes, you will know.

You now have a fair bit of checking to do, but if 100 pages a day change, you can do that in about 20 minutes as we are talking 'at a glance' checks here. After a very short while, you will see which sites are obviously genuine, and can remove them from watch.

You will now have a very nice quality directory that is indeed worth paying a premium to get into, and will also have put in place spam guards.

HTH
    OWG

Old Welsh Guy, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  12. EveryQuery

EveryQuery Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Welsh made some fatastic pointers there. Also run some sort of link validation to weed out broken links or sites now re-directing to who knows where. One of the now-infamous Kenni emails mentioned a bad listing reporting system. Another fine idea. Some of these implementation and some of those from Welsh should take care of almost all of the bad listings.

EveryQuery, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  13. dre

dre Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I will also add a simple button, by each website (similar to what DP has to report post) to report spam/illegal site. I have already thanked Old Welsh Guy, he's old and wise :p

dre, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  14. RH78

RH78 Peon

Best Answers:
    I liked how they said "only webmasters not too bothered about the popularity of their site..."

Wow...kind of like "If you're a real webmaster, you'll buy. If you don't, then you're just a hack with a hack site." Nice PR there fellas.

RH78, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  15. Colbyt

Colbyt Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Both Iowadog and myself asked the same question about what happens if the script values are changed after a startup period using permanet.

Are the existing expiration dates in the DB affected in any manner?

Can anyone answer that question?

Colbyt, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  16. Kaediem

Kaediem Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not all that crazy about south park but this made me laugh out loud!

Kaediem, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  17. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you check the more info link for the listings currently in the directory there is an "Expires on" date that's set to a period of one year. Guess we'll have to wait it out to see what actually happens when the time is up.

CReed, Aug 16, 2006 IP
    wrmineo likes this.
  18. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    Good find and catch ....

Thought we heard this was a non-issue for those who'd been given "permanent links" prior this debacle?

wrmineo, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  19. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    My site expires on the 30th of January. I think I paid for a permenant listing.

maldives, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  20. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am sure Dre will be along sometime soon to explain what field they are pulling the dat from to udpate the non expiring submisions :)

Old Welsh Guy, Aug 16, 2006 IP