1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Downloading from youtube illegal?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by virtualmisc, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Wz Network

Wz Network Peon

Best Answers:
    There is no way for them to tell if you downloaded the video or not. On their end, it looks as if you simply streamed the video. Go ahead and download all the youtube videos you want.

Wz Network, Oct 17, 2009 IP
  2. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually that's not true either but I'm tired of all the inaccuracies folks are listing in this thread, it's not worth the trouble.

It's very easy to tell from a webhost's point of view how a file is being transferred.

theapparatus, Oct 17, 2009 IP
  3. Wz Network

Wz Network Peon

Best Answers:
    They will simply see the file was transferred to a computer. They cannot differentiate between it being streamed or downloaded to the PC, as streaming in the end is temporarily saved in the browser cache.

Wz Network, Oct 18, 2009 IP
  4. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    I stand by my point. Having run a downloader site for well over three years, I'm familiar with the code involved that Youtube uses. They can easily tell the difference between a download and a stream. How do I know that? Because the code is different for both. This was done for the change back in March of this year.

We're not talking about delivery methods in general. We're talking about Youtube, a specific site. The code is very clear on how the video is being delivered.

theapparatus, Oct 18, 2009 IP
  5. Wz Network

Wz Network Peon

Best Answers:
    3 times a week? This method has worked for over a year:
    http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2008/04/download-youtube-videos-as-mp4-files.html

Wz Network, Oct 20, 2009 IP
  6. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    Really? Seems broken to me. :)

(For reference, they added in a ip based key code into the url back in March, 2009 or there abouts. Since then they've update the way the array containing the url of the video file is arranged a couple times a week.)

But the again, you've proven a number of times that you don't know what you're talking about.

theapparatus, Oct 20, 2009 IP
  7. Wz Network

Wz Network Peon

Best Answers:
    Um, the method on the link I posted works fine...

Wz Network, Oct 20, 2009 IP
  8. Kainat

Kainat Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes. I am downloading my favorite videos regularly from Youtube and I haven't been into trouble, so no harm in doing that.

Kainat, Oct 20, 2009 IP
  9. wiresaw

wiresaw Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think it is not, just use the video for personal use and don't sell it.. I hope it helps...

wiresaw, Oct 24, 2009 IP
  10. wptheme

wptheme Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
  11. ghyper.com

ghyper.com Peon

Best Answers:
    I was hsoting youtube search engine and Downloader site. They disable adsense for my that domain. But the same adsense in working at iBusinessArena.com is working.
    I got this

ghyper.com, Oct 28, 2009 IP
  12. ghyper.com

ghyper.com Peon

Best Answers:
    This is because of Trademark infringement and the link they provided is the reference of search made by visitor...
    Also Youtube Downloader site have Direct Access to Youtube server, thats the 2nd reason they disabled adsense

ghyper.com, Oct 28, 2009 IP
  13. Mecourof

Mecourof Peon

Best Answers:
    Speaking of YouTube download legal issue, we can find so many reviews on Google. For instance: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/advice/10340296/Can-I-download-video-clips-from-YouTube.html
    https://www.quora.com/Is-downloading-YouTube-videos-legal
    http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/is-it-legal-to-download-youtube-videos.html
    Some claims that it is totally illegal to download YouTube videos while others think that we can download YouTube for personal use. I feel that it's ok to download non-copyright YouTube videos for personal use.

Mecourof, Jul 27, 2017 IP
  14. Jeff_from_NJ

Jeff_from_NJ Peon

Best Answers:
    Why do people keep giving their opinions rather than a legal answer. If people don't know the law, that's fine. But don't give people information as if you do and don't just regurgitate some garbage you heard from anther person that knows nothing about the law.

The law is clear, like it or not, if the info is copyrighted, it's illegal to take it, period. Will the owner care, maybe not. Will Youtube care, maybe not. Will your ISP care, maybe not. But all that doesn't change the law.

Jeff_from_NJ, Aug 11, 2017 IP
  15. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Not necessarily. That will be very different from country to country. For instance, in many countries, copying copyrighted material is perfectly legal as long as it is strictly for "personal use" - this goes for books, CDs, video, whatever you can think of, mostly. At least for creative works.

I can copy a CD from a friend, for my own use. And I can share it with another friend, as well. This is not illegal. The same goes for books, or videos / DVDs and so on. I would assume the same legalities applies to downloading from YouTube - ie, it's legal to save a video, for personal use (say you want to have some music videos on your machine, to make a playlist, or be able to watch / listen without being online).

So, again, it depends very much on where you're located.

PoPSiCLe, Aug 11, 2017 IP
  16. Jeff_from_NJ

Jeff_from_NJ Peon

Best Answers:
    You're right, I stand corrected in my myopic answer. This question has many paths which lead to many answers that have footnotes. I suggest those individuals that truly want a real answer check the laws in their country and then specifically understand the fact pattern of the question. For instance, taking copyrighted material form one location to another may not offer the individual the protections of the new location if the copyright holder did not himself bring the material into that new location.

This question is beginning to sound like a law school final exam question ...

Jeff_from_NJ, Aug 11, 2017 IP
    PoPSiCLe likes this.
  17. Spartan14

Spartan14 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Its not ilegal but its called copywright and if you upload these videos to your channel if the creator reports you ,your acount will get banned

Spartan14, Aug 11, 2017 IP
  18. K Padmapriya

K Padmapriya Member

Best Answers:
    If you want to download videos from YouTube , then WinX YouTube Downloader is a perfectly clean and safe freeware which is capable of downloading your desired videos with original video/audio quality in a flash. It is the best online video downloader which supports Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP (32 and 64 bit). It is not an illegal way by using this.

K Padmapriya, Nov 7, 2017 IP
  19. Intellyhost

Intellyhost Peon

Best Answers:
    In YouTube ToS it states You agree not to access Content for any reason other than your personal, non-commercial use solely as intended through and permitted by the normal functionality of the Service, and solely for Streaming. "Streaming" means a contemporaneous digital transmission of the material by YouTube via the Internet to a user operated Internet enabled device in such a manner that the data is intended for real-time viewing and not intended to be downloaded (either permanently or temporarily), copied, stored, or redistributed by the user so basically not 'Illegal' per say

Intellyhost, Jun 8, 2018 IP
  20. bcdxer

bcdxer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As per TOS it is illegal

bcdxer, Jul 8, 2018 IP