1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Building a "Coupon" website using Joomla!

Discussion in 'Joomla' started by kinley, Sep 16, 2009.

Hi all,

I have created a few Joomla! based sites in the past couple of years.

I have got a new assignment from one of our clients to build a "Coupon" site using Joomla! as the content management system.

I would like to create a site on the lines of retailmenot(dot)com and couponcabin(dot)com where apart from the webmaster, the user community can also submit coupon codes.

How should I start here? Are there templates available in the market which are specifically build for this?

Would appreciate suggestions on this as I am quite confused:confused:

kinley, Sep 16, 2009 IP
  2. Blue Star Ent.

Blue Star Ent. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can use a classifieds plugin, or have a classifieds plugin customized to do what you want. I do not do those things, but a regular PHP programmer would be able to.

Blue Star Ent., Sep 16, 2009 IP
  3. barattadesign

barattadesign Peon

Best Answers:
    I just looked at one of the sites you mention in your post. As far as templates go, you will find many template clubs for Joomla that have that look like the site above. (retailmenot) I could not figure out what they are using exactly for that site but it is very modular looking and most Joomla templates can do that.

You could also look at a directory type component, SOBI 2 for example is open-source and can be customized to suit your needs. Its huge and can do a great deal for you without any customization.

barattadesign, Sep 19, 2009 IP
  4. jessicalore

jessicalore Guest

Best Answers:
    Any catalog extension can do this thing to. You need to modified of course.

jessicalore, Sep 26, 2009 IP
  5. kinley

kinley Peon

Best Answers:
    @barattadesign: SOBI2 is indeed a great suggestion, will dig into it further. Thanks :)

kinley, Sep 28, 2009 IP
  6. barattadesign

barattadesign Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

At the Joomla extensions directory under "New Extensions" you should see a new component that just came out today Oct.4-2009 called "Coupon Management System". It is opensource and I have not tried it yet.

barattadesign, Oct 4, 2009 IP
  7. kinley

kinley Peon

Best Answers:
    @Baratta Design,

can you please post the link to this Joomla extension.

Thanks.

kinley, Oct 4, 2009 IP
  8. togu25

togu25 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes u can using classified plugin and make some editing at that plugin,i suggest you to hire some php programmer

togu25, Oct 5, 2009 IP
  9. CouponCodes

CouponCodes Peon

Best Answers:
    You could probably use it to let users post coupons. If not, then that post was spam

I checked out that Joomla plugin and it does not look that great. I build my coupon site using wordpress

http://coupons.ruddo.com

CouponCodes, Oct 5, 2009 IP
  10. barattadesign

barattadesign Peon

Best Answers:
    You really don't need any component to add coupons to a Joomla site. Just enter the coupons into an article format listed in a particular category and section. And yes you are right, that Component that was listed at the Joomla extension directory as a 'Coupon Management System' doesn't look very good. There are dozens of components that could be used since all that is happening is someone is submitting something. Which Joomla does without any add on. :)

barattadesign, Oct 5, 2009 IP
  11. Templatemesh

Templatemesh Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Get Easter 30% discount for Premium Joomla Templates and WordPress Themes from https://www.pcmshaper.com/blog/easter-day-joomla-wordpress-themes-sales

Templatemesh, Mar 29, 2016 IP