1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

50 wordpress or 50 websites, which is better for SEO?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by risabh108, Sep 10, 2009.

I would like to find out what solution would be better for my main site's SEO. Which of the following two would be better for my main site?

a) 50 wordpress pages (regularly updated) - what are the pros and cons? Any issues?

b) 50 individual websites (regularly updated and optimised) - what are the pros and cons? Any issues?

risabh108, Sep 10, 2009 IP
  2. Cheap SEO Services

Cheap SEO Services <------DoFollow Backlinks

Best Answers:
    Either is better as long as the ip for each is different and the content is fresh daily on each

Cheap SEO Services, Sep 10, 2009 IP
  3. ponmayil

ponmayil Peon

Best Answers:

If updated regularly and uploaded useful information for customers.

Thanks for sharing good information.

ponmayil, Sep 10, 2009 IP
  4. BeeArcade

BeeArcade Active Member

Best Answers:
    i guess 50 individual websites would be better some of them can also use wordpress and other CMS also

BeeArcade, Sep 10, 2009 IP
  5. pray.mtb

pray.mtb Peon

Best Answers:
    as per my opinion 50 individual websites are good because you will have FTP details to make any changes fast on live site, in wordpress everything will come from database...

pray.mtb, Sep 10, 2009 IP
  6. kursatcanak

kursatcanak Peon

Best Answers:
    I was going to ask the same question. Solution offering and subject opens friend thanks..

kursatcanak, Sep 10, 2009 IP
  7. romelprashad

romelprashad Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    50 websites and 50 WP are equal if the conditions provided below are satisfied:

1. All 50 WP have unique domain name (not subdomain)

Here I assume you mean different Word Press blogs

2. Hosted in different servers ( IP classes should be different)

3. Holds quality content

4. Regular post updation.

I personally prefer WP compared to websites if the above conditions are satisfied.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
    romelprashad, Sep 10, 2009 IP
  8. illustra

illustra Peon

Best Answers:
    Wordpress is preferred over website pages in search engines.

illustra, Sep 10, 2009 IP
  9. Canonical

Canonical Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think there is ANY truth to this.

WP sites may get indexed more frequently because of pinging the search engines when a new post is made but as far as how they rank, there is no "If WP site then bump their rankings" logic in the ranking algorithms at the various search engines.

Canonical, Sep 10, 2009 IP
  10. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I would rather have one solid website with great unique content, vs 50 websites that I don't have time to update ;)

Brandon Sheley, Sep 10, 2009 IP
    Canonical likes this.
  11. darrens

darrens Peon

Best Answers:
    lots of talk about 'different ip addresses' but name a host that can provide 50 different ip address on different c-blocks..

darrens, Sep 10, 2009 IP
  12. Excel 8

Excel 8 Guest

Best Answers:
    I think it didn't matter what matter is the IP range. Google consider it as 1 link if they see the IP range is not unique.

Excel 8, Sep 10, 2009 IP
  13. Canonical

Best Answers:
    THIS guy knows what it's all about! Having 50 websites is absolutely worthless in most cases unless you have the time to go create unique, compelling content for and build backlinks to the content on those 50 websites. All you would be doing is making it 50 times harder to make your main site rank because now you'll be spreading your time over 50 sites instead of one.

You are MUCH better off building one GREAT site that attracts readers and/or customers... which will in turn attract natural backlinks.

If you can't build one GREAT site then what makes you think building 50 crappy ones is going to somehow help?

People have been using cheap tricks like this since the beginning of times to try to "trick" the search engines. Unfortunately they have dealt with this millions of times before. Google has hundreds if not thousands of PhDs sitting around figuring out how to deal with such cheap trickery. Hell I don't think it takes even a high school graduate to figure out how to detect this kind of scheme.

You are not the first to have tried this... and chances are good that it will eventually backfire and end up getting you penalized or banned should you get reported.

Brandon Sheley likes this.
  14. funkymario

funkymario Notable Member

Best Answers:
    i beg to differ, from my experience, having 50 websites should send you way way more traffic than just 1 website and also be 10 times easier to rank because with each homepage you could target different keywords and each of your domains will be based on those keywords, example: if you have a cooking website and plan on building 1000 unique articles: you will do much better if you have 50 websites with 20 original recipes each like this:

1) easyItalianrecipes.com
    2) easyVietnameserecipes.com
    3) easyFrenchrecipes
    4) easyChineserecipes
    5) easyChickenrecipes.com
    50) easyvegetarianrecipes.com

Because of the way Google treats homepages and keywords in domains, this setting should send you 10 times more traffic than if you were to publish those 1000 articles on just one websites, also with 50 websites all your 20 articles will have one level links on the homepage which will also make them rank much more easier than a website with 1000 articles and an internal structure of 4 levels, here is adam lasnik from google talking about the importance of linking to your articles from your homepage: http://www.toprankblog.com/2008/02/adam-lasnik-video/

Also, the risk with 50 websites is way less important, never put all your eggs in one basket, with 50 websites even if one of them gets slapped for whatever reason, you still have 49 healthy websites left, now image the drama if your only website which took you 2 years to build lose its rankings for god knows which reason, by the way having small websites is fine with Google's TOS, there is nothing black hat or against their TOS about having a network of small websites.

now i have to agree with you about the "time" issue, however, when someone can afford to buy and host 50 domains on different ips, he can also afford to hire cheap labor to updated them, he becomes only the maestro of his website empire.

your idealist thinking is good and very entrepreneurial , however you have to understand the question and the goals of the OP, this guy is not interested in coming up with the next "Youtube" or "Flickr" or a leading online store, he wants to make the most of his articles and maximize his revenue, and the way he wants to do things is the right way "for his objective".

ok now about the Wordpress or "Regular Websites" issue, i would say you can have both, install wordpress on 50 different websites on a Seohosting and privacy whois and you should be fine, i have a similar setting (but with a custom SEO CMS that i made) 6 times bigger (300 websites) and it has been working like charm for 3 years.

good luck.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
    funkymario, Sep 10, 2009 IP
  15. Canonical

Best Answers:
    I agree with you on a lot of points funkymario. I was speaking from the perspective of one webmaster generating content for and building links to 50 different web sites. Generally can't be done effectively.

Sure if they can afford to have a "team" of content generators and a team of link development folks who can generate content and build links to all 50 sites then yea... it scales. But for a single webmaster doing their own content generation, their own link development, their own optimization... 1 good site is going to be better than 50 crappy or super "thin" sites IMO. And IF they are all interlinked and owned by the same registrar they had better be relevant to one another.

In the example you gave above:

I agree that those domains are going to rank well with a relatively small number of backlinks for search phrases like "easy italian recipes", "easy vietnamese recipes", etc that EXACTLY match the domain... but they likely won't rank easily for phrases like "italian pasta recipes", "italian seafood recipes", "lasagna recipes", etc. that do not exactly match the domain name. Getting those little sites to rank for those phrases will likely require almost the same amount of work than if all of the recipes were organized on a single site of 1000 recipes.

Sure there is nothing in Google's guidelines prohibiting "thin" sites (other than "thin affiliate sites"). But having 50 thin sites has other disadvantages when compared to 1 beefy site such as is the case w/ domain authority and domain trust. A 20 page site will likely never be seen as an authority. But a 1000 page site very well could be.

So if the cost of paying for the domain hosting, building content, building backlinks, optimizing the sites, etc. for each one of the 50 sites is less than the money made from traffic as a result of EXACT matches to the domain name then yeah, I agree... it's worth it IMO. But for a single webmaster to undertake, I don't see it as scaleable.

PS: Nice video.

16. simpseo

simpseo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Are exact match domains really that important to have in terms of ranking well in Google? What I mean by this is whether they require so much less effort than a domain name that doesn't match that it justifies either purchasing a keyword rich domain name or trying to find one that is an exact match. I know that italianpasterecipes.whatever will naturally outrank easyitalianrecipes.whatever for the phrase "italian pasta recipes" but with a little more effort with regards to off-page SEO isn't this natural disadvantage easy enough to overcome?

Getting back to the subject matter, I personally prefer to have my own paid hosting especially since the cost these days is pretty reasonable, especially for multiple sites.

simpseo, Sep 10, 2009 IP
  17. Canonical

Best Answers:
    From what I've seen keyword rich domain names have a BIG impact when the search phrase EXACTLY matches the search phrase. I mean it makes sense that the engines would think, "Oh that user is looking for that site with that domain name." They don't guarantee top rankings for exact match, but with very few backlinks you can get the #1 spot typically.

I haven't seen partial matches where the domain name only partially matches the search phrase carry much more weight than it would having a partial match in a folder or filename in the URL. Other than exact match, having keywords in your domain name seem to only have a minor impact on your rankings similar to keyword rich URLs.

Maybe "EasyItalianRecipes.com" will make it easy breezy to rank #1 for "easy pork recipes" with only a handful of backlinks, but I haven't seen evidence of that personally. But that is just what I have observed. Maybe others have seen something different.

18. simpseo

simpseo Active Member

Best Answers:
    I suspected it had some impact but I didn't know how big that impact would be. It's hard to quantify because I have outranked an exact match domain name but it took a little more work. What about hyphens though - is it better with them or without them? And what about double hyphens (I've seen someone do this for several keyphrases)?

I've noticed the effect more on Yahoo than Google, but I've also noticed that Yahoo is still rewarding sites that repeat the keyword 15 times at the bottom of the page.

If the impact really is this big then it definitely means that it's a good idea to have paid hosting rather than a free subdomain if you can get a keyword rich domain name that has a reasonable search volume.

simpseo, Sep 10, 2009 IP
  19. zealot777

zealot777 Peon

Best Answers:
    50 wordpress because it will save you a lot of time and very seo-friendly. You can even download plugins that will help you optimize your site.

zealot777, Sep 10, 2009 IP
  20. Steve Powers

Steve Powers Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends.But if you can make sure:
    1)the domain is a TLD,catchy and accractive.
    2)the quality of your pages.
    3)conveniently updating and sufficient management.
    I think both are OK.

Steve Powers, Sep 10, 2009 IP