1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How safe is PHPBB 3 Software

Discussion in 'phpBB' started by DrJale, Aug 20, 2009.

I recently downloaded and installed PHPBB 3 software on one of my websites. So far every function works great, but I am more interested in security issue.

This is my first forum and I really want it to become a great informational resource. I don't want it hacked or anything any time soon, so I want your opinion and/or experience with PHPBB 3 so far...

Thanks!
    DrJale

DrJale, Aug 20, 2009 IP
  2. tercede

tercede Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    phpbb3 is safe if you keep on top of updates for the forum script, avoid custom mods, harden the server, use strong passwords, have great staff with hard to guess passwords, 1 administrator with ACP access, DDOS protection. Other stuff I didn't mention also.

The biggest thing would be adding bloatware to the forum base.

tercede, Aug 20, 2009 IP
  3. Password

Password Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    PHPBB3 is becoming safer and safer, a lot of forums use it. The old versions of PHPBB, PHPBB2 and other versions were VERY insecure.

PHPBB managed to create secure versions though. :)

Password, Aug 21, 2009 IP
  4. MhW

MhW Active Member

Best Answers:
    At the site I co-administrate, we've been using phpBB since day #1. Initially we started on a free host and transferred to paid hosting, initially on phpBB2 and then upgraded to phpBB3.

As the site has grown and become far more popular, we've not come under any kind of threat security-wise. I think it's safe to say the only trouble you'll get with phpBB3 are forum trolls and DDoS attacks, both of which can happen to any forum, on any host using any software.

You can sleep safe tonight knowing your forum will still be there in the morning ;)

MhW, Aug 21, 2009 IP
  5. rockinaway

rockinaway Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would say, it will be as safe as you want it to be. If you are happy to keep it up-to-date and upgrade all modifications and stay on top of everything, there should be no reason for it to be unsafe. However, if you choose not to take care, then safety becomes a great concern and once your forum gets attacked, it can be VERY difficult to recover.

Personally, paid software is always more safe as the people are paid to improve and work on it; therefore this is a minor issue with free software. But again, if you maintain it, then it should be fine.

rockinaway, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  6. Sir Rusty

Sir Rusty Guest

Best Answers:
    It's safe. It's safer than phpBB 2 I would say since I got hacked for every site I owned using phpBB2. Lol, But, phpBB3 is secure I would say. I don't know anyone who got hacked using phpBB3. ;)

Sir Rusty, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  7. Bohra

Bohra Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    phpbb is secure but if modify it then u should take care that those mods are secure

Bohra, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  8. suganindia

suganindia Peon

Best Answers:
    Phpbb is safe till all stop using it...

suganindia, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  9. kwikom

kwikom Peon

Best Answers:
    safe but exploited often and easily.

for free software it is quality although vBulliten is best in my book, and not very expensive at that.

kwikom, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  10. kber

kber Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    safe as you up to date with phpbb

kber, Aug 28, 2009 IP
  11. CrucifynDi3

CrucifynDi3 Peon

Best Answers:
    phpbb3 is the most easy to exploit/hack forum board software, but so is vbulletin and any other forum software for a pro hacker. you should be safe if you update regularly, and don't install any shitty plugins.
    actually all forums get hacked atleast once.... from what i have seen.

CrucifynDi3, Aug 30, 2009 IP
  12. Kevin-Stomping

Kevin-Stomping Member

Best Answers:
    It is safe but you have to be careful what mods you add to it. Those might not be safe....

Kevin-Stomping, Aug 30, 2009 IP
  13. Deus Ex

Deus Ex Peon

Best Answers:
    What is bloatware added to the forum base? Also, updates are huge, using custom mods, being sure there are no vulnerabilities in the mods you add to it and the issue of complicated passwords. The biggest issue one must overcome is the stupid DDOS attacks your site will get, usually it will be a brute force attack on a portion of your site in order to take the site down or break through scripts which are unsecure on your site. It is a PAIN in the ass

Deus Ex, Aug 30, 2009 IP
  14. Naico

Naico Member

Best Answers:
    PHPBB3 is very secure, if I remember correctly, the devs did a third party source code audit for revealing weaknesses. Avoid mods and you should be safe.

Naico, Sep 3, 2009 IP
  15. mallutribes

mallutribes Peon

Best Answers:
    yes avoid mods , phpbb is a most vulnerable forum , and there re s many holes to be attacked , and these mods will enable the holes.... so avoid mods and hacks then u will be safe...

mallutribes, Sep 4, 2009 IP
  16. Bohol

Bohol Peon

Best Answers:
    No forum site or forum software is hacker-proof all the time. Even a strong forum site run by professionals, I'm referring to webhostingtalk.com, can still be hacked. Security issues are something we have to live with. If you keep a backup of your database, you can always reinstall your forum if ever it is being messed up by intruders.

Bohol, Sep 7, 2009 IP
  17. DrJale

DrJale Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks everyone for your replies! This should be useful.

You also mentioned I should avoid mods to keep it more secure. If my forum becomes large, I will need someone to moderate it. How to solve this problem? It would be impossible for me to keep up with everything.

Thanks in advance!
    DrJale

DrJale, Sep 7, 2009 IP
  18. kber

kber Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is not true .. the Mods Database Released is 100% secure

kber, Sep 8, 2009 IP