1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ cleanup: Next phase

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by minstrel, May 2, 2006.

1. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ahhh-Ahhh. I came to Regional Philippines there were 1800 listings and 3000 unreviewed. I deleted most Travel Sites that were not supposed to be there but IS THERE, Not sure WHY it was there listed for a long time. Sites, deeplinks in TRAVEL. The Metas they have no spine to face me. Anyway its not all my life like some editors. :rolleyes: They have to hold on and suck it up just to be on guard waiting for PAYPAL. ;)

popotalk, Aug 8, 2006 IP
  2. sidjf

sidjf Peon

Best Answers:
    Indeed. There was a fair amount of editing done on what I originally wrote, and it was published before I was shown the final draft...

However, it still says basically the same thing as what I wrote.

Also, I wrote the article in April...

Apology or regret for what?

Well, I wouldn't call it "running to the rescue". First of all because it took way longer than it should have and second because there was no rescue - they simply took our suggestions and formed them into a policy that was actually workable (not a small task IMO). I was very happy with the new popolicy once I saw it in action. I think they did a good job on it (other than the amount of time it took to get it).

LOL! This forum won't get a thank you from me as the majority of it's users are mindless ODP hating trolls. I will however thank the non-odp people that, IMO, actually contributed in the discussions that happened here in relation to the policy in question (if you're an editor just assume the thank you).

Thank you to brizzie, minstrel, and dvduval.

Wow...the list was even shorter than I thought it would be... ;-)

sidjf, Aug 8, 2006 IP
  3. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    That there were pedophile chat forums listed in DMOZ and they shouldn't have been. That they shouldn't have been was proven by the introduction of wordings (that some have claimed here are not guidelines merely a cat charter) that banned them. It was a mistake there were allowed to be listed, it was a mistake they were not removed when the editor was removed, it was a mistake that when you moved them to Test you were admonished and the sites returned to the live directory, it was a mistake for Admins to take so long over the eventual removal of the sites. It is a mistake to treat it as a trivial quality control issue. Mistakes are usually regretted and usually accompanied by apologies.

I only noticed it by accident when looking at another article I had seen a reference to. To be honest I did not see your name at the bottom until it was pointed out here. Sorry sid but it comes over as trying to put a positive spin on things which personally I don't think was appropriate. I am not saying that the policy that emerged wasn't a good thing just that it was appalling it took so long when 99% of normal people could have come up with that in 15 minutes, and the article gives no indication that it was an Admin that actually restored the sites to the live Directory during internal discussions when they had been removed to Test for very good reasons. Their collective behaviour on that incident was deplorable and extremely damaging to the Directory to the extent that had they had any honour they would have resigned.

brizzie, Aug 8, 2006 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  4. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for confirming that you are only the puppet. ;)

If they had any honor, DMOZ wouldn't be such a mess. :rolleyes:

gworld, Aug 8, 2006 IP
  5. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    What short memories people have. I seem to recall that one particular editor had the guts to remove the sites in question to Test. And another editor, you, said absolutely nothing and did absolutely nothing internally. I know which of the two I have more respect for.

brizzie, Aug 8, 2006 IP
  6. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    And you post here ? :eek: No wonder most of you hide at RZ badmouthing DP in Editors Only and have the stomache to post here as if nothing happens.:rolleyes: That is lame and a perfect examples of back stabbers.

popotalk, Aug 8, 2006 IP
  7. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Troll baiting can be fun sometimes. ;)

brizzie, Aug 8, 2006 IP
  8. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I see that you are still hoping that one day they will take you back, so you can join the others in RZ. :rolleyes:

``Bart, you're saying butt-kisser like it's a bad thing!'' - Homer :)

gworld, Aug 8, 2006 IP
  9. sidjf

sidjf Peon

Best Answers:
    lol, well I didn't see any point in adding things that would obviously be removed. ;)

But yes, the chain of events of --- me moving the sites to test, an admin moving them back to the directory, me being dumped on by metas for moving them and "overstepping" my bounds, then an admin moving them BACK to test a couple of weeks later and it being seen as a sensible thing to do --- was definitely a bit disturbing for me. I never really said too much about it, but I found it petty and sad on many levels.

Thank you for confirming that you are a troll... :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I never claimed that I wasn't a puppet...The ODP is very hierarchical. The further you advance the more control you have over the things that happen down the line. I have zero control over what goes into the newsletter.

Brizzie left of his own accord...I don't think it's a matter of them "taking him back" - it's a matter of him actually wanting to go back. Also, he just spent an entire post criticizing the admins... Do you ever get it right?

sidjf, Aug 8, 2006 IP
  10. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I didn't think that you weren't a puppet either but it would be nice, that for once the puppet-masters come here and discuss the questions instead of hiding behind the puppet. :rolleyes:

gworld, Aug 8, 2006 IP
  11. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Seriously, these are disturbing circumstances. They lack RESPECT for the people that work hard and for the people down the line.
    Thanks for explaining that. Appreciate it very much.

Same here.;)

popotalk, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  12. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    They must have been too busy checking my edits so they didn't pay enough attention to these minor issues. :rolleyes:

Ivan Bajlo, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  13. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't bet on it. I believe the only way I would get reinstatement is if I toed the line and stayed away from criticism on controversial subjects. Unfortunately I don't believe that with DMOZ in its current situation with falling editor numbers and English language listings, i.e. in serious crisis, that pretending risks and issues don't exist and focusing on improving knitting pattern listings is particularly constructive or in the interests of DMOZ. I am happy to work on matters that will make an actual difference and start to turn things around inside as part of the team, or outside, it doesn't particularly matter to me. Admins have my email address but I doubt they will use it as knitting patterns don't particularly interest me. :D

brizzie, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  14. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Your just bored brizzie in the normal editing stuff. It does not interest you anymore.

Anyway, a person like you should be involved on projects like CLEANLINESS in the directory.

popotalk, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  15. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Not true actually. The most enjoyable and satisfying things I did in DMOZ were the creation of new categories on subjects never touched before be that a small town in Regional or a movie, or a band, editor basics. But as an editall you get drawn more and more into dealing with cleaning out spam and dead links and gradually lose touch with those basics. You get drawn into it because of a sense of duty - if editalls and metas didn't focus their attention on cleaning out the spam and quality control issues then there is no-one else with the necessary rights and the directory descends into greater difficulties. It might explain why so many editalls and metas end up short tempered - they didn't join to spend hours every day operating a shit shovel but that is what they end up doing and it wears you down.

You may have read my internal retirement note - I had exhausted every challenge available to me that I was interested in. I was not alone, particularly at the editall level and most likely at the regular editor level, but many others choose to sit it out with their account intact and simply do less and less each day. The challenge for Admins is to (a) recognise that, and they only have to run a confidential (to get honesty) survey or poll to find out, and (b) find out how to re-motivate people and do something about it. As usual, it is something that simply adds to the Admin's already overloaded plates, but something critical to reversing DMOZ fortunes. As usual, there is an answer and that is to delegate the task and I am sure there are some editalls who would jump at the chance of getting involved in exploring such an issue. If only to relieve the boredom and have something different to do.

brizzie, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  16. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Have you seen what I got through the censors? I'm sure someone asked me once if I was interested in editing the newsletter. Should have taken it up (I was Most Evil as well as Most Long-Winded ;) ). I feel a DMOZ Free Press revival coming on though. I enjoyed editing that. I believe the EU wide ban on Admins is still in place following the international incident in Diegem. :D

brizzie, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  17. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    See your bored. :D
    Yes I did read it. Some Senior Editors don't deserve their role. Some regular editors need to be promoted. DMOZ has a problem in finding new editors. The guidelines for accaptance is crappy. Since I was removed I tried 3 applications and got all of them approved.;) They need to do some serious overhaul on that.

popotalk, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  18. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You will be surprised how many "senior" editors are actually the same person. ;)

gworld, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  19. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Its nice to see honesty is so rewarding I should really come up with one, two, dozen nicknames for myself... using my real name around only gets me into trouble. :rolleyes:

Ivan Bajlo, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  20. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Oh no. Actually its from them that I learned the trade. ;)
    Just don't talk too much and keep focus on subjects. ;)

popotalk, Aug 9, 2006 IP