1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New Search Engine Launch - Feedback Needed

Discussion in 'All Other Search Engines' started by Badlands07, Jul 22, 2009.

1. zac439

zac439 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I saw you mention this but this is the first time I took a good look at it Chris.

My initial reaction is I love it because my keywords are putting me at #1.

:p kidding of course. I'm not sure how possible it would be to do modifications to the engine, but here are some points you might consider:

- One of my results has this as a description:
    I think it odd that it would pull all of the text that is irrelevant. Would be a good idea to remove dates, the website name, and the copyright notice. This really isn't a huge problem thanks to the neat Quick Look feature you have, but is something to consider. (It's also only a problem with websites that don't have META data if I assume correctly- so maybe it's my fault for being lazy)

- While I love the double exposure found here, would it be possible to implement a Authority Website block kind of like Google does? The second result wouldn't be relevant to the initial search.

- Another neat hack would be to load media results in the background after the web results are displayed. Maybe not a lot, just a picture or two, and find an easy way to display it to the user. It would be something that the average search engine doesn't have at least.

- Having a Digg-style system where authority users could moderate results with limitation would be really neat. Nothing drastic of course, but maybe authority users would be allowed to flag a URL as being spam, irrelevant to a result, or more relevant than a different result. It would require more work on your part in accepting/disapproving the changes.

- Hiding a result would be great. Or an entire website. Sometimes there are resources that I already know are going to be loaded with advertisements I don't even want to see the URL in my results. I'd rather see the spot filled with a different URL.

- Having a webmaster mode would be fantastic. Include stuff much like the Firefox SEO Addon does automatically once enabled. I'd love to see that.

I realize a lot of these suggestions are off the wall or too complicated to seriously take on. I just wanted to give you some ideas you haven't heard of to get your creativity flowing :D

zac439, Aug 16, 2009 IP
  2. hashmash

hashmash Peon

Best Answers:
    not to be rude whats the point of creating new search engines
    what will make people use ur search engine instead of the Big ones already out and have been dominating the market since internet came out?

hashmash, Aug 16, 2009 IP
  3. bluebenz

bluebenz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I like it, simple search as G.
    but it's still slower than G.

Keep your good work!!

bluebenz, Aug 16, 2009 IP
  4. Luke Beale

Luke Beale Peon

Best Answers:
    It looks good.

I like the "Quick Look" feature :D

Luke Beale, Aug 16, 2009 IP
  5. Badlands07

Badlands07 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Zac, these are great suggestions that I am collecting (along with others from this thread) as I move forward. Being more of a marketer then a programmer I end up contracting out most of the programming modifications, so I try to tend to lump many ideas/updates together.

I love a lot of what you mentioned, but on the point where the engine pulls descriptions you are correct that many times what it pulls tends to be odd, but in most cases it is trying to make a guess at what is important as there most likely is not any meta description (or anything good or available in the DMOZ) to pull from, so sometimes you end up with junk...:)

Some of the other items you mentioned have been implemented in another engine that I like to steal ideas from - www.scour.com. While I do not like the company that owns the actual engine, I do like a lot about that meta engine (originally was called AfterVote I believe).

Thank you for all the great imput and good luck with SEO Faction - love the first blog post - www.seofaction.com/blog

Badlands07, Aug 16, 2009 IP
  6. zac439

zac439 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I also wanted to add something that won't be too hard to implement and would really make me want to use your search engine over Google: your own thesaurus.

When I'm writing or doing any research I constantly use Google's define: function to look up word meanings. But what really agitates me is that there isn't a synonym: or antonym: command. A built in thesaurus would really be something I'd use frequently.

Thanks for the comments- they are much appreciated.
    I'll be sending you a PM in an hour with some updates :)

zac439, Aug 16, 2009 IP
  7. Badlands07

Best Answers:
    Zac, just created and added a Thesaurus (stealing the info from Thesaurus.com). Also added a dictionary to add in some additional benefits to some users. Check them out and tell me what you think?

Badlands07, Aug 16, 2009 IP
    zac439 likes this.
  8. Badlands07

Best Answers:
    Just updated the engine a bit more and trying to collect any additional feedback before I make major upgrades...:)

Thanks in advance:

http://www.icrawl.us

Badlands07, Sep 3, 2009 IP
  9. aviz

aviz Peon

Best Answers:
    excellent work best of luck

aviz, Sep 3, 2009 IP
  10. FifthDimension

FifthDimension Member

Best Answers:
    Ok good attempt at customizing a search engine, but how many times would an user need to click on 'email link' that appears as part of every search result? And showing a thumbnail/screenshot for every search result is not necessary when searchers are looking for quick information. You have tried to add more features and tried to look different from other search engines, best of luck.

FifthDimension, Sep 4, 2009 IP
  11. nileshnirale

nileshnirale Active Member

Best Answers:
    how to submit url to your search engine?

nileshnirale, Sep 4, 2009 IP
  12. AliR

AliR Guest

Best Answers:
    AliR, Sep 4, 2009 IP
  13. direct

direct Peon Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I reviewed your search engine. I like it. Its fast, I got good results. I like the thumbnails. I like the quick look feature. I also like the crisp clean template. Here is a tip. You can have your visitors go here to add your search engine into the Internet Explorer Provider box on their computer. http://www.ieaddons.com/en/createsearch.aspx

James Christie
    Affiliate Manager
    http://www.directassociate.com

direct, Sep 4, 2009 IP
  14. MrFlashPlayer

MrFlashPlayer Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice Look, i hope it will be popular in future

MrFlashPlayer, Sep 4, 2009 IP
  15. Badlands07

Best Answers:
    Thank you!

I think you are correct, sometimes more is not better. Thank you for your detailed and helpful feedback as it is much appreciated!

Currently not available - will post when it is.

Moving to get a .com. I actually liked the logo/type treatment, but you may be a better judge as I am a bit close to the project. Thanks for the input and good will - much appreciated!

That is a great tip - thank you for your feedback and the tip!

Me too - thanks bud...:)

Badlands07, Sep 4, 2009 IP
  16. james.jakab

james.jakab Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for providing the simple search engine. Nice effort and best of luck in your endeavor.

james.jakab, Sep 4, 2009 IP
  17. Badlands07

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the kind review...:)

Badlands07, Sep 5, 2009 IP
  18. balihost

balihost Peon

Best Answers:
    it fast and i really like the quick look feature, why don't make logo and template looks like web 2.0 app?

balihost, Sep 5, 2009 IP
  19. Badlands07

Best Answers:
    That is good feedback as you are the second or third person to say that - I actually liked the logo and template to keep it clean, but I think I may try something new based on your comments (and others).

Thank you for taking the time to review and use my search engine, I really appreciate it...:)

Badlands07, Sep 5, 2009 IP
  20. sh_peterish

sh_peterish Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi, Look at all the complaints online. Inout Scripts are full of bugs. I purchased 13 of their scripts, but none of them are working. Avoid these phishing scamming softwares to avoid loss of money. They will never refund once you pay.
    Please refer to the below posts for further troubleshooting.

https://www.upfan.net/

https://www.mail178.com/can-you-believe-it-514-bugs-with-inout-scripts-shopping-cart/

http://onlinor.com/

https://baojii.com/news/show.php?itemid=193

https://talkscripts.wordpress.com/

sh_peterish, Mar 15, 2018 IP