1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are People Actually Buying?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by 500ml, Aug 26, 2009.

1. bugzy

bugzy Banned

Best Answers:
    I have sold one sports website here and it's only 1 month old it has only $0.50 to $1.0 earning everyday but he still bought it. I asked him why he's so interested on my website and if he will monetize it for income. He said no, he bought it because he love that sports and that's his passion and he really wanted to maintain a website like that as a hobby.

bugzy, Aug 28, 2009 IP
  2. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    AMac08 is on the spot.

Investing in sites is risky if you have an established site that has years of solid income you might get a year on income for it.

But new sites are sketchy fake earnings, black hat rankings that disappear soon after you buy etc. They go for cheap to cover the risk.

Also the market is saturated buyers can take their time and look for a deal.

But like someone else was saying you might get lucky and have a niche someone wants and they will pay extra for it. I have come a crossed sites that hit my interest and just paid the buy it now price.

averyz, Aug 28, 2009 IP
  3. SOULZRIPPER

SOULZRIPPER Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are serious buyers out there but the fact is too many demands and criteria is stopping them from getting prospective websites.

SOULZRIPPER, Aug 28, 2009 IP
  4. yakusokutebayo

yakusokutebayo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Are you kidding me? You don't need 800 websites to earn $1/day with adsense. $1/day for adsense is not that difficult, but it has to be the "right" type of sites. Download/streaming sites don't go well with adsense from my experience.

yakusokutebayo, Aug 29, 2009 IP
  5. dantheman345

dantheman345 Peon

Best Answers:
    its all about advertising

dantheman345, Aug 29, 2009 IP
  6. bugzy

bugzy Banned

Best Answers:
    And just one other poster here suggested, look on the i-trader and read the feedback before giving the info of the website.

bugzy, Aug 29, 2009 IP
  7. yakusokutebayo

Best Answers:
    NOBODY sells a site on here for 8 years "revenue" like that. That would be dumb for the buyer. The poster obviously never sold or bought a website before.

8. Sensei.Design

Sensei.Design Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    nobody is really going to pay more then the 6-12x the income of a month in general and thats quite fair

Sensei.Design, Aug 29, 2009 IP
  9. osra76

osra76 Peon

Best Answers:
    People are really buy these sites if the price is right.

osra76, Aug 29, 2009 IP
  10. yakusokutebayo

Best Answers:
    Of course. The person who asked this question should probably give it a try him/herself. Try put up an auction for your site and see how it'd go. This is one of those things that you gotta learn from experience, not just reading lots of info. Even extensive reading won't par with what you'll learn if you go ahead and do it yourself.

11. Jessica001

Jessica001 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think some of them are serious buyers.

Jessica001, Aug 29, 2009 IP
  12. 500ml

500ml Peon

Best Answers:
    OK , let's consider that a fair valluation 6-12 months income. Wouldn't it be also reasonable to also factor in the cost of developing the house (website) that generates that revenue, assuming it's passive and consistent. Even at a modest rate of let's say $200 so the formula now looks

Website Market Value
    = Development + 9 months revenue
    = $200 + 9x$30
    = $470

so $470 would be the minimum selling price for a website that consistently generates $1 passively, does that sound like a good deal?

very good points , as you pointed out The online website marketplace is totally different to selling a business. I guess when many folks equivocate revenue with profit, they have in mind passive income sites that have very low or close to nothing maintenance cost in terms of time and money spent.
    in those cases revenue ~ profit

500ml, Aug 29, 2009 IP
  13. 500ml

500ml Peon

Best Answers:
    i guess a follow up question would be how do you guys filter out which posters are serious buyers and which are not, one person already suggested

. iTraders rating

anything else?

500ml, Aug 29, 2009 IP
  14. yakusokutebayo

Best Answers:
    Of course. For the people who have been buying and selling websites of course they wouldn't just consider "revenue" or profit to evaluate a website's worth. I've sold a few sites that were making $1/day for $400+ before. BUT if you were to sell a site like that here on DP, don't hope for something like that to even happen at all. Most people here at dp are looking for bargains, they will only be willing to pay $150 AT MOST for site that's making $1/day. My advice: sell at sitepoint/flippa.

Oh, i think this is pretty easy. For me personally i don't look for the itraders. When you talk to someone (on pm or reply on thread) you would know what kind of buyers they are. Usually those who just drop a one liner like "i'm interested whats the url" or "pm me url i will buy" are NOT serious buyers at all.

15. Angelo999

Angelo999 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I'm a serious buyer.

My problem is finding serious sellers. The vast majority of sites for sale that I come across are scams or some key piece of information about the site has been left out or changed to make it seem better than it is.

Most people with sites earing a decent amount with no effort are going to hold on to it unless they need money right away for something. Those that do sell tend to seriously overvalue their site because they say it has "potential".

If you have any sites that are really earning from AdSense and are looking to sell, PM me.

Angelo999, Aug 30, 2009 IP
  16. yakusokutebayo

Best Answers:
    I think you should look at flippa for these types of sellers. Not to say that there won't be scammers there (they're everywhere anyway) but at least it's filtered out a great lot. I know some people who fake info's when they're selling a site, i was so naive when i first started selling websites, i thought everyone was as honest as me.

But i can assure you, i am a serious seller, and i've NEVER fake stats or info's when selling a website. Not even once. But i don't have a site to sell right now. Maybe soon. ;)

yakusokutebayo, Aug 31, 2009 IP
  17. 500ml

500ml Peon

Best Answers:
    I have noticed that too, even at Flippa, if you spend some time and figure out what's really going on, you will notice that the majority of sites for sale are not only garbage but with fake bids and sales, and the ones that actually look legit, don't sell for very much, test it out yourself, and you will see.

As long as it looks like there are sales going on, new people will keep on making listings, and Flippa will keep on collecting listing fees.

I'm not saying there are no legit transactions, but sadly it looks like they are in the minority.
    Still Flippa is a great place that can be leverage for other things, and that is what seems to be going on.

500ml, Sep 1, 2009 IP
  18. gummybear

gummybear Member

Best Answers:
    I am also looking to buy but most of the sites seem like pump and dumps. They're new sites with 1-2 months of traffic/revenue and they want 8x monthly revenue or something like that. On the internet, these sites may not even last 8 months to recuperate the buying cost. Another red flag is people who don't have Google Analytics.

gummybear, Sep 1, 2009 IP
  19. AMac08

AMac08 Peon

Best Answers:
    I appreciate some of the feedback I have had from people on this subject.

I have an interest in this topic, and understand the frustrations with sellers and buyers alike as the company I work with deals with both.

Some of the posters have already said this, but you learn from experience when it comes to this. The best advice I could give to you, is do your due diligence. Go through the numbers, check out itrader's try and get a feel for who you are dealing with. Try and get a real name as well, if the person is legit, they shouldn't mind giving you their name, I certainly don't mind and often sign my personal messages on this forum with my name.

Who.is searches are also good ways of finding out more about who you are dealing with. Also, you can buy some excellent site selling contract templates as well. If you are a serious buyur and/or a serious seller, it might be an idea to use contracts in your sales to offer yourself extra protection. Granted, because of jurisdictional issues, they aren't always effective, but useful to have in some cases, even if it's just a template for one.

Due diligence, and clear terms of sale. Thats my best advice for finding and dealing with serious buyers and sellers.

Theres been some great information in this thread and a good discussion of the topic. Thanks to the OP for starting it up.

AMac08, Sep 1, 2009 IP
  20. Hagen

Hagen Peon

Best Answers:
    Haha yeah. They have traffic stats in their ad, but no way of tracking traffic. :) Unless they use some other tracking solution.

Hagen, Sep 1, 2009 IP