1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are People Actually Buying?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by 500ml, Aug 26, 2009.

I have seen a lot of postings in the BTS section of the Forum, from people expressing interest in buying websites that make at least $1 a day with adsense etc....

But most of these don't look like serious buyers (for various reasons), are people actually buying these types of sites or are they just fishing for info, what do you think? Have you had any success selling any such site?

500ml, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  2. avikz

avikz Peon

Best Answers:
    Obviously...but serious buyers are really numbered..

avikz, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  3. fireurimagination

fireurimagination Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well I haven't sold any such site but I do believe there is a demand for such sites and rightly so, my guess is buyer will be looking for a PR2 or so site with original content and minimal income, which is bound to grow as the sites mature and the rates which they willing to pay won't pinch them a lot too

fireurimagination, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  4. bigtime2

bigtime2 Peon

Best Answers:
    Im sure they are selling. If people are asking about them that means they are in demand.

bigtime2, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  5. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yes i did agree with you.
    Last time i posted my website to sell and received a lot of reply but ended up no sell.
    But there actually have some people who will buy it if you lucky enough.

mentos, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  6. Sensei.Design

Sensei.Design Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    people are really buying this sites if the price is right. Most of them are Websiteflippers making money that way

Sensei.Design, Aug 27, 2009 IP
  7. Seqqa

Seqqa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If your more switch on and have the capital to buy there should be more choose as people are forced to sell up and they will be MASSIVELY under valued cause of the down turn.

Seqqa, Aug 27, 2009 IP
  8. webcosmo

webcosmo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Lot of people do buy, although I would not trust on those earning reports.

webcosmo, Aug 27, 2009 IP
  9. bobchrist

bobchrist Active Member

Best Answers:
    Possibly they might be knowing the tricks how to monetize such site for better revenue. :)

bobchrist, Aug 27, 2009 IP
  10. margulies

margulies Peon

Best Answers:
    This is true.

If you consistantly make $1 a day with adsense all you have to do is buy the site, go into the guts of it, figure out how they did it and then scale up.

Consider it a educational investment.

Personally I think adsense is dead unless you have 800 websites.:confused:

margulies, Aug 27, 2009 IP
  11. 500ml

500ml Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks everyone for your comments,
    some of you say you are sure they are selling\buying, others say one has to be lucky, im not really sure myself

but lets say i have a quality website making $1\day, how much is fair value to sell it quickly, what would be the minimum you would sell it for? And if you are a buyer how much would you buy it for? considering only the adsense revenue of course, since that is your primary criteria of interest.

500ml, Aug 27, 2009 IP
  12. jackandjerry

jackandjerry Peon

Best Answers:
    you may sell the site for the 8 years revenue value. let's say the site makes $30/month , then $30x12x8= 2880$

jackandjerry, Aug 27, 2009 IP
  13. nishant.soni

nishant.soni Active Member

Best Answers:
    iTraders shud answer ur questions :)

nishant.soni, Aug 27, 2009 IP
  14. SCLocal

SCLocal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @margulies: Adsense isn't dead, you just how to know how to maximize the effectiveness and you don't need 800 sites to make it worth while, instead try to optimize just a single site, if you have quality content and the ads are blended and targeted well enough you will get your click-thrus.

@500ml: Usually when selling a site the owner does 3 months revenue + or -. A 1 dollar a day adsense will get you $30-90 in my experience. If you are making a buck of one of your sites per day by all means keep it and work with it. With a little hard work, research and the right optimization you'll get the clicks you are looking for.

Good luck

SCLocal, Aug 27, 2009 IP
  15. lifeplayer

lifeplayer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well, i can say it is big number of trade happening at DP BST section. I buy about 5 websites from DP BST section before.

lifeplayer, Aug 27, 2009 IP
  16. Bohra

Bohra Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yes many people do buy depends on the site and what u price it

Bohra, Aug 27, 2009 IP
  17. phillipmarlow

phillipmarlow Peon

Best Answers:
    Simple economics : )

phillipmarlow, Aug 28, 2009 IP
  18. AMac08

AMac08 Peon

Best Answers:
    The issue I have come across on this website is that there are very few "serious" buyers on this website. A lot of people want something for next to nothing or close to it.

The valuation given by JackandJerry stikes me as insane. In business, generally speaking you would sell a small business for around 3-5 years of profit. Thats profit NOT revenue. Thats three or five years as well, and not 8! If the company were to be larger and trading in the millions, you might look at purchasing the company based on 8-10 years PROFIT, not revenue.

The online website marketplace is TOTALLY different to selling a business, and thus the figures are much smaller. Unlike brick and mortar business, online websites and investments carry A LOT of risk, because of the speed of change and develoment on the net. Gor example, a Google slap or change in the Google algorithm can have a profound and some time devastating effect on your income and profit. For this reason, websites are sold for a lot less.

ScLocal's valuation seems to be a pretty good one in my mind to be honest for a website that makes 1 dollar a day. A few months revenue is generally speaking what you can sell it for.

I know so much about this as the company I work with have been involved in making some big purchases online, and we're now looking at buying offline businesses with investor's money. As an example, last year, we purchased one website for around 150K USD. It was making around 20-25k a month, but it's profit was actually around 10-14k a month. If we had bought that site for 8 years worth of revenue or profit, we could have paid millions for it, for a website which might not be popular in a couple of years, or may be adversaly affected by changes in the way Google ranks importance etc.

Thats my 2 cents. If you are making a buck a day with a website, 30-90 dollars i a good price range. I once setup a blog with A LOT of 100% unique quality articles that I had researched and written myself. I had a good keyword rich domain name for it as well. Unfortunately, I hadn't monetized it. When I went to sell it here, some one offered to buy it off me for a dollar, and the other offers weren't much better. I was a n00b back then, but we all live and learn. :)

Hope that is helpful.

AMac08, Aug 28, 2009 IP
  19. colin104

colin104 Peon

Best Answers:
    AMac08, I couldn't agree more with you.

colin104, Aug 28, 2009 IP
  20. tradedemon

tradedemon Active Member

Best Answers:
    There are definitely people buying but there are also alot of people who are just fishing for info and ideas. The problem with the whole [WTB] threads is that most of these guys are looking for total bargains.

Now although I can't blame them as even I myself have purchased sites at bargain rates due to the seller being desperate for cash, what i can say is that most of these guys are going over the top with the excessive WTB threads which in most cases I don't feel are legit.

tradedemon, Aug 28, 2009 IP