1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can I Use Images From photobucket.com In My Website For Free ?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by greekhand, Aug 24, 2009.

Hi,

Until today I bought Images from IStockPhoto ... I just saw http://photobucket.com/ .

I read their T.O.S -> From what I understood (clause 6.1 ) - When the user upload a public image - He agrees that every 1 can use this image ...

Can I just download any public image from photobucket and use it in my website for FREE ?? Without asking any 1 ?
    Also can I create screen savers from those images ?

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
    greekhand, Aug 24, 2009 IP
  2. Bohra

Bohra Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If u read "When the user upload a public image - He agrees that every 1 can use this image ..."

when u upload then yes u can

Bohra, Aug 24, 2009 IP
  3. greekhand

greekhand Active Member

Best Answers:
    But if he uploads a copyrighted image ? Let say that I upload image from CNN's website ... I guess that other people cannot use it , right ?

greekhand, Aug 24, 2009 IP
  4. Bohra

Bohra Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    This could even happen when u buy a image from some site cant it ? well chances in this case are more. i dont think many ppl mind as long as the images arent company logos and brand names

Bohra, Aug 24, 2009 IP
  5. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Don't use images from photobucket - or any place else that you can't verify the owner gave permission. You are liable for images you put on your site - even if you mistakenly thought you had permission.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
    mjewel, Aug 24, 2009 IP
  6. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I think you meant can't. mjewel has correctly told you not to rely on any image where you can't verify that the image owner has given permission for its use.

browntwn, Aug 24, 2009 IP
  7. AdultMoney

AdultMoney Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess you can't

AdultMoney, Aug 24, 2009 IP
  8. remember123

remember123 Peon

Best Answers:
    IMO you can sue them provided that you mention that all copyrights of the images belongs to the original owners ;)

remember123, Aug 24, 2009 IP
  9. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Did you mean "use" instead of "sue"?

Either way, your advice is wrong and should be ignored. Why do people offer legal advice when they don't know the law?

browntwn, Aug 24, 2009 IP
  10. AaronJan

AaronJan Peon

Best Answers:
    Apparently you can. The Photobucket T.O.S. clearly states that the images can be copied by anyone and displayed on any other website.

I would take care with it though. If a Photobucket user uploads a copyrighted image they don't own, and you then use it, you can still be sued by the original owner. You cannot go to court and say, well, someone else uploaded it to Photobucket, so I thought it was free.

AaronJan, Aug 25, 2009 IP
  11. OnInternetBusinessGuide

OnInternetBusinessGuide Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I believe the answer is yes, is it depends "how to use it". It depends of the license: Public domain, personal use, commercial use, etc.

In general, I would say to be really careful. Photobucket cannot guarantee itself that the images are not stolen from somewhere else. That would be identical for any website. The company did not take the pictures itself. The risk is greater. That would not be my first choice. I suggest that contact Photobucket to be sure.

OnInternetBusinessGuide, Aug 25, 2009 IP