1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Sites being heavily penalized by Google

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by WabbyTwax, Jun 21, 2006.

1. BlueDevilMedia

BlueDevilMedia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why do I feel like not only will my site be banished from Google forever but also that I'll be banned from Adsense as well with this letter? I'll wait for my YPN invite before sending this one!

BlueDevilMedia, Aug 7, 2006 IP
  2. maha

maha Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Assuming you're not a repeat offender, you should be able to see your site back in SERP in about 4-5 weeks.

maha, Aug 7, 2006 IP
  3. SEO Jeff

SEO Jeff Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yesterday I noticed a 2 Google referal's in my log in over a month. I took the coop off my site about 2 weeks ago but just recently sent another reinclusion request 3 days ago and yesterday I got 2 Google searchers to my site instead of 0 so something maybe in the works for my site. Although I do not see myself I think something is cooking at the Googleplex to restore my site.

SEO Jeff, Aug 7, 2006 IP
  4. afactory

afactory Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just need to wait ...

afactory, Aug 7, 2006 IP
  5. afactory

Best Answers:
    So, one month after reinclusion was sent, still no traffic changes ...
    Any other "successful" stories here?

afactory, Sep 7, 2006 IP
  6. Ferrarislave

Ferrarislave Peon

Best Answers:
    My friend who runs Myspacesupport.com used co-op for 5 months. Got banned towards the end of July from Google he then filed a reinclusion request 3 weeks later he was #1 in the SERPS for all this terms again.

Ferrarislave, Sep 7, 2006 IP
  7. afactory

Best Answers:
    Sounds great, but not for me.

afactory, Sep 7, 2006 IP
  8. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    It does seem pretty random. Google unpenalized one of sites and won't unpenalize another site of mine.

Google's erratic behavior is just exactly what you don't want in a search engine. From a search engine, you want good results, every time.

Will.Spencer, Sep 8, 2006 IP
    williamjack likes this.
  9. williamjack

williamjack Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Agreed.1 of my site www.katrina-kaif.net was using coop.It was in first 10 result for keyword katrina kaif.But when coop turns bad my site was nowhere for keyword katrina kaif.But know it is in top 11 for that keyword in Google.And top in Yahoo and MSn also.

williamjack, Sep 8, 2006 IP
  10. afactory

Best Answers:
    williamjack, did you sent reinclusion?

afactory, Sep 8, 2006 IP
  11. andheresjohnny

andheresjohnny Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've tried to read just about everything I could in the Co-op Advertising Network forum. The threads already cover damn near everything I could think to ask.

I am still curious on one point though.. the webmasters who say that their sites were penalized by Google:

Were any of these penalized sites having their ads shown on the coop, but were NOT actually hosting any ads? And if so, how much weight was being pointed at it (1000, 5000, 50,000)?

The reason I ask is that it seems to me that if Google was in fact penalizing coop websites, and I had a site that was not hosting coop ads, and did not have an unreasonably large amount of weight being pointed at it, that the site would be safe.

I'd appreciate any comments you'd like to offer.

Thank you.

andheresjohnny, Sep 8, 2006 IP
  12. Blue

Blue Peon

Best Answers:
    Just to add my experience with the COOP.

We ran the Coop on 50% of my sites as an experiment. It did work pretty well with the MSN and I did see a rise in backlinks from Google.

However, in August 2006; the sites that ran the Coop were basically eliminated from Yahoo and Google. The website's index page was even dropped in the SERPS to the 7 or 8 page for my own domains.

No big deal. I just eliminated the Coop ads.

However, when I first signed up for the ads I posted this about how Google or any other Search engine could target users of the Coop.

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=22344

Well, now I see something which may be a method they could possibly - repeat possibly -- use to punish Coop users.

The ads show on the bottom of many coop sites has a link directly to Digital Point.

Examples found here: http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20

1) "Advertising" - http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/ad-network/
    2) "Free Advertising" - http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/ad-network/
    3) "Internet Advertising: http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/ad-network/
    4) "Buy Anything On eBay" http://www.digitalpoint.com/ads/ebay.php

Blue, Sep 10, 2006 IP
  13. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    And why would Google punish a site for linking to DigitalPoint.com (a PR7 website that gets crazy traffic from Google)? :confused:

It really seems to me that people are just grasping at straws here. All websites fluctuate in the serps. If a site goes up, people like to attribute it to their genius SEO skills. If it drops, they're just looking for something to blame (insert coop here). :rolleyes: If Google was singling out use of the coop as negative, it would be VERY easy for them to penalize EVERYONE THAT USES THE COOP, not a random site here and there.

ViciousSummer, Sep 10, 2006 IP
  14. MaxS

MaxS Peon

Best Answers:
    Question: For all these people that were 'banned' because of Coop (or so they think), did you have Coop on your site?

How could Google penalize you for having Coop weight pointing at your site? It's illogical. Think about it: a competitor could simply point weight at your site to get you banned? I think not.

You should be safe pointing weight at a site which doesn't have coop ads on it.

And for those who submitted a reinclusion request, how did you do it? They took down the form?

MaxS, Sep 10, 2006 IP
  15. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Ummm, well this is just an opinion but you can also get in hot water pointing too much (Google decides what is too much) weight to a site. This can/will result in a penalty due to a suspicious link burst. This is not limited to COOP though, you can buy, use coop and even develop links faster than Google deems appropriate and algo perceives it as synthetic link growth.

H

Homer, Sep 10, 2006 IP
  16. Blue

Blue Peon

Best Answers:
    1) If you read my post you would see that the Digital Point urls are pointing directly to the Coop URL and redirecting to Ebay. Maybe that could be the problem.

a) http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/ad-network/
    b) http://www.digitalpoint.com/ads/ebay.php goes to -> http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-1321585-5463217?sid=an-US-0910-145928&loc=http://www.ebay.com/

I am not looking to blame anyone. Just passing along what happened in my particular case. I don't deal in emotions just stats.

If you read my post, I clearly stated that the Coop did benefit the sites I experimented with. However, in August 2006; all my Coop sites took a hit in the Serps at the exact same time whereas none of my Non-Coop sites had a deleterious effect.

I have been making websites since 1998 and running my owner server since 2000. So, I have been around the block a little.

If you don't like these conclusions that's fine.

But nothing ventured nothing gained. I wanted to see if Coop would help long term but it didn't for me.

Blue, Sep 10, 2006 IP
  17. MaxS

MaxS Peon

Best Answers:
    Even though that's part of Google's patent, I have a hard time believing using coop weight on a site & not displaying coop ads will have any negative effect.:

MaxS, Sep 10, 2006 IP
  18. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Hi Max, it really doesn't matter to me what theories you choose to believe. I'm just throwen it out there to take or leave. I like posting here because of the intellect of the members and diversity of opinions. My suggestion is you try an experiment, then and find out for yourself.

Hopefully you'll share the results :).

H

Homer, Sep 10, 2006 IP
  19. MaxS

MaxS Peon

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately, I don't have the sites to experiment with. I have already had one site penalized - whether or not it's because of Coop, we'll never know.

I'm posting here for the exact same reason. I'm collecting opinions and other's experience in order to determine whether or not I should give it another go.

MaxS, Sep 10, 2006 IP
    Homer likes this.
  20. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    My initial response was going to be simply "kwewl" but then I remembered reading a thread today from YSF1 about short changing responses to increase postcount so I'm just trying to stretch it out here! Once again kwewl ;)

H

Homer, Sep 10, 2006 IP