1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why can't Google directory ditch DMOZ???

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by peppy, Aug 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I'm sure many here agree that Google directory should make it more fair for webmasters to get into their directory. The problem right now is the only way to get into the Google directory is through DMOZ.

So what if there is only one editor in your business category never appear? Then you would NEVER get your site listed in the Google directory.

Also, what about the self-favoring editors running your lucrative category always adding their own sites and keeping out the competitors? They basically get that HUGE advantage over every one else. Rather than starting at the bottom of the mountain like everyone else, they get a ride half way up with those powerful links from BOTH Google directory and DMOZ.

I have a thread going on at the Google forum in an attempt to get Google to make some other ways of getting into the Google directory: http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Webmasters/thread?tid=30314c43e0bb30cf&hl=en

Maybe some of you could add your input because Google isn't responding and I think they need to do something about this. A huge business like Google shouldn't be building their directory on a "volunteer" basis where some favored sites can get in and others can NEVER get in.

What business does corrupted DMOZ have in putting their fingers in Google. The actions of DMOZ effects the number one source of traffic and "authority" links (Google). Many people depend on Google for making a living, especially in this economy when no one can find real jobs. DMOZ shouldn't have ANY business in interfering with that by blocking out certain people or permanently banning their sites from DMOZ (and more importantly the Google directory) because they want to buy a way in to get more business exposure in the Google directory or simply because an editor "doesn't like you".

Google needs to wake up. The whole concept of using DMOZ as the ONLY way into the Google directory is way out of date and it is not innovated and modernized like the rest of Google. They need to pave some new innovated avenues to get into their directory besides DMOZ.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
    peppy, Aug 22, 2009 IP
    Ibn Juferi likes this.
  2. Ibn Juferi

Ibn Juferi Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with you. The Google Directory should be following a model similar to Yahoo Directory or BOTW, i.e. standing on its own, and not relying on a dinosaur resource where you submit like a gazillion times and yet to be listed as of this date.

Ibn Juferi, Aug 22, 2009 IP
    robjones likes this.
  3. peppy

peppy Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is EXACTLY the point I was trying to make at my Google forum post: http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Webmasters/thread?tid=30314c43e0bb30cf&hl=en

If they are going to stick with DMOZ, they should have some other means to get into the Google directory like a paid submission. Another thing they could do is use the same listings from BOTW or Yahoo instead of DMOZ. Either way, Google can probably make a profit by charging some fess by themselves.

Why keep using DMOZ data, which is full of "link rot" and EXTREMELY limiting new editors to maintain the directory. It's like they are drowning themselves in the process of keeping all the outsides from editing. Only a product of corruption, hence poor outdated quality for the Google directory.

I could care less about the link in DMOZ, I just want to get into the Google directory.

peppy, Aug 22, 2009 IP
    robjones likes this.
  4. Michaelr

Michaelr Peon

Best Answers:
    Why do we bother with dmoz anyway?

Michaelr, Aug 22, 2009 IP
  5. caprichoso

caprichoso Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree. Google shouldn't be using DMOZ data. We are talking about that in DMOZ forum too.

If you go to Google directory starting from Google home page you will find out it's not easy to find the link. What tells me that Google is leaving the entire idea of Directory. Directories seem to be dying.

caprichoso, Aug 22, 2009 IP
  6. peppy

peppy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly, either let everyone have an equal opportunity of getting into the Google directory or remove the directory completely.

peppy, Aug 22, 2009 IP
  7. cngamemart

cngamemart Guest

Best Answers:
    nearly not using google directory,so I don't have such troubles :D

cngamemart, Aug 22, 2009 IP
    robjones likes this.
  8. newbie25

newbie25 Banned

Best Answers:
    This wld be the perfect solution by which mean everybody will hav equal chance of Google dir listing. I mean its annoying that in the era of internet where everything is lightning fast, ppl are struggling to get in to the no. 1 traffic source's directory since years!!!...just because, the transport is 10 years old and corrupted!

newbie25, Aug 22, 2009 IP
    robjones likes this.
  9. frederrick

frederrick Active Member

Best Answers:
    Perhaps it got something to do with Google internal management or deal with DMOZ that lead to the current arrangement. I am pretty sure there is a reason why Google use DMOZ as a benchmark... :)

frederrick, Aug 23, 2009 IP
  10. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Excellent idea, then you could bitch to them instead of us. :D Kinda strange that they don't answer your inquiries and satisfy your demands, that could be a problem.

The truth is, editors are volunteers who work for free, and the Directory makes those results free to anyone who wants to use the data. The Directory has nothing at all to do with Google, or vice versa, they just download our free data to use, just as other search engines and other directories do.

I'm sure they probably crawl other directories and maybe other search engines too.

The only relationship between Dmoz and Google is that they use the data we collect, just like anyone else can (with attribution). I think it would be wonderful if they stopped copying the Directory, and created their own, it certainly wouldn't change what we do, or how we do it, though, but then who would you blame for your own failure? :D

I mean, let's face it fellas, if your business depends on a directory listing, don't you think maybe it's your business that sucks? lol My business does just fine with no website at all.

crowbar, Aug 23, 2009 IP
    discover likes this.
  11. peppy

peppy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah that's kind of funny, I originally posted this in the Google forum here at DP but a moderator moved it over here. Indeed Google is the target audience of this post.

peppy, Aug 23, 2009 IP
  12. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey, peppy, Google isn't stupid. They can copy the Dmoz directory, use none of their own manpower to create their own directory, and we take all the heat. Let me know if they ever answer you, but good luck on that. lol

crowbar, Aug 23, 2009 IP
  13. peppy

peppy Active Member

Best Answers:
    No problem, I'll let you know.

Don't you think Google could make a profit though if they followed an approach similar to Yahoo and BOTW? I'm sure they could make a few million bucks profit out of it and find some of the manpower to do it. I mean, it's Google were talking about!

peppy, Aug 23, 2009 IP
  14. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    I use the Google tool bar/search myself. I love it.

Yes, you would think that they'd make some big bucks doing that, but they are primarily search focused. Setting up a Directory organization requires an experienced workforce, servers, tech people, accountants, security, lawyers, ect on a massive scale, and they would have to deal with the same issues we deal with, so there might not be a whole lot of difference in how things are done.

It would make more sense to just buy the ODP outright, but then its whole purpose would change, and most of the current editors would probably quit, and you'd still have to train a new workforce. Some could probably be hired, but not enough.

I wouldn't be interested, I already own a real world business, and do this for fun. :)

I suppose you could split the Directory, and make the commecial part a paid Directory, and have the rest remain volunteer oriented. That would seem sensible, but it's way above my humble paygrade to figure out.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
    crowbar, Aug 23, 2009 IP
  15. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    How many of you complaining about Google.directory being nothing more then a DMOZ clone actually contacted google and complained?

Your voice here is heard by a small handful of people, and chances are none of them google employees.

If you all speak your mind to the machine itself, then our collective voices can and will be heard.

http://www.google.com/contact/ is the contact page for the Big G...

Post on the google groups and the google blogs complaining about how Google itself is supporting duplicate content, and point out the scriptlance issues with paid links... use the google guidelines to your own advantage when making these complaints.

If you are ambitious enough even clickety the Business Proposals link and offer up your version of the Yahoo Directory, or the BTOW mindset....but sitting around DP and complaining does nothing but make posting here funner.

Qryztufre, Aug 23, 2009 IP
  16. allisonables

allisonables Peon

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is established.

allisonables, Aug 23, 2009 IP
  17. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    And I'm sure they'll want to correct the situation right away, you all being such an important group of paying customers, an all. Oh right, you don't pay Google either, do you. :)

crowbar, Aug 23, 2009 IP
  18. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Peppy; aren't you the one that impersonated your competitor to try and offer money for a listing in order to get them banned from DMOZ? What does that say about you?

Agent000, Aug 23, 2009 IP
  19. caprichoso

Best Answers:
    I don't know how familiar are you with Google. Did you know they give you 7.3GB with your email account for free? In fact, not charging their users is their prominent feature. As the posts go by and the threads grow, you are running out of arguments. You can make such statement with several companies but not with Google. :)

caprichoso, Aug 23, 2009 IP
  20. caprichoso

Best Answers:
    I guess you have rock solid proof, don't you?

caprichoso, Aug 23, 2009 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.