1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Any SP Refugees in the House?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Thermit, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's good to hear :)
    I can't believe that they're charging at all, it's the marketplace that made sitepoint grow, hitting the users that made them popular is pretty low.

MattUK, Aug 3, 2006 IP
  2. lpstong

lpstong Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I can understand charging for certain sections. But not every single section they have and at such prices. The prices they set are not meager prices either. They are pretty pricey I would say.

1. $19.95 to sell a website(that is to much - this isnt Sedo or some escrow service please)
    2. $5 to sell your domain
    3. $9.95 to advertise your services.
    4. $20 to list a contest you are having :eek:
    5. $10 for looking to hire
    6. $1 to trade your services :eek: Omg really now for link exchanges, post exchanges and so on.
    7. $5 to sell your template - ok reasonable
    8. $5 wanting to buy - Ok this one just made me grab my sides from laughing so hard. Still trying to catch my breath on this one.
    9. $10 sell your turnkey site
    10. $10 to sell your ad space - hmmmmmmmmmm ok :confused:
    11. $20 to list your web hosting deals - outrageous, I remember it when it use to be something like $4.95

I would say someone is in real dire need of some $$$$$$$$$$$$. I know they sell books, articles, tshirts, mugs and more. But hey people are paying out for it. Just at what cost should I ask? Is it really worth it at those prices? I just wonder if they have some things in common with the hike in the gas prices in the US

lpstong, Aug 3, 2006 IP
  3. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It is looking like they're trying to monetise the site for all it's worth at the moment. That's their perogative to be fair. Though they'll lose users if people feel like they're being squeezed for every cent.

I was over there the other day and all the ads and advertorials really got on my nerves.

MattUK, Aug 3, 2006 IP
  4. kiviniar

kiviniar Notable Member

Best Answers:

Hey guys be sweet.....this surely deserves some green :) :) :)

kiviniar, Aug 3, 2006 IP
  5. Pammer

Pammer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks God! first i was Join Dp, then i was also go there... but there big avatar and big space in messsage box, which i dont like that.

Wonder, there are many users always online there... but there was less posting as compred to dp. so i leave that place.....

lol but there are some intersting ebook or pdf books abt manything... but they are just introdutions.

Pammer, Aug 3, 2006 IP
  6. Creature

Creature Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Me too.

"Refugee" hehe

Creature, Aug 3, 2006 IP
  7. colonel99

colonel99 Peon

Best Answers:
    I've got no real training in coding, and I learned a lot over there. For that, I'm grateful.

But it's a very technical forum, and sometimes the constant friggin lingo was a bit much. Almost like listening to people try and impress each other sometimes.

But the constant in-your-face ads were what made me say goodbye. And I think some of their mods are on meth.

colonel99, Aug 3, 2006 IP
  8. Matt Mickiewicz

Matt Mickiewicz Peon

Best Answers:
    I reckon you know you're creating value when one of your competitors chooses to spend $20.00 with you because they know you'll get them more money than their own boards (v7n.com): http://www.sitepoint.com/marketplace/auction/661
    ($24,000 offer received through sitepoint.com).

As for contests, most small business owners find them to be a fantastic deal (we just got featured on TV a month ago). $20 + $100 to have a dozen or more logo concepts from web designers around the world and you only pay the $100 if you're happy with one of the designs, is a good value proposition in the eyes of many. It sure beats picking a company from the phone book (or even eLance) and being forced to pay whether you like the results or not.

Of course, it's a free market, and anyone is free to post their ads/contests/link requests wherever they think they will get the greatest response or the most money.

Matt Mickiewicz, Aug 3, 2006 IP
  9. NaSh123

NaSh123 Peon

Best Answers:
    I am a SP member. But I don't do any business there other than sell sites :)

NaSh123, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  10. *Mayank*

*Mayank* Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am a member at both places.

I first joined DP and then SP....

I like DP more because, its better place.

SP has crapped over due to marketplace changes (the new $$ making scheme where you pay to advertise) and post count off at various places.

Most of my sales are from here. I love it :D

Anyway, welcome

*Mayank*, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  11. Thermit

Thermit Peon

Best Answers:
    With regards the the SP marketplace forums I might do things a little differently...

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287406 ;)

...but SitePoint is still an awesome marketplace, even if the TYS has slowed. I've only sold a couple of sites, but I sold them there and it was great. And like Matt said, the contests are a good resource too. I'm sure I will continue to participate at SP. In fact, I can do nothing but thank SP for this kick which got me over here too. :) I know that some others are pissed, but to me it's all good... ;)

Thermit, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  12. *Mayank*

*Mayank* Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yah.
    SP is a good place, I agree. But just due to this $$ changes..... things have slowed.
    There are still so many webmasters and so market place continues to rock.
    But, soon it will lose its importance and it will degrade slowly as if SP will ask others to pay, people start looking for other free ways and they come across sites like DP.... so obvious.. SP loses importance.
    I wish they come back to non pay schemes.!

*Mayank*, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  13. Matt Mickiewicz

Matt Mickiewicz Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all the feedback guys.

The best way to look at any business decision isn't always how much money you can save by going elsewhere -- sometimes you have to ask how much more you can make.

The SitePoint MarketPlace got featured in the June issue of "Business 2.0" magazine precisely because of the high selling prices and the prominent Websites that get sold there - everything from SaveToby.com and Ensight.org to BlogExplosion.com which went for $100K+.

Matt Mickiewicz, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  14. lpstong

lpstong Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hey Mike are we doing a little self promotion for Sitepoint there? A link to sitepoint in your sig and a link to some site being sold there. Hmmmmmmmm makes me wonder even with the advertising you say it has gotten why the promo here? lmao.................. anyways...............

lpstong, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  15. Nintendo

Nintendo ♬ King of da Wackos ♬

Best Answers:
    Want one more suggestion?? In Advertise Your Services, let people reply to threads so we can ask/answer questions about services that are posted. Since the thread does not get pushed to the top when people reply, there is no way people would be able to bump there own thread. Not being able to post questions or when we make our own ad, answer questions is really stupid.

Nintendo, Aug 5, 2006 IP
  16. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    imo DP has more active trade market than SP. :)

Mong, Aug 5, 2006 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  17. mattmdesign

mattmdesign Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Awesome post Skribblez!

mattmdesign, Aug 5, 2006 IP
    Nintendo likes this.
  18. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    haha :)
    Nice way to pinch them.

Mong, Aug 5, 2006 IP
  19. Matt Mickiewicz

Matt Mickiewicz Peon

Best Answers:
    We allow questions/replies via private message where negotiations and and questions can be answered with confidentiality.

The ad posters have told us that they would prefer this, rather than having a free-for-all in their paid threads.

Matt Mickiewicz, Aug 7, 2006 IP
  20. lpstong

lpstong Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am sure like all the other threads of asking about improvements to your forum was eventually closed down after 2 days and over 500 posts of some form of complaints.

Well Matt, if anything atleast you can keep replying to all the threads about SP free of charge and to be viewed in public instead of private. Or to not have the thread closed because of to many complaints about SP changes.

So Matt do you like your freedom here at DP? And the fact the majority of posts about SP were nice regardless of the protest of the charges on everything.

One more thing I think that SP forgot to charge for - Logging in. How much would that go for?

I am a SP user. I do agree that many of the areas needed cleaning up of the spamming and rude comments by some members. Therefore I can see some of the charges. Just some of the charges are overboard and overpriced. And yes maybe share in some of the wealth of some of the user there that sell items on your forum. But the charges to ad for them are just pricey I would say at the least.

lpstong, Aug 8, 2006 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.