1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Obama Approval Rating Falling!

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Corwin, Feb 24, 2009.

1. worldman

worldman Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not really gonna continue arguing on this point except I will say that maybe you should go back and read the article like I did. Rasmussen's polls can be very tricky if you do not understand them.

Peace Out.

worldman, Aug 14, 2009 IP
  2. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    World - I'm sorry, but I have read everything at issue here, and you still can't make 49% (or 51%) + 66 2/3% = 100%, and there's nothing tricky at all about Rasmussen's polls.

Now, not sure what you'd hope would be the result of saying it's a case of my not understanding Rasmussen's polls, but I guess I'd respectfully suggest you re-read my post, to see where it seems you've gone astray.

Although I've designed quantitative social research (historical comparative research, social "thermometer" assays), if somehow I've colossally spaced on this one, I am utterly willing to admit my error, as I indicated to you, sincerely. But I'd curious how.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
    northpointaiki, Aug 14, 2009 IP
  3. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Instead of saying go read Rasmussen poll, why don't you try to tell us how did they prove that 51%+66%=100 as mia claims, is this a new kind of "Republican" math? :rolleyes:
    If they have really shown the above or claimed that 1/3 equals to 2/3, indeed it must be a very tricky kind of poll but I hardly doubt that. :rolleyes:
    This discussion is about the stupidity of one person who doesn't understand some one can not have 51% approval rate and in the same time have 66% disgusted with him. ;)

gworld, Aug 14, 2009 IP
  4. worldman

worldman Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You have strongly disagree, disagree, strongly agree and agree. You are mixing up the numbers bro. I read it again.

My above post^^^

worldman, Aug 15, 2009 IP
  5. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    How can you argue with some one who doesn't have anything to say and only like a child continuously claims that he is right with nothing to back it up? :rolleyes:

May be in your and mia's world, 1/3=2/3 and 51%+66%= 100 % but don't destroy Rasmussen credibility by claiming that they believe in the same stupidity. :rolleyes:

gworld, Aug 15, 2009 IP
  6. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    World, honest to god, what are you talking about?

Let me paint it very concisely.

August 10: approve, 49%, disapprove, 51%. Can you please posit how much that adds up to?

Now, on that same day, 39% were "strongly disapproving" of the Prez. It would seem "disgust" and "strongly disapprove" have a better resonance than "disgust" and "disapprove," yes? And because 39% is close to that 2/3 you're looking for, (except it's not, it's 1/3), is it possible a "1" has been simply mistaken for a "2"?

Now, in the "alternate theory": Approve, approve 49%, and "disgusted," 66 2/3%.

Now, 49% and 66 2/3 % is not possible from the same population sample. Do you really wish to continue making the assertion it not only is possible, but that's what we have?

World, I'm sorry, but you're wrong, and your insistence on simply denying, over posting anything resembling a real reply, is not very helpful to your argument. Under any scenario, the numbers don't add up. The numbers are right above you, as I posted. I had hoped that by taking the time to carefully show you how, by the only possible arrangements, it is impossible one can have 1/2 the country hunky dory with the Prez, and at the same time, at best (for your hopes, in terms of your argument), 2/3 of the country are "disgusted"; I had hoped that by the effort, you might laugh, say, "damn, oops" and move on, and thereby gain something from an honest exchange. But out of this, you're response has been nothing but a "well, you're wrong!" and it is obvious we're not going to get anywhere. I won't waste my time any further.

I admire thinking people, of any political stripe - to be honest, the further from my own set of predispositions, so long as it is from an informed and thinking perspective, the better.

I'll leave it there.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
    northpointaiki, Aug 15, 2009 IP
  7. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As I recall, most polls poll registered voters. Rasmussen polls likely voters, which is why Rasmussen is the most popular, accurate, and respected.

Remember, Rasmussen was the most accurate in predicting the results of the 2008 Presidential election!

Corwin, Aug 16, 2009 IP
  8. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    Corwin, not sure if you're responding to the above, but once again, this isn't about the accuracy of Rasmussen's polling. I can also tell you that I've at least been involved, and/or have utilized, polls that queried "likely voters," so it isn't all that unique a construction, at least not in my experience. Let me say this - as to his sampling, Rasmussen seems credible enough; as to his constructions, I did have doubts early on, see, for instance:

With constructions like these, it isn't any wonder why many times, Rasmussen's data has many outliers, when compared to most other polls. Basically, it's called loading your poll - not surprising, as the man was former Prez Bush's campaign consultant. It's been awhile since I've viewed his polling constructions, however.

At any rate, once again, it isn't specifically about Rasmussen's credibility. It is specifically about this flaw, seen on these pages:

According to Rasmussen, 49% approval of Obama, 51% disapproval - and yet "2/3 of the country is disgusted, as shown by Rasmussen's polling."

Or, if you'd like, 49% approval, 39% strong disapproval, and yet "2/3 of the country is disgusted, as shown by Rasmussen's polling."

It's about a very fundamental error; about being confused over some pretty rudimentary stuff - namely, that 1/2 + 2/3 does not add up to a whole; or, if preferred, nor does "39% strongly disapprove" equal "2/3 disgusted."

At the end of the day, if people choose to buy into stuff, instead of what is, I won't sweat about it. It's clear the lustre has worn off the notion that Obama's presidency would yield quick miracles. Now, I don't discount hope as a very real thing - I think of Churchill, and the Blitz, for instance - but the public memory is very fickle, always has been. Ask Louis XVI - ask him once, in 1789, on his being brought back to Paris, a people hopeful of a reasonable, constitutional monarchy; ask him again, in the sweltering weeks of August, 1792.

The blind rightist, preaching a drone's empty message from a place of abject and pitiable ignorance, is equal to the blind leftist, spouting air and platitudes from the same place.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
    northpointaiki, Aug 16, 2009 IP
  9. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:

The thing to realize is that a polls "accuracy" or "popularity" with certain groups, moonbats for instance, is dictated by how closely it resembles their own stance. If it's not on target with their ideology, it must be wrong.

If it's on target, its completely accurate. There is no winning with these people. Reason and logic is dictated by pure emotion and ignorance. It's easier for me to sit back and laugh rather than try to make them see reality.

Mia, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  10. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You realize that both my and north posts were not about accuracy or popularity of the poll but instead about the STUPIDITY of one poster who doesn't know the difference between 1/3 and 2/3 and thinks 66%+49%=100%%, don't you? ;):D

gworld, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  11. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:

See Corwin, this is exactly my point.

Mia, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  12. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Do you mean that you also agree that poster is stupid? :rolleyes:

gworld, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  13. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    What I think of you is not important. I'm fairly certain I'm not the only one that believes it. I think most of your problem stems from the deep rooted sociological, and family issues you have. Again, I'd be more than happy to help in any way possible. :cool:

Mia, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  14. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Are you talking with your friend in the mirror again? ;):rolleyes:

gworld, Aug 17, 2009 IP
    northpointaiki likes this.
  15. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Look, if you do not have any useful to contribute, I would really appreciate it if you just kept your childish comments private or to yourself. I know I am not alone here. ;)

Mia, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  16. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think it was a very useful contribution to teach you that 1/3 and 2/3 are not equal and 49%+66% doesn't equal to 100%. Think that I didn't even charge you for the math lesson. ;):D

gworld, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  17. earlpearl

earlpearl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you are really interested in falling approval ratings, people consistently unhappy with politicians, and an absolute unity in polls wherein regardless of the poll and the time period, the Americans polled regularly feel the same way....check out this review of many polls over a consistent and long period of time....http://www.pollingreport.com/cong_rep.htm.

Looks to me that no matter who is polled or when the polling occurs, Americans find that the Republicans in Congress simply are doing a terribly lousy job.

Disapprove

Unfavorable

Not Favorable.

Any way you want to say it....Americans don't like the job that Republicans in Congress are doing.

earlpearl, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  18. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    The incredibly sad thing here is that a couple of folks continue to miss this extremely basic issue.

This isn't about the accuracy of Rasmussen's polling. I've already noted, seems to me Rasmussen does a decent enough job in his sampling construction, though I also noted, his poll query construction was, at least when I looked at it earlier, pretty grossly loaded.

But once again (and again, and again), it isn't about Rasmussen's accuracy.

It's about the apparent inability to add, or distinguish between a couple of very basic terms. 49% approval + 66 2/3+% "disgusted" cannot add up to 100%; or, if preferred, 39% "strongly disapprove" isn't "more than 2/3 disgusted"; of course, neither is 51% disapprove "more than 2/3 disgusted"; and finally, and perhaps most obvious, "approve" and "strongly approve" are, well, different - sad as it is to to have to say any of this, truly.

No matter how many typical, disingenuous, insulting, truly childish jabs are sent out, it can't change what is.

Strongly Approve: 30%; approve: 49%; disapprove: 51%; strongly disapprove: 39%.

This is astoundingly basic, folks.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
    northpointaiki, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  19. Jackuul

Jackuul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As long as there is no 66% there is no 2/3.

Jackuul, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  20. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    You said nothing useful and you made no contribution. You drove another thread completely off topic and ventured out of bounds like you always do. You've not even bothered to visit the site or at the very least make an attempt to understand how Rasmussen gathers and calculates it polling data. If you actually did you would not be attempting to segway the conversation into a debate over percentages. You do not know what you are talking about, PERIOD....

For once in your life READ. You are making a complete ass of yourself as usual.

Mia, Aug 17, 2009 IP