1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Feature Thread Sort Order

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by digitalpoint, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Love*

Love* Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Love*, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  2. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Rather than report it, have her PM a moderator. We can't act on claims like that without proof (for example, I'd need her to email me from an account tied to the site in question to show that she's actually connected to it, among other things). If that pans out, then that kind of thread would be removed (similar to selling warez).

jhmattern, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  3. Love*

Love* Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Ok, thanks. :)

Love*, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  4. Rohit patel

Rohit patel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well it's fun to read this thread, I think it's one of the best thread to enjoy arguments, I feel I am sitting in Court room.:D

But honestly I have no problem with current short order as we have option to change it from User Control Panel and many people are now doing same thing so give some time and most of serious buyers and sellers will change their settings! You may put sticky in BST Section so it will alert many people who only come to DP for BST. For those who fears that thread will not come up and other things, I agree with them. But honestly, I am doing this from last 2 years. You can check almost all my Sales thread have 0 Replies except few ones but yet I am doing good business here at DP even those thread lies on lower pages! Best example about this I am still getting order for 399 Days old sales thread with 30th July 2008 last post in that thread! This is just example I am not saying it is work for all. I know many service provider have sales drop problems but best thing is just wait for while, things will be normal.

One thing which DP team can do is put sticky about this in BST section, I am sure many people will do changes as soon as they found it.:)

Just $0.02.:D

Rohit patel, Aug 10, 2009 IP
    pro.seods likes this.
  5. haroldleetexas

haroldleetexas Peon

Best Answers:
    The DP newbies wud know nothing about the sort settings. I think that the B/S/T will slowly become a failure. Already some of my friends have started looking for other forums to sell their domains as they have experienced a tremendous loss. I hope that the mods understand the users and bring things back to normal asap.

haroldleetexas, Aug 14, 2009 IP
  6. Nemanja

Nemanja Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is great post very similar to my thinking!!!

Because of their stupidity they will loose more and more great members which where doing great things not only to DP members but to people in poor countries which Shawn and mods are trying to eliminate from the DP, because they are "scam of the world".

Like he said : "paypal did it", can you belive that their rollmodel is paypal and all crappy multi national companies??? Can't believe these spoiled kids...

Shawn:
    "As far as Paypal (or other large countries) cutting out customers or potential income, they do it all the time. Many sites don't allow certain countries to use their services. Paypal as an example has restrictions on their services in countries like India, and completely don't allow it's use in other countries. It's all a cost of doing business... if the cost outweighs the gain, you trim the fat. "

This is what Shawn has wrote:
    "There is no business model here. A business model implies trying to make money. We are not trying to gain customers, we aren't trying to sell anything to anyone, we don't do any consulting work, etc.

And yeah, those stats only makes me want to shut down the BST seeing how much resources those users are taking. There's a resource "cost" for anyone
    (or any thing) looking at the forum. BST users most certainly have the least value overall. The resources they consume (server resources and moderator resources) are being covered by other users. Another perfect example of resources -> gain is MSNBot for MSN & Bing (I've throttled them to be allowed to spider 1 page every 10 seconds at a maximum). The few thousand visitors they were sending per day wasn't worth the resources they were consuming. If I could throttle BST users to 1 page view per minute, I would. "

All I hear from this guy is just complaints and complaints and complaints:
    buhu my resources, buhu my this and buhu my that...

Please stop being so selfish and give people chance to work, make money and put food on the table to many households in the world.

I have already gave you a proposition about me taking over a BST section this will be win-win-win situation for all parties. I will create exact (and even better) replica of BST section on new domain and you just need to redirect all the BST traffic to my new forum, you will even be given one ad spot to put your adsense code on my new forum, so no resources only money coming in. What do you say Shawn? Do we have a deal?? Waiting for the response, so I can start making new forum right now?

Nemanja

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
    Nemanja, Aug 15, 2009 IP
    pro.seods and akki313 like this.
  7. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Hmmmm. So he gives people something for free. They bitch about it. And then they accuse him of being selfish? Yeah. Good job making your case. While it's not likely to actually happen, what you really just did was make the case for shutting BST down.

jhmattern, Aug 15, 2009 IP
  8. Nemanja

Nemanja Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Or you don't understand and don't know what is going on at BST or you are pretending that you don't see that honest members are loosing money every day now.

I don't have to "bitch" because I don't sell anything just buy now and then, but I don't "bitch" for me I'm trying to fight the stupidity for other members sake and ones in the end of the food chain that get that measly buck and manage to live trough another day or week.

What you think that I will cry if BST is going to be shut down :)))), are you for real?? Just as we speak some other forums are growing in new members and they will soon have impact in their marketplace closely like DP was/is in BST if he shutdown the BST section.

Anyway thanks for understanding,
    Nemanja

Nemanja, Aug 15, 2009 IP
    funkymario likes this.
  9. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    And those who are losing are blind to those doing better.

If other forums better meet your own needs, then use them. It's not a difficult concept.

jhmattern, Aug 15, 2009 IP
  10. Love*

Love* Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    & While we're at it, why don't we redirect the whole forum to my site? I'll even give Shawn *2* Adsense spots for his ads, surely this is enough compensation? :) I am bending backwards for him doing him this tremendous favor, so I'm certain he sees this as a very tempting proposition. :)

Love*, Aug 15, 2009 IP
  11. needwork

needwork Peon

Best Answers:
    I was thinking of selling a quality product here on DP, but since the change on B/S/T section, it now seems like a waste of time, and effort. The restrictions on the board have always been to harsh, to my mind. This is also the fault of trigger-happy (trigger as in 'ban') admin. People were getting banned in the B/S/T section, just because they were legitemately answering the questions of their (potential) clients. This change made it even worse. Dunno, what the DP owners are thinking :p. Let's see, whether I get an infraction for this post.

Instead of actually listening to what the community thinks about the change, you are asking them to leave, if they don't like it?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2009
    needwork, Aug 16, 2009 IP
    Nemanja likes this.
  12. Love*

Love* Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You know, it is unfortunate that DP is unable to offer maximum tolerance to its members (which in most cases is supposedly the right way when it comes to dealing with a community this large), and yes we have our own opinions as members on how they run things and we do not always agree with them, yet we have to respect their decisions & trust that everything they do is in this forum's best interest.
    How much we care for this forum will never compare to how much they care for this forum, so rest-assured that they will always make the better choices and will always have the better ideas, & it won't always seem so from our point-of-view, but most likely we're just looking at the small picture.

Love*, Aug 16, 2009 IP
    pro.seods likes this.
  13. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Nope. They're welcome to stay. But if they don't like it and refuse to adapt their business to the free tool provided to them, then they're very welcome to find other outlets that better meet their needs. It's been said numerous times that no one says the changes are definitely going to be permanent, but that you have to give them time before judging them. Other people like the changes. Sorry you don't. But those who begged us to stop the bumping over the last year or so finally got what they want. We did listen to the community. It just took time until Shawn came back before we could implement the change. There is no solution that will make every person happy. And if a tool you're using doesn't work for you, then stop using it or find a way to make it work for you. That's just good business.

jhmattern, Aug 16, 2009 IP
  14. Romanos

Romanos Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I understand how you want the system to work, but with the number of topics being generated here daily, this system doesn't really work that well. The reason why this works on SitePoint Marketplace, is the number of topics generated daily. Maybe you could limit people to make only 1 topic per week (maybe per week per forum?) if you don't want to turn DP Marketplace into a Paid Marketplace?

Or how about being able to bump for $? (Maybe add a DP Credits system w/ Deposits?)

This will actually be helpful for people who use Services section, since re-posting your topic when it gets totally buried is considered as a duplicate thread (Meaning you can only advertise your services one.)

Just my opinion.

~Rom.

Romanos, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  15. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    And given the number of bumps we get daily, the old system didn't work that well (hence the previous complaints that are now addressed).

jhmattern, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  16. Romanos

Romanos Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How about having the same current system, except limiting the number of topics a person can make per week? IMO would reduce lot's of duplicate threads too.

~Rom.

Romanos, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  17. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Probably would, but then we also might get more people thinking that means they're allowed to make a duplicate each week, which they're not. And it would cause problems for people who have to post two threads (for example, we tell Web hosting companies to split things into two threads if any deal is $5 or under - those in freebies, and the others in Web hosting - otherwise the whole thread has to go in freebies). Not saying limits wouldn't help. They very well could. But now that we have more mods on board and are able to stay on top of reports a bit better, give it some time to see how the dupe issues pan out. Reported ones are being cleared out pretty quickly right now, so it might not be as big of an issue anyway even without further changes. But I'm sure if Shawn thinks a limit will help on top of it, he'll add it.

jhmattern, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  18. InFloW

InFloW Peon

Best Answers:
    The ideal situation for the BST section is each user account can only make a thread once a week in each section. Users should not need to post a new topic every single day. The restriction on time obviously could be higher or lower just the idea of a restriction. It would also help with the situation of duplicate topics people post the same thing every day. If they want to waste their one topic a week on the same thing good for them.

I've just given up posting anything in BST as I've done what everyone else does and I get banned. I received two identical infractions last year and was banned for a year. Other users doing the same never got banned. I recently got banned for duplicate threads yet reporting about 30 topics doing the same thing thus far and not a single user received a ban. If there were no moderator judgment calls in the BST section it be a heck of a lot better then the favoritism that goes on right now. I imagine posting this though means I'll end up with another random ban that I will not be able to do anything about.

InFloW, Aug 17, 2009 IP
    JoyGoRound likes this.
  19. RickS01

RickS01 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I like this idea. How about, exactly what InFloW said, limit each user account so that they can only make 1 thread per week per section AND if they want to make another thread, charge them $2 or something for each new additional thread started. Or $4 or something...

But as it stands, I find this to be the case:

Incidentally, I was over at shawn's blog today [never been there before] and he said:
    - I am red with shame... lol I think this describes me!

Maybe you should sell DP Shawn?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
    RickS01, Aug 18, 2009 IP
  20. thatsfine

thatsfine Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @Shawn:

You know that 90% users use BST and when the good threads from reputed sellers go to 30-40 page then tell me which buyer will search 30-40 pages.

Now only posts of new users stay on first page so the SCAM ratio has increased too much.

There is only one solutions which will solve this issue and will make you earn $10-20k/month.

The solution is that you should charge upto $20 for each new thread in BST so it will stop spam and will make you earn and change the default sort order to Last Post or the new buyers will not be able to find the right person and the scams will increase.

I think this is the best way for this!

and you will cover all your resources expenses.

Please think for this once.

thatsfine, Aug 19, 2009 IP