1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Suggestion Why not allow a banned user to PM a Mod?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Brian1970, Aug 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c4gamerz

c4gamerz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would suggest to create a new user group called Premium members just like other popular forums do, you can also create a special section for these premium members. Than you can add some weight or you can say give priority to VIP members for resolving such issues. Something like that may work!

c4gamerz, Aug 16, 2009 IP
  2. plutoegg

plutoegg Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah actually I think that would be quite good. Possibly not being able to PM a mod, but some method of contact with DP which allows them to appeal their ban. Possibly it was a mistake and they infact dont have a duplicate account or whatever, and they have some proof. That way they can send the proof and get unbanned.

plutoegg, Aug 16, 2009 IP
    Professional Dude likes this.
  3. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @ c4gamerz, if you're suggesting premium members review bans, it just wouldn't work.

- how are they supposed to know if its a duplicate account without seeing IP's
    - they can't see infractions
    - they can't see deleted posts.

To get around these, you would pretty much have moderators. If people are paying for it, whats to stop a 'bad' guy from signing up, and just using the priority to scam members and stuff?

peter_anderson, Aug 16, 2009 IP
  4. Stroh

Stroh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    And what's to stop them if they decided well hey I'll use a proxy and scam someone.

Stroh, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  5. c4gamerz

Best Answers:
    Nope i am not suggesting premium member review bans, i am talking about a separate group just like registered users but with a special status and their you can create a request forum for banned premium members where those banned members would be able to post a request for review! Its just a suggestion and can be improved with some other ideas!

But you are right that bad guys can abuse this feature but still their should be a way to post a review request. Maybe moderators can give priority to members with good post count or good itrader?

c4gamerz, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  6. noneed

noneed Active Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly!! This should definitely help curb the dupe a/c by at least 90%. as mods/admin cannot give more time reading the members problems (for obvious reasons personal life, moderating and maintaining forums) there can be a new group called something like DP union or DP reviewers and their work would be divided like this

- All banned members can contact them and they will help resolve their issues.
    - They can have some moderating powers (like they should be allowed to check for dupe a/c, Ban/unban a user)

And it would be a social service, there's many members willing to help.

noneed, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  7. c4gamerz

Best Answers:
    lol sorry my previous post was not clear about what i am thinking but it does generate an idea lol

you may read it like this
    I am talking about a separate group just like registered users but with a special status like premium members where they would have to pay fee to get some special features like a separate forum section for them and within that forum you can create a request forum for banned premium members where those banned members would be able to post a request for review!

That's what i mean ^^

8. noneed

noneed Active Member

Best Answers:
    Paying just to request 2 get unbanned?? why pay when u can do it the better way as i said above i guess the feature should be available to everyone and not just a certain group of people.

noneed, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  9. c4gamerz

Best Answers:
    ahh i didnt wanted to show an example here as it may hurt dp rules but anyways just check webhostingtalk premium member feature and you will understand what i mean!

10. buffalo

buffalo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Banned DP members contact me all the time on other forums asking me to review their bans. Being the incredibly nice person that I am, I check into ALL OF THEM. I have spent countless hours reading profile notes, checking IPs, re-doing work that has already been done by another mod.

Wanna guess how many I have found to be mistakenly banned??? One. Yes, one person was telling the truth. The rest were lying and wasting my time.

Why in the world would we want to create an easy way for someone to appeal their bans when so few are banned because of mod errors? We would waste too much time reviewing bans that are usually accurate in the first place. :rolleyes:

buffalo, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  11. noneed

noneed Active Member

Best Answers:
    i agree, but even mods are humans and humans usually make mistakes ;) If its not today it can happen tomorrow to someone mistakenly and every member has a right to appeal and in case mods find it wasting of time to read their appeals u can opt for the option i mentioned above.

noneed, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  12. peter_anderson

Best Answers:
    Nobody has a right to appeal, lol. This is a privately owned forum, not a country.

peter_anderson, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  13. noneed

noneed Active Member

Best Answers:
    let me be specific "Right to appeal only if they were mistakenly banned" :D

noneed, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  14. peter_anderson

Best Answers:
    Everyone would say they were mistakenly banned, though? As Buffy said.

15. noneed

noneed Active Member

Best Answers:
    yup that's the reason why i suggested the option above :)

noneed, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  16. buffalo

Best Answers:
    Plenty of people find a way to contact mods to complain about bans/infractions as it is. ;)

buffalo, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  17. noneed

noneed Active Member

Best Answers:
    They do but not everyone, for example if a member is mistakenly banned on DP and he has no friends on DP who can contact the mod what will he do?

1) Email - which i guess isn't monitored for sure.
    2) The second easiest way would be make a new a/c and PM a mod/admin, but there's a catch all new a/cs goes under mod queue, mods can easily make out if it's a dupe id from same IP and thinking the same they will delete the new id.

So ultimately what can the member do at that stage??

noneed, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  18. buffalo

Best Answers:
    Well, like I said before, people are always contacting me at other webmaster forums.

That's not correct at all.

buffalo, Aug 17, 2009 IP
    metros likes this.
  19. peter_anderson

Best Answers:
    Why are you so desperate to stick up for banned users? I doubt there is a huge number of members banned by mistake.

20. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    People are *always* innocent in their minds.

Here's a perfect example of a message from a banned member... (I cut out some of the more boring parts of the message and also changed the name of the accounts in question to account1 and account2).

They were mad because their first account got a permanent ban when they thought they could create all the accounts they wanted and the first account would never be permanently banned. Weeeee... duplicate account immunity! :)

digitalpoint, Aug 17, 2009 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.